Presentation on theme: "Wanda L. Carter EDU 320 Spring 2011. * Assesses reading ability at emergent through high school levels. * Provide information about: 1. Conditions under."— Presentation transcript:
* Assesses reading ability at emergent through high school levels. * Provide information about: 1. Conditions under which students can identify words and comprehend text successfully 2. Conditions that appear to result in unsuccessful word identification or comprehension -Use to identify students’ reading levels -includes both expository and narrative passages at each level, concept questions to assess prior knowledge, and word lists -Can measure implicit and explicit questions Focuses assessment on specific questions regarding word identification, fluency, and comprehension
* Areas of concern: Reading, written language, math, content areas, and speech * Susan is below grade level in all areas * Interventions and /or accommodations in place already: Susan is on an IEP. There are 5 goals on her IEP. * Background Information * Student Behaviors
Interest Survey: a. Who lives in your house? b. What kinds of jobs do you have at home? c. What is one thing you really like to do at home? d. Do you have a bedtime on school nights? e. Do you have a TV in your room? f. When you make a new friend, what is something that your friend ought to know about you? g. Do you know somebody that is a good reader? What makes that person a good reader? Are you a good reader?
-Can distinguish illustrations from print -Can point to the end of the text/print -Can point to a specific word on request
* Level: Pre-Primer 1 * “I Can” * Concept Questions-Score: 1/12= 8% * Number of Total Miscues (Total Accuracy): 8 (Frustration) * Number of Meaning-Change Miscues (Total Acceptability): 8 (Frustration) * Similar Letter-sound patterns: 2/8= 25% * Meaning-change miscues: 8/8= 100% * Corrected meaning-change miscues: 0 * Non-meaning-change miscues: 0 * Corrected non-meaning change miscues: 0 * Total Accuracy: 78% (Frustration)Total Acceptability: 78% (Frustration) * WPM: 14CWPM: 11 * Number of ideas recalled= 6/12= 50% * Number Correct Explicit: 5Number of Correct Implicit: 0 (Independent) QRI-5
* Goal would be to move Susan from emergent reading to beginning reading * She will need many opportunities to see and experiment with written language. * Choral recitation and finger point memory reading with predictable books. * Encourage to write. * Guided reading and independent reading daily. Struggling readers only get better with practice * Interventions on sight words in context. * Words Their Way would be beneficial for Susan. This would give Susan hands-on opportunities to manipulate word features. Susan
* Needs help with background knowledge. This would help her to be better prepared to understand what she is reading. * Comprehension * Easily distracted or off task- break tasks into smaller segments or give frequent breaks * Build her interest in reading. Give her lots of successful experiences reading. * Needs books in her zone of proximal development. Teacher needs to model reading with expression. Susan has a sense of humor and an eagerness to learn