Presentation on theme: "Diane Thorson MS, PHN, RN Otter Tail County Public Health."— Presentation transcript:
Diane Thorson MS, PHN, RN Otter Tail County Public Health
* Community facilitates documentation and analysis of population- focused interventions, p 26. * Suggests to whom the problem pertains
* Active Tuberculosis * Animal Bites * Other Disease investigations * Refugee Health
Areas of PH Responsibility 1.Preventing Vaccine Preventable Diseases a. rabies 2.Preventing Injuries a. Recurrent animal bites 3.Protecting from Environmental Hazards a. Public Health Nuisance
* Evidence Base * Minnesota Department of Health Animal Bites and Rabies Risk: a guide for health professionals * Problem * Communicable/Infectious Condition-investigation * Medication Regimen-rabies prophylaxis
* Evidence Base * Minnesota Department of Health Animal Bites and Rabies Risk: a guide for health professionals * Otter Tail County Animal Control Ordinance * Otter Tail County Public Health Nuisance Policy * Problems * Communicable/Infectious Condition-investigation * Medication Regimen-rabies prophylaxis * Neighborhood Workplace/Safety
* Assessment * 54 Animal bite incidents in 2012 * 30% of animals were not UTD with rabies vaccinations * 4 animals euthanized after bite incident * Planning * Continue to provide phone call follow-up after bite incidence * Amend Animal Control Ordinance without UTD rabies to be quarantined at a vet clinic.