Presentation on theme: "Tuck Everlasting Chapter 1"— Presentation transcript:
1Tuck EverlastingChapter 1Vocabulary: tranquil, meager, melancholy, bovine, tolerantlyFocus Questions:Who was responsible for the woods’ isolation?Why is the Foster’s home called the “Touch-me-not” cottage?
2Tuck EverlastingChapter 3-4Vocabulary: intent, marionette, remnants, reluctantly, satisfactionFocus Questions:Who does Winnie tell her troubles to? What does she tell it?
3Tuck EverlastingChapter 5Vocabulary: galling, consolingly, alarming, self-assurance, irrelevantFocus Questions:Describe the change in the light, flowers, and creatures Winnie notices as she goes into the wood.
4Vocabulary: scornful, parson, receded Tuck EverlastingChapter 7Vocabulary: scornful, parson, recededFocus Questions:Describe the first time the Tucks discovered that there was something wrong?What happened to Miles’ wife and children?
5Vocabulary: embankment, melancholy, vanity, vigorous, colander Tuck EverlastingChapter 9Vocabulary: embankment, melancholy, vanity, vigorous, colanderFocus Questions:Reread the final paragraph on p What does the author mean by “….it was as if they had slipped in under a giant colander.”
61) Describe the Tuck’s home. Tuck EverlastingChapter 10vocabulary: submission, fortress, indomitable, wisps, luxurious, decisivelyFocus questions:1) Describe the Tuck’s home.2) Mae said that it’s just about time for the Tucks to be moving on. Why?
72) Tuck said that his family is “stuck”. What does he mean? Tuck EverlastingChapter 12Vocabulary: dimensions, brambles, anguishFocus questions:1) Tuck took Winnie to the pond to explain the importance of the secret. Why?2) Tuck said that his family is “stuck”. What does he mean?
82) How did Winnie feel as she lay on the couch trying to sleep? Tuck EverlastingChapter 14Vocabulary: lingered, illiterates, constableFocus questions:1) What did Tuck mean when he said, “….since we had a natural, growing child…?”2) How did Winnie feel as she lay on the couch trying to sleep?
9Tuck EverlastingChapter 14Cause and EffectWinnie Couldn’t sleep.
10Tuck Everlasting Chapter 16 Focus questions: Vocabulary: roust, companionable, peril, searingFocus questions:1) Describe the constable’s reaction when the man in the yellow suit said the Fosters had sold him the wood.2) Describe the attitude of the man in the yellow suit? …the constable?
111) Why didn’t Winnie and Miles bring home any fish? Tuck EverlastingChapter 18Vocabulary: surveyed, alien, immense, petulanceFocus questions:1) Why didn’t Winnie and Miles bring home any fish?2) Why is the man in the yellow suit at the door?
121) Why did Mae hit the man in the yellow suit? Tuck EverlastingChapter 20-21Vocabulary: emerging, mingled, insistent, crouchedFocus questions:1) Why did Mae hit the man in the yellow suit?2) Tuck was looking at the body on the ground. He looked envious, like a starving man looking through a window at a banquet. Why?
131) Find 2 examples of similes in the chapter. Tuck EverlastingChapter 22-23Vocabulary: gingerly, parched, remorseless, prostrateFocus questions:1) Find 2 examples of similes in the chapter.2) What did Jesse give Winnie?
141) What was the last thing Jesse said to Winnie? What was his message? Tuck EverlastingChapter 24-25Vocabulary: accusations, detached, ebbed, protruding, exultantFocus questions:1) What was the last thing Jesse said to Winnie? What was his message?2)Sensory images: Reread p What does Winnie hear, see, smell?
151) How had Treegap changed? Tuck EverlastingEpilogueVocabulary: verandah, rambling, inscription, hastilyFocus questions:1) How had Treegap changed?2)Why do you think the Tucks came back to Treegap?