Presentation on theme: "SRM Scenario Centennial, Colorado to Salt Lake City, Utah."— Presentation transcript:
SRM Scenario Centennial, Colorado to Salt Lake City, Utah
Background Information KAPA to KSLC Two adults and one child arrived from Wichita Kansas the previous day. The child is being taken to KSLC for open heart surgery and requires continual supplemental oxygen. The 2 adults are the child’s parents and neither have experience in GA aircraft.
Background Planning KAPA to KSLC The pilot just completed Adam FITS Training Pilot is a “Flatlander”, overweight and a smoker 30 Day History shows the PFD has failed three time due to a popped CB Database expires at midnight
Flight Planning KAPA to KSLC KAPA Weather - Clear skies, winds 270/15 Knots, temp 85 degrees KSLC TAF – 041800 041818 1815G25 P6SM BKN050 Cold frontal passage forecast late in the evening at KSLC Winds Aloft Forecast – FL180 270/20
Facilitators Notes Plan Weather at KAPA is clear with cirrus visible over the ridgelines and winds of 20 knots out of the west IFR MSA is approx 16,800 Will penetrate a cold front enroute Plane 30 Day History shows the PFD has failed three time due to a popped CB Pilot “Flatlander”, Overweight, Smoker, Hypoxia symptoms Survival gear? Passengers Altitude acclimatization Brief on high terrain/forced landing, turbulence? Programming Proper flight planning and waypoint selection Backup charts
Facilitators Notes The “5P” Check The Plan? Direct or airways Non Stop or one stop 1 Hour reserve, are we legal? Are we concerned about crossing the mountains? The Plane Maintenance status The Pilot How early did I get up? How tired am I? (IMSAFE) Recency/Currency The Passengers Pilot/Non Pilot Urgency of trip The Programming Whats going out of date, charts or database What do we need to fly (new charts/bad database) (how)
Pre-Takeoff You brief your passengers what to expect during the departure from KAPA – Your front seat passenger appears nervous. Red: Planned Flight Leg Green: Flown Flight Leg
Pre-Takeoff ATC Clears N123SRM to KSLC via ROCKIES4 departure, Meeker transition, SPANE4 arrival. Climb to 10,000 expect FL180 after departing class B airspace N123SRM
Facilitators Notes Plan How do you brief the SID? Proper Ridgeline crossing Max wind limit Is 10,000 high enough crossing the edge of Class B. Plane Lean in the climb Pilot Passengers Medical patient on O2 Programming MFD set identify high terrain Mountain pass navpoints waypoints set in
After Takeoff Denver approach reports no transponder ident, asks intentions? What are your intentions?
Facilitators Notes Plan Return and fix transponder? Return and drive? Press on and fix at Salt Lake City? Delay vs cold front? Plane Related to the PFD Failure? Integration with the MFD/PFD/GPS? FIXES ITSELF AFTER RECYCLE IF NO LANDING OCCURS Pilot Passengers Clear while pilot troubleshoots Programming NRST/Direct To
Approaching the Front Range Cleared to FL180 Ground Speed is 5 knots slower than planned Autopilot seems to have difficulty maintaining course in GPS mode Light Cirrus to the North
Facilitators Notes Plan 25 K headwind (what is your limit) 1,000 feet per 10 K of wind for mountain crossing Emergency landing plan Ask Center/FSS for PIREPs for turbulence Plane Maneuvering speed Autopilot use Pilot Passengers Programming Cross check nav points with backup chart
Both PFD and transponder fail Denver Center calls on Emergency frequency, tells you RADAR contact lost, asks you to call on previous frequency Light chop encountered Pilot has a headache Ground Speed is 170 Knots Mid Point of the Trip
Facilitators Notes Plan Press on or turn back Equal Time point? Alternates? Maintenance facility? Backup plan for the kids Fuel situation? Plane What is common to both – MFD & PFD Electrical failure/short? Comm/Nav #1 is gone with PFD failure Pilot Not at peak performance Passengers Mild hypoxia? Medical Needs Programming Backup chart Keeping up with all points on the flight plan? NRST? Direct To?
Over THISL KSLC ATIS, temp 75 degrees, wind 160/15G 20, mountains are obscured, visibility 7 SM, simultaneous approaches in progress, expect vectors to Rwy 16L or Rwy 17 Airmet for mod turb over the rockies from FSS SLC Approach asks you to report over FFU, advises expect vectors to ILS RWY 17
Facilitators Notes Plan Winds at altitude Wind shear/turbulence during descent? Backup plan for higher than forecast winds Ask about clearance to climb for SPANE Plane Survival gear for four? Fuel situation? Pilot Headache? Concentration? Passengers Brief on arrival in to KSLC Programming Mfd IS IN Reversion Mode – no Terrain data
Over SPANE SLC Approach clears you to descend, tells you to cross FFU at 12,000’ and expect 10,000’ after FFU and gives you a frequency change Autopilot will not hold desired descent rate or track During descent through the clouds, the engine suddenly loses power. Indications are: very low manifold pressure, CHT and TIT dropping rapidly! Fuel remaining: 15 Gallons All passengers complain of inner ear pain Child begins to cry
Engine Quits What are you going to do? Find the nearest suitable field?
Facilitators Notes Plan Approach – brief Still no PFD – Reversionary Mode on MFD Declare emergency, ask for vectors for visual approach to WHERE? Provo is the nearest airport Plane Glide Speed Fuel (pump, mixture, and tank) No Annunciator lights –Emergency Procedure? Definitely wont restart until below 10,000’ Pilot Maintain aircraft control! Locate Nearest Airport – Provo, Utah Passengers Mayday call Programming Paper Charts Direct to NRST airport Terrain clearance?
IFR Mountain Flying Recommendations: DO: File your flight plan early. Get a complete weather briefing. Check for arrival delay information. Avoid Friday afternoon through Sunday (November to April) if possible. Anticipate delays; plan an alternate. Before starting engines, coordinate with the tower/FSS (as appropriate) for departure delay info. DON'T: Be a "scud" runner. Expect to "JUST GO" to a mountain airport. Expect to get there if you are late. Cancel your IFR and try to sneak in VFR in marginal weather. Depart VFR and expect an IFR clearance from Denver Center without prior approval.
VFR Mountain Flying Recommendations: DO: File a flight plan which includes an exact route of flight. Get a complete weather briefing. Avoid Friday afternoon through Sunday (November to April) if possible. Anticipate marginal weather. DON'T: Be a "scud" runner. Plan to pick up an IFR clearance in the air. Depart in marginal VFR weather. The mountains and weather in Colorado can be very hazardous to your health. Expect VFR flight following from Denver Center due to sector workload. End up a statistic.