Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

By: Breanna Parker & Jake Perkins. Sickle Cell History  In 1910 Sickle Cell Anemia was discovered by James B. Herrick.  James was running blood tests.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "By: Breanna Parker & Jake Perkins. Sickle Cell History  In 1910 Sickle Cell Anemia was discovered by James B. Herrick.  James was running blood tests."— Presentation transcript:

1 By: Breanna Parker & Jake Perkins

2 Sickle Cell History  In 1910 Sickle Cell Anemia was discovered by James B. Herrick.  James was running blood tests on a patient and he noticed unusual characteristics in the shape of the blood cells.  He noticed the blood cells were in the shape of a moon instead of a circle.  Sickle Cell Anemia is more commonly in people who have ancestors from sub-Saharan Africa. http://www.sciencedaily.com/rele ases/2010/11/101102130133.ht m

3 Sickle Cell Description  Sickle cell anemia is an inherited blood disorder. The red blood cells are in the shape of a moon instead of a circle.  It effects a persons immune system and they are unable to fight off infections as fast as the average person. http://www.medicinenet.com/si ckle_cell/article.htm

4 Symptoms  Fatigue  Paleness  Shortness of breath  Yellowing of eyes and/or skin at birth; jaundice.  Delayed puberty  Eye problems  Abdomen and joint pains  Low immune system  Someone with sickle cell can live a full, healthy life however, depending on the severity of your sickle cell your life expectancy can range from 40-60 years old.

5 Area of Body Targeted  The immune system and blood stream are mainly effected by this disease.  Children and adults with sickle cell are more vulnerable to infections and have a harder time fighting them off. http://evadianita.com/wp- content/uploads/2011/02/Sickle-Cell- Anemia.jpg

6 How it is Genetically Transmitted  Two defective genes (SS) is needed for a child to be diagnosed with sickle cell anemia. If each parent carries one defective gene (S) and one normal gene (A), each child has a 25% chance of inheriting two defective genes and having sickle cell anemia and a 25% chance of inheriting two normal genes and not having the disease, also have a 50% chance of not being affected by the genes like their parents.

7 Treatments  There is no cure for sickle cell but there are many different treatments, including;  Blood transfusions  Oral antibiotics, daily.  Hydroxyurea, which is an effective drug treatment for adults with severe sickle cell http://www.healthcentral.com/co mmon/images/a/A0681540_836 69_5.JPG

8 A Day in the Life  A person diagnosed with sickle cell has to take oral antibiotics daily.  This will help their immune system to fight off infections that the average body would be able to fight off on its own.  Besides this, someone with sickle cell does not have to do anything different from the average person.

9 Resources for Those Wanting Information  Sickle Cell Information  www.scinfo.org  ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=sicklecellanemia  www.genome.gov/10001219  www.sicklecelldisease.org  www.nichcy.org

10 Etc.  My brother was diagnosed with sickle cell when he was born. When he gets sick it’s pretty severe, but fortunately for me and my family this is rare & he’s pretty much really healthy (:


Download ppt "By: Breanna Parker & Jake Perkins. Sickle Cell History  In 1910 Sickle Cell Anemia was discovered by James B. Herrick.  James was running blood tests."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google