Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

New Topic: Education as a profession?  sfdas  The social closure view  Licensing/barriers to entry  Extended training (distinctive knowledge base)

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "New Topic: Education as a profession?  sfdas  The social closure view  Licensing/barriers to entry  Extended training (distinctive knowledge base)"— Presentation transcript:

1

2 New Topic: Education as a profession?

3  sfdas

4  The social closure view  Licensing/barriers to entry  Extended training (distinctive knowledge base)  Collective power to control work  Public trust  The discretion view  Not carefully overseen  Requires discretion; not deskilled  The collective standards view  Collectively define standards of good practice

5 Yes  There is some form of licensing  Specific body of knowledge No  Social closure weak/barriers to entry low  No graduate school  No necessary minimum  Private schools no minimums  Broad disparities in quality of the profession  Tenure protections – can’t be fired for failing as a professional Education are like other indeterminate fields Journalism and business

6  K-12  Institutionalized as administrator-dominated bureaucracy (progressive era) Male administrators; female teachers High level of discretion (close your door power) Low level of collective power for teachers

7  K-12  Unionization Needed in part b/c of weak “semi-professionalization” Followed industrial union model Calcified idea that teachers not collectively responsible for educational decisions  Two parts of being a professional, both under assault: Always suspicion of knowledge base Unionization undermines “moral power”/public trust

8  Higher Education  Institutionalized as faculty-run (progressive era) Faculty decide what counts as legitimate scholarship Departmental structure Peer review/distinctive knowledge base Ph.D. – social closure High level of discretion (close your door power) Also high level of collective power Faculty decide who is hired Faculty decide who gets tenure  Recently under assault, but underlying structure protects

9  Asf  adsf

10 Yes  If anyone can teach, not a profession No  Higher internal standards of practice – ironically more similar to how real professions function

11 1. Follow law and medicine (and Singapore):  Longer training  Tighter standards of entry 2. Increase collective standards, but not social closure  Instructional rounds  Peer assistance and review  Training on site rather than in classroom 3. Weaken unions, improve results all else will follow  No a priori decisions on professions, guide by results  Not yet a profession, improved results key to become one

12 Follow law and medicine (and Singapore): Increase collective standards, but not social closure Weaken unions, improve results all else will follow:

13 Some estimates from McKinsey 2010:  Currently, 23% total top third, 14% in HP schools  (Contrast to 100% top third in Finland, Singapore, Korea How could we attract more top third in U.S.? (Two scenarios)

14 Scenario 1: Working conditions, no across board pay  Initial training: paid for  Effective leadership in high needs schools  District improve unsafe/shabby working conditions  Performance bonuses 20 percent  Marketing campaign  Total increase: From 14% top third to 34% top third  Total cost: Large district $10 – 30 million, average state $66 million (.5% of total spending)

15 Scenario 2: Increase pay  $65,000 starting teachers  Max compensation $150,000  Total increase: From 14% top third to 68% top third  Total cost: Average state $630 million (5% of total spending)

16 New Topic: Bob Schwartz on Finland (with a bonus discussion of common core standards)


Download ppt "New Topic: Education as a profession?  sfdas  The social closure view  Licensing/barriers to entry  Extended training (distinctive knowledge base)"

Similar presentations


Ads by Google