Presentation on theme: "Sungai Ara Gospel Hall AS A FATHER… 17 June, 2010 by K.C. Ung Text: For whom the LORD loveth He correcteth; even as a father the son in whom He delighteth."— Presentation transcript:
Sungai Ara Gospel Hall AS A FATHER… 17 June, 2010 by K.C. Ung Text: For whom the LORD loveth He correcteth; even as a father the son in whom He delighteth. Pro. 3:12 WHAT GOD THE HEAVENLY FATHER EXPECTS OF THE EARTHLY FATHER Because the LORD disciplines those He loves, as a father the son he delights in. Pro. 3:12. NIV [Fatherhood: Making a Lifetime of Difference. Rose Publishing]
A. G OD, THE F ATHER C HERISHES ALL HIS C HILDREN.Prov. 3:12 1.God shows Love to all without Prejudice, even as He Delights in His only Son! a.God Delights in all and His Son Reflects it – Jn. 6:37 All that the Father giveth Me shall come to Me; and him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out. Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. b. God Discriminates against none, and His Son Rejects none – Mk. 10:14, 15 Jesus loves the little children, All the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, All are precious in His sight, Jesus died for all the children of the world.
1. God shows Love to all without Prejudice. 2. God Promises to be Present with them. a.He is Father to and with them. He is a father of the fatherless…Psa. 68:5 He shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers. Mal. 4:6 a.He is a father Who Accepts and is Approachable to them. The Lord disciplines those…He loves, and chastises every child whom He accepts.Heb. 12:6, NRSV He hath made us accepted in the beloved.Eph. 1:6
1. God shows Love to all without Prejudice. 2. God Promises to be Present with them. 3. God Expects an Earthly father to take Delight in his children… -even as a father the son in whom he delighteth. Pro. 3:12 i.He should be Present with and Part of them. Cf. Lk. 2:40, 52 He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. —Clarence Budington Kelland I talk and talk and talk, and I haven’t taught people in 50 years what my father taught by example in one week. —Mario Cuomo
He can be Present by… (a) Showing hospitality to all people, big and small, important and humble. Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.Rom. 12:13 A bishop then must be…given to hospitality, apt to teach;I Tim. 3:2; cp. Tit. 1:8 Use hospitality one to another without grudging. I Pet. 4:9 (b) Sharing with them or being involved in their learning skills. (c) Letting them See and be part of our own Struggles. (d) Setting the lead in being examples of life’s lessons. (e) Leading them to the Source of all wisdom and guidance – the Scriptures.
ii. He Accepts and is Approachable to them. A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty. Author Unknown He can Accept them and be Approachable to them by: (a) Sharing and participating in their interests. (b) Succouring them with their school work. (c) Spending time with them. (d) Supporting and paying attention to them, whenever they require our attention, (e) Supplicating with our children. My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, “You’re tearing up the grass.” “We’re not raising grass,” Dad would reply. “We’re raising boys.” —Harmon Killebrew
4. Contrast Jacob, an example of a poor father to his son, Joseph: Jacob (Israel) Pampered Joseph with a multi- Coloured Coat.Gen. 37:3, 4 Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a coat of many colours. And when his brethren saw that their father loved him more than all his brethren, they hated him, and could not speak peaceably unto him.
4. Contrast Jacob, an example of a poor father to his son, Joseph a.Its Significance: Jacob favoured Joseph above the rest with the intent of granting him all or a larger portion of the inheritance. i.For Joseph was the Firstborn of Rachel, Jacob’s loved wife (30:22-24). ii.For Joseph was the Favourite son of his old age. b.Its Sad mistake: Jacob should have remembered what parental favouritism did to his family. [It had separated him from his loving mother (Gen. 27:1-28:5), and it would separate Joseph from Jacob] i.His brothers Stripped him of the coat and later Sold him as a Slave.Gen. 37:23 ii.It later brought Sadness to the father for the rest of his life.Gen. 37:32
5. DAD, YOU ARE IMPORTANT! ( Substantial Statistics from Serious US Studies) FACT: A study using a national probability sample of 1,250 fathers showed that children whose fathers share meals, spend leisure time with them, or help them with reading or homework do significantly better academically than those children who do not.” FACT: Fathers who are involved on a personal level with their child’s schooling increase the likelihood of their child’s achievement. When fathers assume a positive role in their child’s education, students feel a positive impact. FACT: Health: Almost 9 of 10 adolescents aged 15–17 living with their biological married parents reported to be in excellent or very good health, compared to less than 8 of 10 of those living with a single parent.
5. D AD, YOU ARE IMPORTANT ! ( Substantial Statistics from Serious US Studies) FACT: Child abuse: The overall rate of child abuse and neglect in single-parent households is 27.3 children per 1,000, whereas the rate of overall maltreatment in two-parent households is 15.5 per 1,000. FACT: Drug use: Youths are more at risk of first substance use without a highly involved father. Each unit increase in father involvement is associated with 1% reduction in substance use. Living in an intact family also decreases the risk of first substance use. FACT: Sexual activity: Researchers using a pool from both the U.S. and New Zealand found strong evidence that father absence has an effect on early sexual activity and teenage pregnancy. Teens without fathers were twice as likely to be involved in early sexual activity and seven times more likely to get pregnant as an adolescent.
A. G OD, THE F ATHER C HERISHES ALL HIS C HILDREN.Prov. 3:12 B. GOD THE FATHER DELIGHTS IN AND DISCIPLINES, CORRECTS AND CHASTENS THEM.Heb. 12:6 For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; The LORD Disciplines those He loves, as a father the son he Delights in. Pro. 3:12, NIV The Lord Disciplines those whom He loves, and chastises every child whom He accepts. Heb. 12:6, NRSV Correcteth yakach, from root = to be right (i.e. correct); …chasten, convince, correct (-ion)…plead, reason (together), rebuke, reprove (-r).
1. Consider the Chastening of the Lord because He loves and Cherishes His Children. Heb. 12:5-11, NIV a. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when He rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes everyone He accepts as a son." b. Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? c. If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.
1. Consider the Chastening of the Lord because He loves and Cherishes His Children. Heb. 12:5-11, NIV d. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! e. Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness. f. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
2.The earthly father should Delight in his Children and Discipline them when they Disobey. Heb. 12:6 a.For what son is not disciplined by his father? Heb. 12:7b b.The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame. Pro. 29:15 c.Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.Pro. 22:6 d.When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.II Tim. 1:5
3. Father David Pandered to his sons’ Deviant ways and did not Correct them. Now Joab the son of Zeruiah perceived that the king's heart was toward Absalom. II Sam. 14:1 David did not Discipline… a.Ammon when he Raped Tamar, Absalom’s full sister. II Sam. 13:1-14, 15 b.Absalom, when he Recruited men to himself against David. II Sam. 15:1-6b The Rebels proclaimed Absalom king over Hebron. II Sam. 15:10 Yet the king gave orders that his son be spared. II Sam. 18:5, 12
Other Occurrences of As A Father: C. GOD THE FATHER COMMUNICATES TO HIS EARTHLY FATHERS WHAT HE EXPECTS OF THEM. 1.The Father should show Compassion to his Children. Psa. 103:13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
a. First, teach his children the Fear [yare' = reverent] of the Lord. Deut. 4:9, 10 Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons; Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather Me the people together, and I will make them hear My words, that they may learn to fear Me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children.
a. First, teach his children the Fear [yare' = reverent] of the Lord. ii. Deut. 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear Me, and keep all My commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! iii. Deut. 31:13 And that their children, which have not known any thing, may hear, and learn to fear the LORD your God, as long as ye live in the land whither ye go over Jordan to possess it. iv. Psa. 34:11 Come, ye children, hearken unto Me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
First, teach his children the Fear of the Lord. b. Then show the Children Compassion. Compare the prodigal son.Lk. 15:20-24 He arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.
2.The Father should Comfort and Charge his Children.I Thes. 2:11, 12, NRSV Ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children that ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto His kingdom and glory. [KJV] …like a father with his children, urging and encouraging you and pleading [NRSV] …as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you…[NIV] a.The father Counsels his children. b.The father Comforts his children. c.The father Charges his children.
Conclusion: Fathers are expected to treat their children well, So children are expected to treat their seniors as fathers.I Tim. 5:1, 2 Rebuke not an elder, but entreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren. The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity. KJV Do not speak harshly to an older man, but speak to him as to a father, to younger men as brothers, to older women as mothers, to younger women as sisters--with absolute purity. NRSV Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity.NIV
A BLESSED FATHER’s DAY To All Fathers Today God Bless ALL of YOU!