Presentation on theme: "THE GIFT OF MEMORIES Presented by: (add presenter name here) Written by: Drs. Claudio & Pamela Consuegra Directors of the Department of Family Ministries."— Presentation transcript:
THE GIFT OF MEMORIES Presented by: (add presenter name here) Written by: Drs. Claudio & Pamela Consuegra Directors of the Department of Family Ministries for the North American Division of the Seventh-day Adventist Church From Revival and Reformation: Building Family Memories
The memory of the righteous is blessed Proverbs 10:7 (NKJV)
1. JUST A CEREMONY? “It will come to pass when you come to the land which the LORD will give you, just as He promised, that you shall keep this service. And it shall be, when your children say to you, ‘What do you mean by this service?’ that you shall say, ‘It is the Passover sacrifice of the LORD, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt when He struck the Egyptians and delivered our households.’ ” So the people bowed their heads and worshiped. Exodus 12:25-27 (NKJV)
1. JUST A CEREMONY?
For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.“ 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 (NKJV)
1. JUST A CEREMONY? In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes. 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 (NKJV)
1. JUST A CEREMONY? “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 19:14 NKJV)
2. JUST A PILE OF STONES? “Take for yourselves twelve men from the people, one man from every tribe, 3 and command them, saying, ‘Take for yourselves twelve stones from here, out of the midst of the Jordan, from the place where the priests’ feet stood firm. You shall carry them over with you and leave them in the lodging place where you lodge tonight.’ ” 4 Then Joshua called the twelve men whom he had appointed from the children of Israel, one man from every tribe; Joshua 4:2-7 (NKJV)
2. JUST A PILE OF STONES? 5 and Joshua said to them: “Cross over before the ark of the LORD your God into the midst of the Jordan, and each one of you take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the children of Israel, 6 that this may be a sign among you when your children ask in time to come, saying, ‘What do these stones mean to you?’ Joshua 4:2-7 (NKJV)
2. JUST A PILE OF STONES? 7 Then you shall answer them that the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD; when it crossed over the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. And these stones shall be for a memorial to the children of Israel forever.” Joshua 4:2-7 (NKJV)
2. JUST A PILE OF STONES?
“Each time an individual tells part of his/her life story, those who listen are like a mirror, reflecting and affirming their lives.” John Kunz
3. JUST A DAY?
“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.” Exodus 20:8 (NKJV)
4. JUST A BOOK? a.Imagination. b.Communication c.Understanding d.Knowledge e.Concentration and memory f.Application forms g.Personal interests
5. JUST MEMORIES? “Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren.” Deuteronomy 4:9 (NKJV)
5. JUST MEMORIES? 1. Family Meals 2. Photo Albums 3. Art 4. Become the family “archaeologist” 5. Learn music together 6. Record stories 7. Memory box
Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, Before the difficult days come, And the years draw near when you say, “I have no pleasure in them.” Ecclesiastes 12:1 (NKJV)