Presentation on theme: "Unit 17 My Teacher ---taken from “ The story of my life ” (1920) Revision Comprehension Read more Language Study."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 17 My Teacher ---taken from “ The story of my life ” (1920) Revision Comprehension Read more Language Study
Word study:Make sentences with these words simple-minded patience laughter burst into laughter look back upon wisdom priceless gifted
This kind of work requires much patience. She had no patience with her nosy neighbours. 她不能容忍爱管闲事的邻居们。 with patience = patiently 耐心地 be out of patience with对 …… 不能忍受 be patient with sb 对某人耐心 be patient of sth 对某事耐心 You should be more patient with these patients. 你应该对这些病人再耐心些。
I heard a roar of laughter from the next room. burst into laughter = break out into laughter = burst out laughing 注意由laugh构成的词组有： laugh a good / hearty laugh laugh a bitter laughter have a good laugh over laugh at He laughs longest who laughs last. = He who laughs last laughs longest.
valuable, invaluable, priceless, valueless 和 worthless 1) invaluable ： “ 价值大得无法衡量的 ”“ 非常贵的 ” 。 2) priceless ： “ 价值高得难以确定的 ” “ 无价的 ” 3) valueless ： “ 不值钱的 ”“ 毫无价值的 ” 。 4) worthless ：此词与 valueless 同义，但还有 “ 不足取 的 ”“ 丝毫没用的 ” 之意，这时不能与 valueless 换用。 His advice has been invaluable to the success of the project. Works of art, historic monuments and priceless historical records were ruthlessly destroyed. These paintings have been ruined and are now valueless. The jewels he sold us turned out to be completely worthless. It was a worthless action.
Describe the life of Annie Sullivan using information from the text. 1.Date of birth 2.Her childhoodHer childhood 3.Her educationHer education 4.How she became the writer ’ s teacherHow she became the writer ’ s teacher on April 4 th,1866
2.Her family was very poor.When she was eight years old, her mother died and her father disappeared two years later. Annie, together with her brother, was sent to a children ’ s home. But unfortunately, her brother died there later.
3. When she was fourteen, she left the children ’ s home and entered an institution for the blind. There, she learnt braille, which is a kind of printing that blind people can read by touching groups of raised points that are printed on paper.
4. One day the school where Annie was received a letter. The letter asked for a teacher for a seven-year-old girl who at the age of 19 months had become deaf and blind. Annie considered this was just the kind of demanding job she wanted.
Describe how Annie sullivan taught the little girl: 1.How did the little girl learn her first word? 2.What had Annie done in order to teach the little girl some words?
3.How did Annie teach the little girl to laugh,to jump and so on? 4.What did Annie encourage the little girl to do and how did Annie help her?
What did Helen Keller think of herself, what did she think about the tragic lost of her sight and hearing. This is what she wrote as a young girl.
Sometimes a sense of loneliness covers me like a cold mist. I sit alone, and wait at life ' s shut-door. Beyond there is light and music and sweet friendship. But I may not enter. Silence sits heavy upon my soul. Then comes hope with a sweet smile and said softly " There is joy in forgetting oneself And so I tried to make the light in others' eyes my sun, the music in others' ears my symphony, the smile on others' lips my happiness. ”
It was the genius of my teacher, her sympathy, her love which made my first years of education so beautiful. My teacher is so near to me that I do not think of myself as a part from her. All the best of me belongs to her. Everything I am today was awakened by her loving touch.
1.one or two people had told my mother that I was simple-minded. There _______ one or two things that must be remembered. 有几件事必须记住。 Only one or two ______been questioned about the case. 有关该案只有一两个人受到审问。 Only a word or two _______needed here. 这儿只需几句话就行了。 are have is/are
2. I reached out to Annie ‘ s hand. reach out 伸出手（臂），可作不及物动词，也可作及 物动词。 She reached out and took down a dictionary from the top shelf. 她伸手从最高一格书架上取下一本词典。 She reached out her hand and offered to shake his. 她伸了手去，想和他握手。
3. She also brought me into touch with everything that could be felt ━━ soil, wood, silk. bring into 使进入某种状态。 bring sb into touch ( contact, association) with … 使接 触到。 This brought us into touch with a wide circle of people. 这使我们有机会广泛接触各式各样的人。
4. As I look back upon those years, I am struck by Annie ’ s wisdom. 当我回顾那些岁月时，安妮的智慧 使我惊叹不已。 (1)look back “ 回顾，回忆 ” （＝think about the past, recall the past）, 后接on, upon, to, over介词短语。 Looking back upon our achievements, we are firmly convinced that we shall be able to achieve even greater victories. 回顾我们所取得的成就，我们坚信将 能取得更大的胜利。 (2)be struck by 被 …… 所打动，被 …… 所迷住。
5. To Annie I owe thanks for this priceless gift of speech. =Annie taught me to able to speak. This I consider to be the most valuable gift she gave me. For this I express my gratitude to her. (1)owe thanks to sb for为 …… 而感谢某人。 to sb可提至句首以示强调。如： I owe many thanks to Mr Wang for his help. (2)owe … to 应该把 …… 归功于。如： She owes her success to hard work.