Presentation on theme: "Associate Professor , Department of Defence & Strategic Studies"— Presentation transcript:
1Associate Professor , Department of Defence & Strategic Studies ‘RELEVANCE OF DR. BABASAHEB AMBEDKAR THOUGHTS FOR NATIONAL SECURITY MANAGEMENT’By-Dr. Vijay S. KhareAssociate Professor , Department of Defence & Strategic StudiesDirector, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Studies Centre, University of Pune, Pune (India)
3HypothesesWhether India is weakening in the process of globalization or India is becoming global power.Whether Role of state are weakening for social devolvement in the age globalizationWhether Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Thoughts are related to present National Security problems to India.
4Conceptual frameworkThe paradigm of national security emerged in a specific historical setting with the emergence of the nation-state in the 17th CenturyThere is not only one concept of security, national security, international security, and global security refer to different sets of issues and have their origins in different historical and philosophical context.
5The cold war is over and world seems to be dominated by single power, the United States. The existing global power status quo may remain for some tine in the foreseeable futureThough some of the major powers , China, Russia, India, France would prefer a multi-polar balance in the international security environment and India too share this view
6This radically changed circumstance call for a review of our definition of national security Earlier in cold war mindset security was defined in terms of our external attack or border problemIn the post-cold war paradigm of threat –agenda is now perceived to increasingly encompasses non-military aspects such as social security, economic security, environment security, global climate change and human rights
7Generally the national security discourse is focused on limited terms i.e. external security, or border managementApart from this view today India facing the result of issues of cross-border terrorism, poverty, overpopulation, atrocities on Dalits and marginal section of society, mismanagement of natural resources which were traditionally kept out of national security discourse
8Keeping this view in mind I would conceptualize security issues and link with Babasaheb Ambedkar thoughts related to India’s national securityTo make India strong Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar worked very hard before independence and after independence to provide prudent policies for defense and foreign policy, nation building, national integration and Security,
94. Policy for the Defence & Foreign : Dr. B.A. inherited the military courage both from his maternal and his paternal source Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar not only Dalit leader, or social worker or economist, he was really strategic thinkerHe suggested second Capital at Hyderabad
10Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar also given following table for proving relevance and strategic aspects from given table:PLACEFROM DELHIFROM HYDRABADTo Bombay798 miles440 milesTo Calcutta868 milesTo Madras1198 miles330 milesTo Patiala124 miles990 milesTo Chandigarh180 miles1045 milesTo Lucknow275 miles770 miles(Source- Govt. of Maharashtra 1979 vol. I P-171)
11Compulsory Military Education to Youth Awareness of Defence and Security MattersForeign policy:India has lack of Strategic CultureDr. Ambedkar argued that the foreign policy of India has not solved our problemIndian Foreign policy based on ADHOCISMArgument given against Hindi-Chini-Bhai -Bhai
125. Thoughts on PakistanHe stated in his book “Pakistan or partition of IndiaAccording to him , what Muslim were asking for creation of administrative areas which were ethnically more homogeneousAccording to B.A. nationalism in relation to nation should be based fundamentally on a strong feeling of social unity , and nationalism in relation to internationalism should be founded on human brotherhood.
136. Thoughts on Kashmir:According to Dr. B.A. he gave thought on Kashmir issue which have ideological and historical base he says that“ Give the Hindu and Buddhist part to India, we are really not concerned Muslim part of Kashmir, It is a matter between Muslims of Kashmir and Pakistan.They may decide the issue as they like or if you like divide Kashmir into three parts.The Cease fire ZonesThe Valley and Jammu-Ladakh region3. and have plebiscite only in the valley
147. Policy for the Nation Building The nation building has been a complex phenomenon it covers overall development of nation-state and it is continuous process.Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar involved in policies making once as a law minister in the Central Cabinet of independent India during and earlier as a member of Viceroy’s Executive Council in charge of labour Irrigation, and power Portfolio during ( )Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar was an eminent economistHe has expressed his thoughts on nationalization of industries, state socialism, social equality and agriculture as an industry.Women Development policyThe Hindu Code BillThe Hindu marriage Act -1955The succession Act 1956The adoption and maintenance Act 1956The Hindu minority and Guardian Act 1956
158. Policy for National Integration & Security Single Citizenship and Single Judicial SystemSingle administrative systemDivision and Size of StateBabasaheb was against North-South divideHe predicted that the big North Indian States would dominate politics of IndiaOne language one state instead of one State one languageTwo Cr. Population of each state