Presentation on theme: "Sambir – one of the oldest towns in the Eastern Galicia. The town is first mentioned in writing in 1241, even though there are reports about existence."— Presentation transcript:
Sambir – one of the oldest towns in the Eastern Galicia. The town is first mentioned in writing in 1241, even though there are reports about existence of human settlement in this area still in prehistoric times. Thanks to the favourable geographical location and rich historical heritage, the town has a considerable potential for the development of the tourist industry. Туристичний потенціал міста Самбора
The town of Sambir is located 75 km away from the administrative Oblast centre – Lviv. It has a railway junction of two railway lines Lviv – Sianky and Drohobych – Przemysl. Car routes Lviv – Staiy Sambir – Turka – Ushgorod and Drohobych – Mościska – Przemyśl also go through the town. The distance to the international border checkpoint Medyka – Shehyni is 50 km and to the border checkpoint Smilnycia – Krościenko – 42 km.
Greek-Catholic Church of the „Birth of the Holy Mother of God” from the 18th century The church was built in the Ukrainian baroque style. Inside there is a miraculous icon of the Holy Mother and relics of St. Valentine sent by the Vatican on 13 May 1759.
The Town Hall Built in 1668 on the old foundations left after the Town Hall, which burnt down in 1637. The new Town Hall – is a two-storey brick building with a 38-meter high tower. In 1885 a clock bought in Prague was installed on the tower. The clock works until this day and the first clock was installed in 1670.
The organ hall (St. Stanislav’s Church) Established as the church of the Holy Mother of God in the cloister of the Jesuit Order. In 1773 the Pope Clemens closed down the Jesuit Order and the cloister was used by the Austrian authorities for the purpose of different institutions. In 1847 the authorities returned the Church to the renewed Bernadine Order (closed down by the Emperor Joseph II in 1786) and it began to be called the church of St. Stanislav. At present, the church contains an organ hall of chamber music, which is characterized by wonderful acoustics (the sound lingers in the air for 6.5 sec.)
The church of John the Baptist The construction of the church began in 1530. In this place there was a wooden church from 1370, burnt by the Tatars. This church from brick was also on fire in 1637 but it was restored. After the last fire the church was redecorated in 1846.
Sambir’s museums Museum of „Boiko culture” The museum of „Boiko culture” was established in the town of Sambir in October 1927. It was later closed down and plundered by the Russian occupants in July 1954. The museum was reopened in December 1990. The exhibits in the museum of “Boiko culture” show everyday life, culture, traditions and the fight for freedom of the Boiko country. Besides scientific and research work as well as organizing conferences and seminars, employees of the museum also publish books, folders, monographs and provide guided tours of the city for tourists.
Sambir’s museums Museum of Les Kurbas An artistic museum of Les Kurbas is located in a building where on 25 February 1887 the actor and the film director was born. The museum comprises three permanent and also temporary exhibitions. Scientific conferences are organized here, lectures are given and scientific work is conducted based on the collected resources. Les Kurbas’s monument has been put up in front of the Folks House of the town of Sambir.
A beautiful panoramic view of the town from the Town Hall’s balcony, the tower of the church of John the Baptist, the Hotel Imperial and other buildings. A few viewing points should be arranged for tourists in these places.
The central rectangular square in the town. The Town Hall is situated in the centre of the square, where you can also find monuments of T. Shevchenko, the Mother Ukraine and a municipal fountain. A pedestrian zone and paths go through the square. The square is circled by tenement houses, which are local places of architectural interest. There are also shops, offices, restaurants and a hotel. The market square owes its name to the fact that in the past, in the very same place, there was a market where fairs used to be held.
Sambir’s places of architectural interest Tourists should pay attention to the buildings dating back to 17th, 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. Most of them are located in the central part of the town of Sambir, around the Market Square and in adjacent streets.
Remains of fortifications and the underground part of Sambir The underground section of the town and remains of the fortifications, which can be found in some streets in the town of Sambir may become places of tourist interest. Unfortunately, at present, the underground section of the town has not been properly examined or tidied up and this part of the town has yet to be made safe for visitors. Remains of town walls next to the Church of John the Baptist A part of the underground section of the town
Музей Бойківщина Площа Ринок Музей Леся Курбаса Школа декоративно- ужиткового мистецтва Samir – the cultural centre of the Boiko country – the Boiko Museum, the Market Square – the Museum of Les Kurbas – the School of Decorative Arts Костел Св. Іоанна Хрестителя Ратуша Органний зал Церква Різдва Пресвятої Богородиці Sambir’s historical pearls – the church of John the Baptist, the Town Hall, the Organ Hall, the Greek-Catholic Church of the Holy Mother of God All the visitors to the city can choose from two tourist routes presenting the architectural places of interest and the museums of the town of Sambir.
For tourists’ comfort a tourist-information centre has been set up in the town of Sambir, which provides information and organizes guided trips of the town. Moreover, in the town there is a hotel, a few motels as well as bars and restaurants catering to all tastes and pockets. Imperial hotel Leisure centre „Bilaky” Motel Pit-stop Motel Sonata Motel Randez vous Cafe Milena Cafe-bar Romantic