Presentation on theme: "Работа выполнил: Селиванов Дмитрий. University of Southampton The arrival of Prime Minister Lord Palmerston for the opening of the Hartley Institute on."— Presentation transcript:
University of Southampton The arrival of Prime Minister Lord Palmerston for the opening of the Hartley Institute on 15 October 1862
Name: University of Southampton Motto: “Strenuis,Ardua,Cedunt”-The Heights Yield to Endeavour Established: 1952 - gained University status by Royal charter 1902 - University College 1862 - Hartley Institution Type: Public Endowment: £9.83 million (2010/11) Chancellor: Dame Helen Alexander Vice-Chancellor: Professor Don Nutbeam Visitor: The Lord President of the Council ex officio Admin. Staff: around 5,000 Students 23,315 Undergraduates: 16,470 Postgraduates: 6,850 Location: Southampton, United Kingdom General information
History The University of Southampton has its origin as the Hartley Institution which was formed in 1862 from a benefaction by Henry Robinson Hartley (1777–1850). Hartley had inherited a fortune from two generations of successful wine merchants. At his death in 1850, he left a bequest of £103,000 to the Southampton Corporation for the study and advancement of the sciences in his property on Southampton's High Street, in the city centre. “...employ the interest, dividends and annual proceeds in such a manner as best promote the study and advancement of the sciences of Natural History, Astronomy, Antiquities, Classical and Oriental Literature in the town, such as by forming a Public Library, Botanic Gardens, Observatory, and collections of objects with the above sciences.” —Bequest to the Corporation of Southampton of Henry Robertson Hartley estate. Hartley was an eccentric straggler, who had little liking of the new age docks and railways in Southampton. He did not desire to create a college for many (as formed at similar time in other English industrial towns and commercial ports) but a cultural centre for Southampton's intellectual elite. After lengthy legal challenges to the Bequest, and a public debate as to how best interpret the language of his Will, the Southampton Corporation choose to create the Institute In 1902, the Hartley College became the Hartley University College, a degree awarding branch of the University of London. This was after inspection of the teaching and finances by the University College Grants Committee, and donations from Council members (including William Darwin the then Treasurer). An increase in student numbers in the following years motivated fund raising efforts to move the college to greenfield land around Back Lane (now University Road) in the Highfield area of Southampton. On 20 June 1914, Viscount Haldane opened the new site of the renamed Southampton University College. However, the outbreak of the First World War six weeks later meant no lectures could take place there, as the buildings were handed over by the college authorities for use as a military hospital. In order to cope with the volume of casualties, wooden huts were erected at the rear of the building. These were donated to university by the War Office after the end of fighting, in time for the transfer from the high street premises in 1920. At this time, Highfield Hall, a former country house and overlooking Southampton Common, for which a lease had earlier been secured, commenced use as a halls of residence for female students. South Hill, on what is now the Glen Eyre Halls Complex was also acquired, along with South Stoneham House to house male students. Further expansions through the 1920s and 1930s was made possible through private donors, such as the two daughters of Edward Turner Sims for the construction of the University library, and from the people of Southampton, enabling new buildings on both sides of University Road. During World War II the university suffered damage in the Southampton Blitz with bombs landing on the campus and its halls of residence. The college decided against evacuation, instead expanding its Engineering Department, School of Navigation and developing a new School of Radio Telegraphy. Halls of residence were also used to house Polish, French and American troops. After the war, departments such as Electronics grew under the influence of Erich Zepler and the Institute of Sound and Vibration was established.
Faculty of Business and Law Law Management Winchester School of Art Faculty of Engineering and the Environment Civil Engineering and the Environment Engineering Sciences Institute of Sound and Vibration Research Faculty of Health Sciences Health Sciences Faculty of Humanities Archaeology English Film Studies History Modern Languages Music Philosophy Faculty of Medicine Medicine Complementary Medicine Research Unit Faculty of Natural and Environmental Sciences Biological Sciences Chemistry Ocean and Earth Science National Oceanography Centre Faculty of Physical and Applied Sciences Electronics and Computer Science Physics and Astronomy Optoelectronics Research Centre Faculty of Social and Human Sciences Education Geography and Environment Mathematics Psychology Social Sciences (Ageing, Economics, Politics & International Relations, Sociology & Social Policy, Criminology, Social Statistics & Demography and Social Work Studies) Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute Centre for Contemporary China ESRC - Doctoral Training Centre Faculties and academic units