Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Slips, Trips and Falls. 46% of the Slips, Trips and Falls claims between 2003 and 2007 had no Lost Time Injury Of the remaining 54% of claims, the average.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Slips, Trips and Falls. 46% of the Slips, Trips and Falls claims between 2003 and 2007 had no Lost Time Injury Of the remaining 54% of claims, the average."— Presentation transcript:

1 Slips, Trips and Falls

2

3 46% of the Slips, Trips and Falls claims between 2003 and 2007 had no Lost Time Injury Of the remaining 54% of claims, the average number of days lost per claim was 9.4 days (for claims open for a year or less) Severity of Injury Lost Time Injury Medical Treatment Only Total Slips,Trips and Falls

4 Note: older staff slightly over represented

5

6 Note: school sites have higher rates than offices

7 Note: teachers most common claimants

8 Slipped in puddle Walking and stepped awkwardly Walking down the stairs, loss of concentration Slipped over on loose sandpit sand on concrete Climbing a set of stairs in the school, slipped and fell Slippery floor caused by water from shoes of persons previously entering gym Walking around on uneven ground Modelling the long jump, landed awkwardly Tripped over student bag and twisted awkwardly Walking outside maths area, lost footing, turned ankle Walking towards car park, rolled ankle on uneven ground Tripped over slightly raised paving brick Walking to car, slipped on wet leaves Tripped on a rock and fell Walking towards a student, tripped on carpet Playing the piano, slipped off piano stool and landed on wrist Supervising students on the oval, walked over a hole in the oval Going to my car at end of school day, slipped on loose gravel around car Slips, Trips and Falls “ what happened…… ”

9

10 What you can do to raise awareness of Slips, Trips and Falls at your worksite…. Use Visual Safety Reminders Visit the DECS Health & Safety Services Website: Download Poster Prevention of Falls from Height Procedure Slips Trips and Fall PowerPoint Show Download the LOOKout poster and display itDownload the LOOKout poster Download an area checklist Download Action Plan for Slips, Trips & Falls Put up Posters!Posters Involve your Health & Safety Committee Use Business Manager to keep track of tasksBusiness Manager

11 Poster Links LOOKout Poster (DECS)LOOKout Poster Posters can be sourced from a number of suppliers. Use a search engine and search for key words such as: –Workplace safety –Safety posters –OHS&W posters

12 Marking trip hazards Blue reflectors are very effective pavement edge markers Stair strips assist in edge and depth perception Tree protection - No trip hazard

13 Safe Procedures Use step aids Use ladders appropriately Clean up trip hazards outside See what is ahead Use platform ladders where possible

14 Good Housekeeping Keep walkways free of trip hazards Keep floor space clear of trip hazards

15 Other things that can help you stay on your feet… Ensure that areas are well lit - light fittings are not dirty and in poor condition e.g. tubes missing Wear appropriate footwear for the task Carrying loads appropriately can assist in fall prevention. It is an appropriate manual handling technique Wear glasses if required and ensure your vision is checked so you can see clearly Ensure any medications do not have bad side effects – eg those that affect your balance

16 Complete an Action Plan…….. Download Sample Action Plan

17 I was walking from our classroom to the library with my class, when I slipped on a banana peel left on the ground...please watch your step, and fix or report hazards


Download ppt "Slips, Trips and Falls. 46% of the Slips, Trips and Falls claims between 2003 and 2007 had no Lost Time Injury Of the remaining 54% of claims, the average."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google