Presentation on theme: "Social Justice: Elements of a Just World"— Presentation transcript:
1Social Justice: Elements of a Just World Stage 1 Studies in ReligionCabra Dominican College 2011
2God’s dream for the world…. "God says to you, 'I have a dream. Please help me to realize it.’ It is a dream of a world whose ugliness and squalor and poverty, its war and hostility, its greed and harsh competitiveness, its alienation and disharmony are changed into their glorious counterparts.“Archbishop Desmond Tutu
4My image of a ‘Just World’…. What is YOUR IMAGE OF A JUST WORLD ?Take 5 minutes to think about it and write down some ideas to share with the class.
5Elements of a Just World 1. Concern for Basic NeedsConcern for Personal DignityConcern for Solidarity4. Concern for Social Structures
61. Concern for Basic Needs “God destined the earth and all it contains for allpeople and nations so that all created thingswould be shared fairly by all humankind underThe guidance of justice tempered by charity.”Vatican II, The Church in the Modern World, #69
81. Concern for Basic Needs FoodClothingShelterHealthcareRestEmploymentEqual OpportunitySocial ServicesEducation
92. Concern for Personal Dignity “Then God said: Let us make (people) in our image, after our likeness…” Genesis 1:26
102. Concern for Personal Dignity Valuing dignityrespecting worthright to self esteempersonal empowermentmake own decisionsparticipate in the decisions of country & communities.Sharing power
113. Concern for Solidarity “Furthermore since work which (people) share together causes them to have common hopes, sorrows, desires and joy it unites their wills, their minds and their hearts. For when (people) work they recognize one another as brothers and sisters” Pope Paul VI, On Promoting the Development of Peoples, no 27.
123. Concern for Solidarity working WITH, not working FORrecognizing that we are ONE human family: we need each other, the good of one coincides with the good of all.breakdown barriers between rich/poor, young/old, black/white,Inequity of powers requires a redistribution of power.
144. Concern for Social Structures “Society should be structured so that it is easy for people to be good” attributed to Peter Maurin, co-founder of the Catholic Worker Movement.
154. Concern for Social Structures recognizing that personal problems BECOME societal problemsSociety's education system, transport system, patterns of government spending, use of natural resources etc are all part of working towards a JUST worldWe need to transform societies structures to create a society that provides for all our basic needs and self-esteem.