Presentation on theme: "I AM series “I am the way, the truth and the life” John 14:1-14 facilitator: Ed van Ouwerkerk."— Presentation transcript:
I AM series “I am the way, the truth and the life” John 14:1-14 facilitator: Ed van Ouwerkerk
First we studied the passage where Jesus claims: “I am the...... of... “ life John 6:25-59 Secondly we studied the passage where Jesus claims: “I am the.... of the..... “ world John 8:12-30 bread light We find this passage in............ Thirdly we studied the passage where Jesus claims: “I am the............... John 10:1-18 Good Shepherd We find this passage in............. Fourthly we studied the passage where Jesus claims: “I am the............ and the.... John 11:17-45 resurrection life
You may remember (from the Jesus-movie) the death of Jesus’ friend Lazarus in Bethany and that Jesus raised him from the dead? (John 11). It was at the end of Jesus’ 3-year public ministry. Time frame and context on the conversation of Jesus with two of His disciples Shortly thereafter the chief priests and the religious leaders became afraid that Jesus would get many followers so that they would loose their positions. They plotted a plan to kill Jesus. Do you remember the story from the Old Testament in which the Jews were enslaved in Egypt and were instructed to slaughter a lam and put the blood on the door posts as a protection against the angel of death? That was called ………… A week before the annual celebration of Passover (six days before Jesus’ crucifixion) a dinner was held for Jesus in Bethany. And a day later (5 days before Jesus’ crucifixion) Jesus was welcomed on his way to nearby Jerusalem as a king, because Jesus had raised Lazarus from the dead (John 12). Passover
When many people were traveling in that week to Jerusalem for the Passover Feast, some Greek asked Jesus’ Galilean followers to meet with Jesus and ask Him questions. Then Jesus predicts His own death and reveals again His salvation plan. However, discussions between groups pro and contra Jesus continued (John 12). Then on Thursday evening, one day before His crucifixion, Jesus has a supper with all His disciples. John 13 describes Jesus’ teaching, including the scene that Jesus washes the feet of His disciples as an example, He shares the bread, He predicts that one of the twelve disciples would betray Him and that Peter would deny Him. During that supper Jesus comforts His disciples.
Definition of Terms Hearts: (verse 1) A term used in this context to refer not to physical organs, but to people's innermost selves—their personalities, emotional and intellectual makeup, etc. My Father's house: (verse 2) The place in heaven that God is preparing as a dwelling place for all Christians when they are resurrected at the last day (Revelation 21:1-4, 21-27).
John 14:1-14 1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” 8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 約 翰 福 音 14:1-14 1 你 们 心 里 不 要 忧 愁 ； 你 们 信 神 ， 也 当 信 我 。 2 在 我 父 的 家 里 有 许 多 住 处 ； 若 是 没 有 ， 我 就 早 已 告 诉 你 们 了 。 我 去 原 是 为 你 们 预 备 地 方 去 。 3 我 若 去 为 你 们 预 备 了 地 方 ， 就 必 再 来 接 你 们 到 我 那 里 去 ， 我 在 那 里 ， 叫 你 们 也 在 那 里 。 4 我 往 那 里 去 ， 你 们 知 道 ； 那 条 路 ， 你 们 也 知 道 （ 有 古 卷 作 ： 我 往 那 里 去 ， 你 们 知 道 那 条 路 ）。 5 多 马 对 他 说 ： 主 阿 ， 我 们 不 知 道 你 往 那 里 去 ， 怎 麽 知 道 那 条 路 呢 ？ 6 耶 稣 说 我 就 是 道 路 、 真 理 、 生 命 ； 若 不 藉 着 我 ， 没 有 人 能 到 父 那 里 去 。 7 你 们 若 认 识 我 ， 也 就 认 识 我 的 父 。 从 今 以 後 ， 你 们 认 识 他 ， 并 且 已 经 看 见 他 。 8 腓 力 对 他 说 ： 求 主 将 父 显 给 我 们 看 ， 我 们 就 知 足 了 。
9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. 9 耶 稣 对 他 说 ： 腓 力 ， 我 与 你 们 同 在 这 样 长 久 ， 你 还 不 认 识 我 麽 ？ 人 看 见 了 我 ， 就 是 看 见 了 父 ； 你 怎 麽 说 将 父 显 给 我 们 看 呢 ？ 10 我 在 父 里 面 ， 父 在 我 里 面 ， 你 不 信 麽 ？ 我 对 你 们 所 说 的 话 ， 不 是 凭 着 自 己 说 的 ， 乃 是 住 在 我 里 面 的 父 做 他 自 己 的 事 。 11 你 们 当 信 我 ， 我 在 父 里 面 ， 父 在 我 里 面 ； 即 或 不 信 ， 也 当 因 我 所 做 的 事 信 我 。 12 我 实 实 在 在 的 告 诉 你 们 ， 我 所 做 的 事 ， 信 我 的 人 也 要 做 ， 并 且 要 做 比 这 更 大 的 事 ， 因 为 我 往 父 那 里 去 。 13 你 们 奉 我 的 名 无 论 求 甚 麽 ， 我 必 成 就 ， 叫 父 因 儿 子 得 荣 耀 。 14 你 们 若 奉 我 的 名 求 甚 麽 ， 我 必 成 就 。
1. Why might Jesus' disciples have been troubled? Observation Questions 2. What did Jesus say they should do to calm their disturbed hearts? Their leader, Jesus, was about to leave them. They had left everything to follow Him and could not understand why they could not go with Him. He also indicated they would deny and betray Him. 3. Which two followers of Jesus are mentioned in the passage? vs. 1: He said they should trust in God and in Him. 4. What did Thomas want to know? vss. 5, 8: Thomas and Philip. 5. What was Philip's request? vs. 5: He wanted to know where Jesus was going, because he wanted to join Him. vs. 8: He wanted to see God the Father.
6. How did Jesus' answer to Philip's question compare to the one He gave Thomas? 7. Who did Jesus say was the only way to God? vss. 6, 9-14: He was more insistent and detailed with Philip about the unity He had with His Father. 8. In what ways did Jesus identify Himself with the Father? vs. 6: Himself. vs. 10: "I am in the Father"; "The words I say to you are not just my own"; "It is the Father, living in me, who is doing His work." 9. Why did Jesus expect Philip and Thomas to believe in Him? vs. 11: Because of the evidence of His miracles and His teaching. 10. Which of Jesus' promises to His disciples were to be fulfilled after He left? vs 2: He would prepare a place for them in heaven; vs, 3: He would come back and take them to be with Him in heaven (the second coming); vs. 12: He would give power to those who have faith in Him; vss. 13-14: He would answer their prayers.
11. According to this passage, what is faith? 12. What did Jesus say He would do if the disciples asked Him for anything in His name? Why would He do this? vs. 1: Trust; vs. 7: Intimate knowledge; vs. 10: Belief; vs. 11: Recognition that what Jesus says is true; vs. 12: Personal commitment. vs. 13: He promised to answer their requests so that He would bring glory to God the Father. Analysis and Discussion Questions 1. How does knowing God through Christ help us find direction, truth, and life? Because God is the Creator and Sustainer of life, He can guide our lives and give us purpose for living—to serve Him, honor Him, and enjoy a relationship with Him. He reveals truth and insight about life to those who believe in Him. He also gives them a full life here on earth and eternal life with Him in heaven.
3. What did Jesus mean when He said, "I am... the truth"? How would the meaning be different if Jesus had said, "I will tell you the truth"? How does His claim to be truth differ from the truth of wise teachers? 2. If you knew that you had eternal life with Jesus in heaven, how would that affect the way you live your present life? Explain your answer. That knowledge would give your daily life more purpose and direction. You would make decisions from an eternal rather than a temporal perspective through God's power working within you. He is the source of ultimate spiritual truth, which we learn by studying not only His words but also His life. If He had said, "I will tell you the truth," He would have been just another good teacher. But because He was God, Jesus had the power not only to teach truth but to demonstrate the validity of what He taught. Wise teachers cannot do that, and their teachings are subjective and cultural. Jesus' teachings are objective, eternal, and unchanging.
5. Read the following verses and write down the miracles Jesus performed. Next to each miracle write the power that it demonstrated. Matthew 8:23-27 4. Read John 1:3,10:10, and 11:25, 26 and then describe what these verses say about Jesus' ability to give life. Now, what did Jesus mean when He said, "I am... the life"? John 1:3: Jesus created physical life and gives spiritual life to people; John 10:10: Jesus came to give people a full life; John 11:25, 26: Anyone who believes in Him will have spiritual and eternal life. He is the Creator and Sustainer of not only physical life in all its aspects, but also of spiritual life—He is the source of all life. Mark 1:23-27 Calming the storm (power over nature) How did these miracles show that Jesus was one with the Father? Casting a demon out of a man (power over Satan and his forces) Luke 4:38-40 Healing the sick (power over disease) Luke 7:11-16 Raising the dead (power over death) Luke 18:35-43 Giving sight to a blind man (power over physical disabilities) John 1:47-49 Knowing about Nathaniel before He had met him (power of supernatural knowledge) John 2:1-11 Changing water to wine (power over physical substances) The powers that Jesus demonstrated by His miracles were powers that only God has, showing Jesus was one with the Father.
6. Why did Jesus direct people to Himself and not just to His teachings? 7. Why is it possible to know about the life of Christ and His teachings and not really "know" Him? Explain your answer. Jesus did not want just to teach people about life, truth, and direction. He wanted to actually give them life, truth, and direction by giving them Himself. He wanted people to trust and follow Him, not just His teachings. Knowing about a person is different from knowing a person. To actually know the person, you must have an ongoing personal relationship with him or her. Many people know about Jesus, but have never asked Him to enter their lives and have never become committed disciples of Jesus.
Summary Questions 1. What statements in this passage did Jesus make that reveal He is more than just a righteous man? 2. What are the results of faith in Jesus Christ according to this passage? vs. 1: "Trust in God; trust also in Me"; "I am going there to prepare a place for you "; vs. 2 "If you really knew Me, you would know My father as well"; vs. 3: "I will come back... " vs. 6: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me"; vs. 10: "lam in the Father and... the Father is in Me"; vs. 11: "Believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves"; vs. 13: "I will do whatever you ask in My name." vss. 1-4: An eternal home in heaven; vss. 6-11: Knowing God; vs. 12: The ability to do the works of God; vss. 13-14: Answered prayer.