Presentation on theme: "1. Objective (READ) SWBAT explain why the Amazon rainforest is disappearing. 2. Question of the Day. (TURN OBJECTIVE INTO A QUESTION) 3. Warm-up (ANSWER)"— Presentation transcript:
1. Objective (READ) SWBAT explain why the Amazon rainforest is disappearing. 2. Question of the Day. (TURN OBJECTIVE INTO A QUESTION) 3. Warm-up (ANSWER) 1. Explain Vertical Climate Zones in your own words. 2. Llama herding happens in which vertical climate zone? (p. 208)
Latin America Warm-ups DateQuestion of the Day Warm-up 1/7 Why is the Amazon Rainforest disappearing? 1. Vertical Climate zones are different types of climate in the Andes mountains. 2. Tierra Helada is the only zone cold enough for Llamas.
Table of Contents DateTitleLesson # 12/11Modern Russia45 **LATIN AMERICA UNIT** 1/6Cover Page46 1/7Physical Geography47 1/8Deforestation48 1. Find the next available fresh page after your warm- ups, title it Deforestation.
Deforestation in the Amazon Rainforest
1. Intro - The Amazon rainforest in Brazil is disappearing. 2. Deforestation the cutting down and clearing of trees and forests.
3. Why? - Groups are cutting down the rainforest for economic reasons. 4. Effects - Brazil’s GDP has increased - They have a trade surplus – they are exporting goods from the rainforest.
4. More Effects - Native groups are threatened
4. More Effects - Climate change worldwide increases because of rainforest destruction
Rainforest Project You will be assigned to a group and provided with introductory research. Your group must create a presentation that will be given to a panel including me and student judges. The panel will decide the answer to the key question: Will Brazil conserve or economically develop the rainforest?
Rubric 1. Power point – 40 points Accuracy = 30 (get yours approved) all facts are accurate, everything required is there Appearance = 10 Picture represents most important reasons, uses color appropriately, spelling/grammar is good
2. Presentation – 30 points Accuracy – 10 all facts are accurate, able to respond to questions correctly and effectively Delivery – 10 loud enough, persuasive for judges, does not use slang/poor grammar Participation – 10 everyone is involved and has a role in the presentation
Poster Requirements Each poster/power point must have: 1. Slide 1: Title – your group’s profession and students’ names 2. Info - A. Slide 2: Key Question Are you for or against rainforest destruction? B. Slides 3, 4, and 5: - At least 3 reasons that support your position (the more the better) - Explanation for each reason - Pictures – include at least two pictures to represent your position.
Additional Research BBC Article University of Michigan Article
Roles: 1. General – makes sure the group follows group procedures 2. Materials Specialist – accesses the computer/materials 3. Recorder – uses computer skills to develop a good power point presentation.
Groups There are seven groups. After I put up the groups: 1. Go to your group’s location. 2. Desk Olympics 3. Elect a General, Recorder, and Materials Specialist.
ConversationYes, whisper, to YOUR GROUP, be on task HelpOrso, notebook, text, group members ActivityCreating products MovementYes, to get with group, desk olympics No, use hand signals after seated ParticipationRight = whispering, working, helping Wrong = talking to other groups, not participating, not helping Activity GROUPS
Team 1 Saber Collette Omar Team 2 Yasmin A. Zach Andy Team 3 Ivette Ricardo Hannah Team 4 Chris Thomas Sam Connie Team 5 Emily Brian Ali Team 6 Mario Sarah Yasman W. Team 7 Rade Sharon Jazzelle
Team 1 Phil Andrew Eloy Patryck Team 2 Shay Ashlee Jennifer Team 3 Tray Marquise Debbie Nancy Team 4 Trevor Karen Terrance Team 5 Breann Lidia Jon Team 6 Anthony Vanessa Alex Brittany Team 7 Michelle Tracy Austin
Team 1 Brian Team 2 Brianna Team 3 Priscilla Team 4 Norma Team 5 Akera S. Team 6 Lizbeth Team 7 Mark
Team 1 Brian Karen Laquisha James Team 2 Brianna Daisy Eric Aaron Yessenia Team 3 Priscilla Flores Nathan John Gerardo Team 4 Norma Jose Tambitha Emanuel Traci Team 5 Akera S. Akira B. Joey Melissa Team 6 Lizbeth Kylon Darmarkis Travone Team 7 Mark Israel Jordan Chris
Team 1 Lukes Jessie Jenny Jeramee Anthony Team 2 Alexis Ricky Jennifer Anfernee Jessica Team 3 Chris B. Edwin Kevin Wendy Team 4 Anibal Kelly Luigi Jon Team 5 Pena Jose Ochoa Kristin Team 6 Makeda Colin Fateema Walter Team 7 Rudi Corey Shelton Chris S. Amber
Team 1 Tran Team 2 Sandra Team 3 Dillard Team 4 Victor Team 5 Jared Team 6 Tex Team 7 Mahdeya
Team 1 Tran Baylee Renee Rodrigue z Team 2 Sandra Breseida Tlha Andrew Team 3 Dillard Paola Kathleen Team 4 Victor Aundrea Ana Leontios Team 5 Jared Delmy Xiamara Ashley Team 6 Tex Jessica Allison Team 7 Mahdeya Barbie Reese
Rainforest Uses Clip Questions: 1) Create a list of items or products that originate in the rainforest. 2) Explain what a rubber tapper does.
Possible Solutions: 1. Ecotourism – allowing people to tour the rainforest while preserving the region
2. Debt for Nature Swap - when an organization agrees to pay money that a government owes to others, IF that government agrees to protect parts of the rain forest.
To Do List – Friday Laptops – 2 per group Go to our site click 4 th marking period open the powerpoint called “Deforestation in the Amazon” 2. Begin researching. Access the additional research slide in the powerpoint. 3. Rough Draft Work together and create a rough draft of your poster or powerpoint presentation 4. Approval - Get your rough drafts approved.
Day 2 – Additional Research ory?id= http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireSt ory?id= stm#http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/ stm# ews/bizarre&id= http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=n ews/bizarre&id=