Presentation on theme: "* Thoughts that go through your mind will always be there * You can’t stop your thoughts * You don’t need to stop the thoughts."— Presentation transcript:
* Thoughts that go through your mind will always be there * You can’t stop your thoughts * You don’t need to stop the thoughts – you just need to choose which thoughts you should pay attention to, and which thoughts you should let drift on past… * The easiest way to change the way you think is to remember one very important thing …
* Remember one important thing…
* Some of your thoughts may be based on fact (or things that used to be true for you) * But - many of the thoughts that run through your head are NOT based on fact * – many of your thoughts are assumptions / opinions / even other-people’s opinions. * The trick is to be real and honest with yourself. * You should try – as best you can – to practise 3 steps.
You will have negative thoughts… These thoughts make you feel sad, jealous, angry, and worthless You will have positive thoughts… These thoughts make you feel happy, love, calm and safe
* You are allowed to think both kinds of thoughts… both positive and negative. You can’t stop any of your thoughts and you should not even try to stop either kinds of thoughts. * You are human! – being human means that you should be having both negative and positive thoughts * You are also allowed to feel the feelings that your thoughts create
* You should not “beat-yourself-up” when you have lots of negative thoughts – it’s normal to have “those days” where everything seems bad * It is not ok to try to block-out your unpleasant thoughts.
* The trick is to be real and honest with yourself. * You should try – as best you can – to practise 3 steps: 1.“Notice” 1.“Notice” the thought and, as best you can, describe it to yourself (or… you could write it down) 2.Decide 2.Decide whether this is thought is worth-thinking- about about or is it just another one of your repeated toughts 3.As 3.As best you can, let the thought drift away.
* Your thoughts will keep coming back – but – eventually… if you make a real effort to practise the 3 steps… you will only “dwell” on the thoughts that you know are worth thinking about * Remember, you can’t stop your thoughts – but you can learn to control them!