Presentation on theme: "How to Say Thank You Roy Hoffman, US writer. OUTLINE 1. How to Say Thank You 2. Text Type 3. Main Ideas 4. Text Pattern 5. Language Points."— Presentation transcript:
How to Say Thank You Roy Hoffman, US writer
OUTLINE 1. How to Say Thank You 2. Text Type 3. Main Ideas 4. Text Pattern 5. Language Points
1. How to Say Thank You A thank-you note A thank-you phone A thank-you card/postcard A thank-you gift A verbal “thank you” A thank-you meal A thank-you visit How many ways are mentioned? A mail, a hand, … Any other ways?
2. Text Type Narration Description Exposition Argumentation 记叙文 a movie 描述文 a picture 说明文 a lecture 议论文 a debate What are the functions, kinds and usual organizations of expository writing?
3. Main Ideas 1.When …, many of us fall mute. 2.Sometimes the spoken word is not enough. 3.A thank-you note as a way of gratitude 4.Tips for writing a thank-you note 5.Be careful in choosing a thank-you card. Summarize each paragraph or look for the topic sentence or key words.
3. Main Ideas 6.A thank-you gift is best with a signature. 7.Thank-you gifts should never be too lavish. 8.Send a thank-you gift to your employer 9.Say thank you to your employees 10. It’s an act we need more of. Summarize each paragraph or look for the topic sentence or key words.
4. Text Pattern mute times price sign note tips card boss staff need note General gifts Business gifts card gift intro Intro-situation Coda: appeal body How to Say Thank You
5. Language Points Fall mute, amnesia, receipt, prickle, cram into, a touch of gratitude, sentiment, terse, prompt, resign myself to, adorn them with, gourmet, … Words and expressions Curiously, though, when … many of us fall mute. …they adorn them with baskets of flowers … It is an act we need more of --- one that help … Sentences Your questions?