Presentation on theme: "Marina Villaverde & Estefanía Ramajo.. It is located near Enniskerry, County Wicklow, Ireland. It’s important for its house and landscaped gardens."— Presentation transcript:
The original owner was La Poer. The castle's position was of strategic military importance. The house had at least 68 rooms. The entrance hall was 18 metres long and 12 metres wide. The main reception rooms were on the first floor.
It was extensively altered by Richard Cassels, starting in 1731 and finishing in 1741. Richard Cassels made the house a severe palladian facade bookended by two circular domed towers. In the 1830s was the venue for a number of conferences on unfulfilled Bible prophecies.
Mervyn Wingfield inherited the title and the Powerscourt estate. He embarked on an extensive renovation of the house and created the new gardens. Main attractions were the Tower Valley, Japanese gardens, winged horse statues, Triton Lake, pet cemetery, Dolphin Pond, walled gardens, Bamberg Gate and the Italian Garden. The garden development took 20 years to complete in 1880.
In 1961, was sold by Mervyn Patrick Wingfield, to the Slazenger family, who still owns it to this day. The house was destroyed by fire on 4 November 1974, and was renovated in 1996. Only two rooms are open to the public as they once appeared while Powerscourt had residents.
It is the highest waterfall in Ireland. Powerscourt Waterfall and its surrounding valley are also owned by the Powerscourt estate. In 1858 a deer park around the waterfall was established. The waterfall is seven kilometres from Enniskerry, and walkable.