The breaking down of rocks and other materials at Earth’s surface is called ____________. The movement of rock pieces and other materials on Earth’s surface is called ____________ weathering erosion
In ice wedging, water seeps into a crack in a rock. The water freezes. Ice needs more space than water, so the ice pushes the crack apart. The ice melts. Water seeps into the deeper crack. This process keeps repeating until the rock breaks apart.
* Plant roots can grow into cracks and break apart rocks.
* Animals that dig in the ground can also break apart rocks.
* Rock particles can be carried by water, ice, wind, or gravity. The particles scrape rock like sandpaper scrapes wood. This scraping is called abrasion (uh BRAY shun).
* true or false? All rocks weather at the same rate. false
* Circle the letter of each sentence that is true about weathering and climate. a. Weathering is faster in a wet climate. b. Mechanical weathering is faster in a warm climate. c. Chemical weathering is faster in a cool climate.