Presentation on theme: "Unit3 Text 1 Out oF SteP Warm-up Activity get out of my way, get out of my step, get out of my life."— Presentation transcript:
Unit3 Text 1 Out oF SteP
get out of my way, get out of my step, get out of my life
2. If you have a car,will you be driving it wherever you go? If not, when do you prefer to walk, and when to drive?Do you think people will become over-reliant on cars in the future? 1.The United States is said to be a nation on wheels.How important do you think is the car to an ordinary American?
Words and Expressions
Sedate: adj. Tending to avoid excitement or great activity and to be calm and relaxed.
E.g. The old gentleman,who lived alone all his life,was said to have some eccentric habits. Eccentric: adj. (of people or behavior)unconventional and slighly strange views or behavior.
Curb: n. A line of raised stones separating the footpath from the road E.g. Poor nutrition can curb a child’s development both physically and mentally.
Back 上一页 Contortion: n. movement of the body or face into an unusual shape of position E.g. The spectators cannot but admire the contortions of the acrobats.
Deform: v. Refers to change that disfigures and often implies the loss of desirable qualities such as beauty Eg. The earlier part of his discourse was deformed by pedantic
Back 下一页 上一页 Warp : v. It can refer to a turning or twisting from a flat or straight form Eg. The floorboards had warped over the years. It also can imply the bending or turning of something from a true course or direction. Eg. Prejudice warps the judgment..
Bring sth home to sb Make sb realize sth Eg. The news report has brought home to us all the plight of the prisoners of war.
Anew :again or once more, esp. in a different war E.g. The scientists started the experiment anew. The film tells anew the story of her rise to stardom.
Structural analysis of the text Out of step is an exposition that presents the absurdity of Americans’ car dependence. Americans,being so accustomed to using cars, have almost forgotten the existence of their legs.Wherever they go,they go in their cars.As a result,pedestrain facityes are neglected in city planning or rejected by the inhabitants.
Part I (paras. 1-6) In this part, the author presents the fact that the Americans are habituated to using cars for everything. Part II (paras ) In this part, the author explains that pedestrian facilities are neglected or discarded.
Main Idea of the Text
In the text, the author brings the attention of Americans to the fact that they walk too little by citing many of his personal experiences as well as others.
1. I had this brought home to me one summer when we were driving across Maine and stopped for coffee in one of those endless zones of shopping malls,motels,gas stations and fast- food places. was made to realize this
2. I noticed,there was a bookstore across the street so I decided to skip coffee and head over. decided not to have coffee and instead to go(to the bookstore
1. I confess it had not occurred to me how thoughlessly deficient nature is in this regrad. I admit that I had never realized how poorly equipped our bodies are in this respect.
2. …but afterward I realized that I was possibly the only person ever to have entertained the notion of negotiating that intersection on foot …maybe I was the only person who had ever attempted to cross that intersection on foot.
1.We will go through the most extraordinary contortions to save ourselves from walking. 为了避免走路，我们愿意承受反常的扭曲之苦。
2. At the time, it seemed ridiculous and exasperating, but afterwards I realized that I was possibly the only person ever to have entertained the notion of negotiating that intersection on foot. 当时，这一切显得多荒唐，多令人恼怒，但 过后我意识到，我或许是唯一 一个有过步行 穿过十字路口想法的人
E.g. Although the bookshop was no more than 70 or 80 feet away,I discovered that there was no way to cross on foot without dodging over six lanes of moving traffic. no more than 不过， 仅仅
Exercises 1.It will take no more than five days to read the book. 2. It’s no more than a misunderstanding. 3. It’s no more than ten minutes’ walk from the station. 4.Our new foreign trade policy is no more than some general practice in international trade.
Writing practice Write a 200-word composition on the topic “The Harm of Fake Commodities”. In the first part of your composition, describe how you first met and how long you have know each other. In the second part, say something about how you spend time together. In the last part, explain in brief why you think he/she is your best friend.