Presentation on theme: "Recent Advances of Urban Water Management in China ---- Urban Stormwater Management and Local Pluvial Flood Prevention Integrated Urban Water Management."— Presentation transcript:
1Recent Advances of Urban Water Management in China ---- Urban Stormwater Management and Local Pluvial Flood PreventionIntegrated Urban Water ManagementChina Academy of Urban Planning & DesignDHI and Grundfos, Denmark2014/12/04 Beijing
2Outline 1. Background of urban storm water management in China 2. Recent advances in urban storm water management in China3. Some preliminary thoughts about integrated of urban water management in China4. Progress and plan
4River flood have been basically brought under control 1. Background flooding eventsRiver flood have been basically brought under controlAfter the 1998 Yangtze river floods, such a serious flood disaster are rarely appeared.Urban local pluvial flood are becoming more and more serious, especially in big cities
72012-07-21 Beijing 1. Background 1.1 flooding events Average precipitation was 170mm with the maximum of 460mm in Beijing on 21 July 2012.79 people were killed in that event and the total direct damage was estimated to be 10 billion RMB.
91. Background 1.1 flooding events 24 May Fangchenggang27 May Shenzhen28 May Xi’an16 May Xiamen
101. Background 1.2 Rapid urbanization China is currently under the process of rapid urbanization. Now more than half of the total population live in the urban.More than 13 million people become living in the urban, resulting in the urban built-up area expand 1300km2 annually.Urbanization rate in China since 1990Urbanization rateGrowth rateLand use in Beijing in 1985 and 200719852007
111. Background 1.2 Rapid urbanization Water bodies are buried, reclaimed to farmland or blocked during the process of urbanization.
121. Background 1.2 Rapid urbanization The area losses of water body in Wuhan reaches 39% from 1991 to 2000上世纪50年代城区湖泊127个，目前仅存38个，上世纪80年代湖泊874平方千米，现状645平方千米38 lakes in Wuhan now compared to 127 lakes in 1950s, 645km2 lakes now compared to 874km2 three decades ago武湖沉湖南湖 东湖 沙湖 水果湖Water body lossesWater body in 2010汤逊湖黄家湖Changes of water body in Wuhan（ ）
13Design standard for urban storm water system 1. Background Insufficient input and low design standardInsufficient input for the drainage infrastructure.Low design standard for the drainage system.Insufficient investment for O&M.Design standard for urban storm water systemReleased timeReturn period of urban drainage system
141. Background 1.4 High attention paid by gov. 1.Report on the Central Government Work 2013 :“The investment of the central budget are mainly invested in affordable housing projects, agriculture, water conservancy, urban pipe network and other infrastructure, social programs and other livelihood projects, energy conservation and ecological environment”. And the construction of urban pipe network are involved in the investment from the central government for the first time in history, which may stimulate the development soon.2.Enhancements of the Construction of urban municipal infrastructure from the State Council of the People's Republic of China stated:To accelerate the construction of urban infrastructure and renovation, market access will be further expanded, and social capital are encouraged to participate in.
162. Recent advances of storm water management 2.1 Some important official documents issuedHigh attention paid by central government and local governmentNotification on the Enhancements of the Construction of Urban Drainage and Urban Flooding-protective Facilities from General Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China No.〔2013〕23Advice on the Enhancements of the Construction of urban municipal infrastructure from the State Council of the People's Republic of ChinaRegulation on Urban Drainage and Sewage Treatment from the State Council of the People's Republic of ChinaAdvice on the Enhancements of the Construction of Urban underground pipelines from General Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China No. 〔2014〕27
172. Recent advances of storm water management 2.1 Some important official documents issuedMinistry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People's Republic of China(MOHURD) (2013) No. 88Technical Guideline for census data collection and management of the Comprehensive Urban Storm Water Drainage and Localized Pluvial Flooding Mitigation Facilities.MOHURD (2013) No. 98Technical Guideline for the Formulation of Comprehensive Urban Storm Water Drainage and Localized Pluvial Flooding Mitigation Planning.MOHURD (2014) No. 66Revising of storm intensity formula.MOHURD (2014) No. 275Technical Guideline for the construction of “Sponge City”——Construction of storm water system with the concept of low impact development.
182. Recent advances of storm water management 2.2 A lot of research projects are and will be supportedMoney from Asian Development Bank, Ministry of Science and Technology, State Key Research Project for Water and National Natural Science Foundation committee.
192. Recent advances of storm water management 2.3 Standard, code and technical guidelines are under revised or newly released. Design standard improved
202. Recent advances of storm water management 2.3 Standard, code and technical guidelines are under revised or newly released. Design standard improved序号标准名称nameRevised/new1.室外排水设计规范GB （2011年版）National code for drainage designrevised2.城市居住区规划设计规范GB （2002年版）National code for residential area planning and design3.城市排水防涝设施普查数据采集技术标准Technical standard for drainage facilities survey and data collectionnew4.城市内涝防治规划规范National code for urban pluvial flood mitigation planning5.城镇暴雨与内涝防治技术标准Technical standard for urban storm water management and pluvial flood mitigation6.城市排水工程规划规范GBNational code for urban drainage engineering planning7.城市用地竖向规划规范CJJ83-99National code for urban vertical planning8.城市绿地设计规范GBNational code for green space design
212. Recent advances of storm water management 2.3 Standard, code and technical guidelines are under revised or newly released. Design standard improvedThe national standard and guideline of storm water runoff control are being studied.Local standards ：Code for Design of Storm water Management and Rainwater Harvesting Engineering in BeijingMethod for implementing management guideline of Comprehensive low impact development and storm water utilization planningGuide for Low Impact Development storm water system technology
222. Recent advances of storm water management 2.3 Standard, code and technical guidelines are under revised or newly released. Design standard improvedReleased timeThe return period of urban drainage system1975年0.33-21987年0.5-31997年0.5-3，重要地区(important areas)2-5年2006年0.5-3，重要地区(important areas)3-52011年1-3年，重要地区(important areas)3-5The 2014 version of design return period of storm drainage pipesCentral areaSuburban areaImportant central areaUnderground, underpass, low-lying squareMegacities3～52～35～1030～50Big cities2～520～30Small and medium cities10～20
232. Recent advances of storm water management 2.4 Dual drainage system concept widely acceptedminor system：Minor system is designed to collect and discharge the common urban rainfall water (design storm return period is usually 2 to 10 years), which is also called conventional drainage system.major system：Major system is designed to discharge runoff water generated by heavy rain water (usually year return),and dominated by drainage channel. Through the drainage channel and deep drainage tunnel, the runoff water exceeding the capacity of minor system is discharged out of the city.
242. Recent advances of storm water management 2.5 New version of planning are under formulated and some practices already on the wayThe new version of storm water drainage and local pluvial flood mitigation plan is currently under formulated in more than 600 cities and and more than counties according to the technical guidelines issued by the MOHURD, which was finished mainly by CAUPD.About 14 planning projects of this type are currently carried out by CAUPD and DHI China participated in it extensively.All these planning are supposed to be finished in this year and then submitted to MOHURD. CAUPD was commissioned to review and assess all the planning files mainly from the technic perspectives.
252. Recent advances of storm water management 2.5 New version of planning are under formulated and some practices already on the waySome cities including Shanghai, Guangzhou and Wuhan now consider deep tunnel as a possible solution to address the Combined System Overflows (CSOs) and local pluvial flood simultaneously.Guangzhou is already on the way of construction and others are under feasibility study.Deep tunnel planning in Guangzhou
262. Recent advances of storm water management 2.5 New version of planning are under formulated and some practices already on the wayMany construction practices are carried out in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Changde and many other cities.The approved comprehensive plan is implemented and many drainage facilities including some large scale retention/detention tank are built.
272. Recent advances of storm water management 2.6 Hydraulic modeling and risk mapping are now extensively accepted and usedRational method was widely used in China in the past for the storm water system calculation while EU and US recommend the hydraulic modeling especially for the large catchment (In EU, thethreshold is 200ha according to EN-752)
282. Recent advances of storm water management 2.6 Hydraulic modeling and risk mapping are now extensively accepted and usedIn the Technical Guideline for the Formulation of Comprehensive Urban Storm Water Drainage and Localized Pluvial Flooding Mitigation Planning, which was drafted by CAUPD, Hydraulic modeling was required for drainage network assessment, flood risk mapping as well as planning evaluation for catchment larger than 200ha, despite some strong opposition from many experts.The Guideline promote the booming of hydraulic modeling and pluvial flood risk mapping. Some official software including DHI and HR Wallingford benefit a lot from it from both the marketing and technic perspective.
292. Recent advances of storm water management Shijiazhuang projectModeling process
312. Recent advances of storm water management Risk mapping in Shijiazhuang Project12445355123
322. Recent advances of storm water management 2.7 Source control and LID concept widely accepted, much attention paid to non-structural measuresCentral park in ChongqingBeichuan County in Sichuan Province
33Grassed detention basin 2. Recent advances of storm water managementLID practices in Chinaopening curbcutting curbDetention pondGrassed swaleGrassed swaleStorm water wetlandGrassed detention basinunderground rain water storage tankpervious conveyance
343. Some preliminary thoughts about integrated urban water management in China
353. Some preliminary thoughts about integrated urban water management in China 3.1 Rationale for integrated urban water management from urban planning perspectiveLot of urban planning exits in China. For urban water supply sector, we have urban water resources plan, water supply engineering plan, reclaimed water plan or even some desalination plan and rainwater harvesting plan.These planning are mean to address the urban water supply in different perspectives but they are not one-goal-oriented, and poor coordination between different planning can be found. This issue need to be handled to make sure that all these plan may address the water supply coordinately.
363. Some preliminary thoughts about integrated urban water management in China 3.1 Rationale for integrated urban water management from urban planning perspectiveAnother case is the urban water environment, which is related to wastewater collection and treatment, first flush of rainwater, combined system overflows, network misconnection, sewer leakage and so on. But currently the wastewater drainage plan could not address the water environment pollution perfectly.Obviously it’s not realistic or even possible to change the urban water management framework, which is related directly to the different government sector’s power and interest. But to integrate the various water related planning to formulate one-goal-oriented planning may be one possible solution.
373. Some preliminary thoughts about integrated urban water management in China 3.2 Advices for integrated urban water management from urban planning perspectiveThe current various urban water related plan can be integrated into urban water supply plan, urban water environment pollution control plan, urban water safety plan and urban water spatial plan.Integrated urban water planUrban water supply planUrban water environment planUrban water safety planUrban water spatial plan
383. Some preliminary thoughts about integrated urban water management in China 3.2 Advices for integrated urban water management from urban planning perspectiveUrban water supply planUrban water supply plan should include urban water resources, water treatment, water distribution, reclaimed water supply and rainwater harvesting.Urban water environment pollution control plan should include the wastewater collection and treatment, sludge disposal, first flush pollution control, combined system overflow, misconnection of storm water system and sewer system, sewer leakage and et cl.Urban water environment pollution control plan
393. Some preliminary thoughts about integrated urban water management in China 3.2 Advices for integrated urban water management from urban planning perspectiveUrban water safety planUrban water safety plan should include urban fluvial flooding, tidal flooding, storm surge, urban local pluvial flooding, storm water drainage, underground water ponding and wastewater flooding.Urban water spatial plan should include the water landscape plan, waterfront area conservation and develop plan.Urban water spatial plan
41Seminar in World Water Week 4th September 2014 in Stockholm 4. Progress and plan4.1 ProgressInception workshop of China Europe Water Platform Co-lead 5th March 2014 in BeijingSeminar in World Water Week 4th September 2014 in StockholmInception workshop 13 October in ShanghaiNRW Theme day 14 October in ShanghaiAgreement on Urban flooding activities with Flood management Co-leadMeeting between partners on future activitiesMeeting between partners 2rd December 2014Seminar on pricing for water 3rd December 2014Participation in annual meeting 4th DecemberDraft work plan for 2015
42Urban water environment, protection and pollution control 4. Progress and plan4.2 PlanUrban water resources (water supply, water reuse, storm water harvesting, blue and green cities)Urban storm water management and flooding, sustainable urban drainage system (low impact development)Water in the urban landscape – living with the water and recreational use of waterUrban water environment, protection and pollution controlNon-revenue water and pressure management in urban water supply (saving water resources and energy for water supply)Construction of Sponge City(LID measures Planning, promotion of construction concept and technology)
43Participate in side event during World Water Forum, Korea 2015 4. Progress and plan4.2 PlanParticipate in side event during World Water Forum, Korea 2015Organise seminar during Annual meeting in Copenhagen, May Topic could be related to policy and management of urban waterInventory of European urban experiences to share: Examples from all over Europe: Hamburg, Berlin, Rotterdam, Paris, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm etc. Starting point for joint projects and identification of partners in China. Examples are key topics for IUWM (NRW, Storm water, water in landscape, eco-cities, integrated solutions)World Water Week in Stockholm, August, 2015Seminar in China, September 2015Seminar in November 2015 on urban flooding at International Water Week in Amsterdam.