Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Water … Residential Conservation and Recycling Bill Bardin Air and Water Pollution Prevention and Control Engineering RPI – Fall 2013 Professor Gutierrez-Miravete.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Water … Residential Conservation and Recycling Bill Bardin Air and Water Pollution Prevention and Control Engineering RPI – Fall 2013 Professor Gutierrez-Miravete."— Presentation transcript:

1 Water … Residential Conservation and Recycling Bill Bardin Air and Water Pollution Prevention and Control Engineering RPI – Fall 2013 Professor Gutierrez-Miravete

2 The average American family uses over 300 gallons of water per day. Toilets – 27% Washing Clothes – 22% Showers – 17% One pound of beef requires almost 1,300 gallons of water. A bushel of corn yields 2.5 gallons of ethanol but requires 2,500 gallons of water. 40% of US corn production goes to ethanol US production of corn: x10 9 Bushels Topsoil totaling over 4.8x10 9 tons was blown away during the dust bowl years due to lack of rain and poor land management. In 2009, Colorado passed laws essentially outlawing rainwater harvesting. 75% of electricity in Iceland comes from hydroelectric sources. They estimate they will deplete their water supplies in 100 years. The other 25% comes from geothermal sources. Water Facts

3 Harvesting Rainwater One inch of rain on 2,000 ft 2 of roof, yields 1,250 gallons of water. According to the U.S. EPA, 50 to 70 % of total household water is used for landscape irrigation and other outdoor activities(US EPA, 2009) Rain water is considered soft water, and therefore significantly lowers the amount of detergents and soaps needed for cleaning. From Simple to complex. Old Becomes new, again.

4 Types of Residential Waste Water White water – Potable water Grey water – Shower, Bath, Laundry, Lavatory Basin Dark water – Kitchen waste, food, strong detergents Black water – Toilets, Laundry (if washing diapers, etc.) All of the above sources can be recycled to one degree or another. Many municipalities ban the recycling of Dark and Black water. Typical use of Grey water Toilets Laundry Irrigation Grey Water Recycling

5 Typically more complex than rain water recycling. Water receives chlorine or iodine treatment prior to reuse. Grey water can be used for irrigation with minimal treatment. Requires more infrastructure than rainwater recycling. Both require lifestyle changes. Grey Water Systems

6 Questions? Comments? Feedback?


Download ppt "Water … Residential Conservation and Recycling Bill Bardin Air and Water Pollution Prevention and Control Engineering RPI – Fall 2013 Professor Gutierrez-Miravete."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google