Presentation on theme: "A city in eastern Slovakia the third-largest city in the country. with a population of approximately 91,000 has a lot of historical monuments: Historically,"— Presentation transcript:
a city in eastern Slovakia the third-largest city in the country. with a population of approximately 91,000 has a lot of historical monuments: Historically, the city has been known as: Eperjes in Hungarian, Eperies or Preschau in Germán Fragopolis in Latin, Preszów in Polish, Peryeshis in Romany, Пряшев (Pryashev) in Russian Пряшів (Priashiv) in Rusyn and Ukrainian.
Concathedral of St. Nicholas in Prešov is one of the oldest churches in Slovakia Patron of the church is St. Nicholas Concathedral was built in gothic style
Original church comes from 1230 The church was rebuilt in half of 14. century The church was burned out five times (the biggest fire was in 1788) after this fires came next rebuildings and repairs Central altar originate from 1490-1506 by Jan Weiss 1823 closed down cemetery around the church 9. august 2008 promoted on Concathedral
Concathedral is 54 meters long, 34 meters wide, 16 meters high, but the tower is 71 meters high Five altars and two organs Big organ has 3,480 fluepipes and 20 bells Small organ is older than big organ
Calvary of Prešov is a coplex of baroque chapells and the central church, situated on a hill at the west edge of the town. In the past it was considered as one of the most beautiful calvaries in Ugria. Building began in 1720 but the whole complex was finished in the 1893. The calvary includes 15 chapells catacombs cemetery and the church of saint cross
The church of saint cross It is the baroque church built in 1753. Building works were led by František Perger. Interior wall-paintings are creation of Prešov painter, Ondrej Trtina. Inner space is opticaly extended. Beyond altar,there are three crosses. In the church there are also three bells and an organ. The church was hallowed in 1769.
This fountain is the only one orginaly preserved town cistern. There were 10 similar cistern in the town before. Marek Holländer,the Jewish trador, had the sculpture built as a thanks to the town concil for a permission to run bussines in Prešov. The sculpture was built in 1826 by Vincent Staviarsky and restored at the beginning of 20. century. History
The sculpture is situated at the northern part of town square. It is incorrectly called Trojica. Since the 1687 there was a scaffold of Prešov bloody court. In 1751 Jesuits had the sculpture built accordig to reassons that are not actually clear. History
The sandstone sculpture is a creation of unknown artist. The basis of the sculpture is gilded statue of Madona with a baby, crown and a sceptre.There are only few statues preserved now. The monument was restored in 1967 and then in 1995-1997.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.