Presentation on theme: "Workshop on Capacity Development for the Clean Development Mechanism 19-21 October 2005 AIT, Thailand CDM Capacity Building and Training and Awareness."— Presentation transcript:
Workshop on Capacity Development for the Clean Development Mechanism October 2005 AIT, Thailand CDM Capacity Building and Training and Awareness Raising in Cambodia in Cambodia Presented by Chea Chan Thou Ministry of Environment, Cambodia
Outline of presentation 1. Strengths of CD4CDM institutions for capacity building activities 2. Activities carried out 3. Capacity enhancement 4. Publications 5. Assistance provide to DNA and project developers 6. Lesson learnt 7. Impacts of CD4CDM project on the Capacity Enhancement and Awareness Raising on CDM
1. Strengths of CD4CDM institutions for capacity building activities Delegating responsibility to the national team allows national appropriate activities to be carried out CD4CDM project members are from govt. ministries (MoE, MIME, MAFF, MPWT) Recognition and support from policy makers MoE was appointed as Interim DNA by Prime Minister declaration CCCO/MoE is a CDM secretariat for Cambodia Local team has knowledge about country-specific context, needs and networks AIT has technical expertise Riso has fund and a well-structured project
2. Activities Carried Out Organized 3.national workshops Conducted 10 trainings and seminars for CDM stakeholders A national policy dialogue on CDM forest definition for Cambodia will be conducted on 24 Oct Co-organised workshops/trainings with IGES, NEDO Organised a numbers of face-to-face meeting and round table discussions Target participants: policy makers, govt. agencies, financial institutions, project developers, NGOs, private sectors, academe.
2. Activities Carried Out Field visits to identify CDM projects Participated in 13 CDM workshops/trainings outside the country Participated in 22 workshops/conferences related to climate change outside the country.
2. Activities Carried Out Developed CDM awareness raising materials: CDM brochures, booklets and CDs, CDM website link to climate change Distributed CDs of CDM information Participation in Carbon Expo 2005 in Germany.
2. Activities Carried Out (cont.)
3. Capacity Enhancement Project members regularly search available up- to-date information from different sources and countries (internet, news etc.) Facilitated CDM stakeholders to attend CDM/ climate change related workshop in country and abroad Conducted short time technical trainings Exchange experience with other CDM countries etc.
4. Publication of CDM Documents Workshop proceedings in two languages (English & Khmer) CDM booklet in Khmer language CDM Brochure CDM information CD Project pipeline information sheets Through CCCO website:
5. Assistance Provide to DNA, Project Developers Face-to-face meetings and roundtable discussions Small group and short-term trainings Workshops Informal meetings Field visits of project sites Provision of CDM advice and information.
6. Lesson Learnt CDM is a very new concept for everyone. Unless they are engaged in issues closely related to CDM, there is little interest in putting effort into learning, especially to read detailed technical documents. Development of case studies to demonstrate benefits of CDM to project developers and government officials is also the approach made them to understand CDM processes and interested in development of CDM project.
6. Lesson Learnt (cont.) Face to face meetings and small trainings are the best approach, but more time consuming Translation of CDM related documents into local language is important and easy to understand for local people, but time consuming and difficult to explain technical terminologies.
7. Impacts of CD4CDM project on the Capacity Enhancement and Awareness Raising on CDM Enhanced capacity and knowledge on CDM to policy and decision makers, DNA and inter-ministerial working groups Increased cooperation of inter-agencies and project developers, private sector, NGOs.