Presentation on theme: "Memories of Butterworth Gospel Hall The “Glorious” Days of BWGH Some Corrections: Re: Ung Gaik See Re: Ng Swee Sin – English educated. Re: the Chinese."— Presentation transcript:
Memories of Butterworth Gospel Hall The “Glorious” Days of BWGH Some Corrections: Re: Ung Gaik See Re: Ng Swee Sin – English educated. Re: the Chinese work, my mother was the one who initiated it. Mr. Yee Fook Cheong came over to help. My eldest sister was teaching the Chinese school too. Many of her SS students are now worshipping at the Chinese Burma Road Gospel Hall. Paik Hong too taught at the Chinese SS at my Kg. Java house. Ofcourse, she has gone up to be with the Lord now! Yes, I cannot find the No. 1 Kg. Java house now – Ng Leong Yoke Sidney S. Adams & Wong Kim Bee
Memories of Butterworth Gospel Hall Re: Weddings of the Ng Family at BWGH: Wong Koon Ming to Ng Meng Yoke (1960) Ng Chee Meng to Oon Bong Chee Ng Leong Yoke to Lim Yau Chuan (1975)
Butterworth Gospel Hall THE CHURCH IN EPHESUS (3 June 2012) Part. 1 - Her Ground and Glory That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love… Eph. 3:17 (10 June 2012) Part 2 – Her Reminder and Reprimand
Homepage of Website: www.berita-bethel-ung.com URL of The Church in Ephesus – Part 1: Her Ground and Glory – https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6430853/Pt.%201% 20The%20Church%20in%20Ephesus%20% 28BWGH%29_PPT.ppt
Part 2 – Her Reminder and Reprimand I. Paul’s Reminder to the Elders of the Church in Ephesus, Acts 20:17-38 (Paul’s 3 rd Missionary Journey) A.From Ephesus to Miletus. Acts 20:1-16 1.Through Macedonia to Troas – Greece, Macedonia, Philippi, Troas.20:1-6a 2.The Meeting at Troas.20:6b-12 3.To Miletus from Troas. 20:13-16
A. From Ephesus to Miletus. Acts 20:1-15 B. At Miletus – Paul’s Farewell Message to the Elders of Ephesus. Acts 20:17-38 His Request for the Elders of the church in Ephesus and his Reminder to them: 1. Paul’s Personal Testimony – A Review 20:17-21 a. He Served in All Seasons – With all Meekness of Mind and many Tears and Trials 20:18-19 b. He Showed All he knew to all he knew that which was Profitable Publicly and Privately. 20:20, 21
1. Paul’s Personal Testimony – A Review20:17 2. Paul’s Present Task – An Overview.20:22-2 7 a.His Desire to go to Jerusalem Despite forewarned Dangers.20:22, 23 b.His Consciousness of His Lord’s Mission and Ministry for him. 20:24 c.He Counted his life not dear just that he might Complete his appointed Course. 20:24 cf. II Tim. 4:7 d.He faced Death, but he had Discharged his Duties well having Declared the whole counsel of God. 20:25-27
1. Paul’s Personal Testimony – A Review20:17 2. Paul’s Present Task – An Overview.20:22-27 3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28-35 A Preview of what was to come and a Review of the Roles and Responsibilities of Elders: NoTextRefCharacterOther Refs. a. Acts 20:17, 28 Acts 20 Their Designation: Tit. 1:5, 7 i. elders of the church 17Elders (presbuteros). Dignity and Maturity of their Spiritual Age, not novices. Lit. – a senior, old. ct. Tit. 2:2, 3; I Tim. 3:6
3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28-35 ii. hath made you overseers 28Overseers (episkopos). Responsibility for Spiritual Activities. Phil. 1:1; I Tim. 3:2; Tit. 1:7; I Pet. 5:2 – taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; iii. elders of the church, overseers 17 28 Their Plurality. the elders …among you, I Pet. 5:1; ordain elders in every city, Tit. 1:5 elders in every church, Acts 14:23
3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28-35 a. Their Designation.20:17 b. the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. 20:28, RSV b. Their Commis- sion Appointed by the Holy Spirit. Appointed by Paul and Barnabas, Acts 14:23; Appointed by Titus, Tit. 1:5; Recognised by members, I Thes. 5:12
3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28 a. Their Designation.20:17 b. Their Commission20:28 c. The elders of the chrch, i.e. Ephesus 20: 17 Their Functions (Only in the local church) Only among you, I Pet. 5:1 i. Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears 20: 19 Govern (heegeomai) = to preside, to Lead – not to Lord. have the rule over you, Heb. 13:7, 17, 24 Do not lord it over those in your charge… I Pet. 5:3, NRSV
3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28 a. Their Designation.20:17 b. Their Commission20:28 c. Their Functions20:17 ii. …have showed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house… to declare unto you all the counsel of God. 20: 20 20: 27 Steward (oikonomos) = discharge through… Public Edification; Private Visitation; Perfect Declaration. the steward of God, Tit. 1:7; Heb. 13:17 Apt to teach, I Tim. 3:2
3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28 a. Their Designation.20:17 b. Their Commission20:28 c. Their Functions20:17 iii I kept back nothing … but have showed you 20: 20 Lead (proisteemi) = to stand before (as examples) …are over you in the Lord, I Thes. 5:12; …elders that rule well, I Tim. 5:17 …one that ruleth well his own house, I Tim 3: 4; examples to the flock, I Pet. 5:3, NRSV
3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28 a. Their Designation.20:17 b. Their Commission20:28 c. Their Functions20:17 iv. Take heed…unto yourselves, and to all the flock 20: 28 Heed (proschete) = attend to They need to be on guard for themselves first. As give attendance (prosecho) to reading, I Tim. 4:13 – Elders need to read to heed! v. Holy Ghost hath made you overseers. 20: 28 Oversee (episkopos) = to look after, to care for …serving as overseers- -not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be. I Pet. 2:2, NIV
3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28 a. Their Designation.20:17 b. Their Commission20:28 c. Their Functions20:17 vi …feed the church of God, (i.e. owned by) God… purchased by blood of His own. 20: 28 Feed (poimaino) = shepherd the Flock, i.e. the church, the church of the Lord purchased with His own blood. Feed the flock, I Pet. 5:2 cf. Jn. 21:15-17 As Pastors, Eph. 4:11; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, I Pet. 5:3 It is God’s/the Lord’s church, not theirs!
3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28 a. Their Designation.20:17 b. Their Commission20:28 c. Their Functions20:17 viiWatch and Remember: Grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise… to draw away disciples… 31 29 30 Watch (agrupneo) and Warn Shepherd and Shelter the Sheep from Savage wolves from outside (they will not Spare the Sheep), and those wolves in Sheep’s clothing from inside. they watch for your souls, Heb. 13:17
3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28 c. Their Functions20:17 i. Labouring… to support the weak; These hands have ministered unto my necessities, and... them that were with me. I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel… remember 1 Jesus…said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. 35a 34 33 35b Labour hard (kopiao) = toil. Paul Worked hard to support the Weak, himself, his colleagues. He did not serve for material gain; He was motivated by the Lord. Know them which labour among you, I Thes. 5:12; I Tim. 5:17 I Pet. 5:2, NIV not greedy for money, but eager to serve not because you must, but because you are willing as God wants you to.
Notes on Eldership: 1. Paul’s Personal Testimony – A Review. 20:17-21 2. Paul’s Present Task – An Overview.20:22-27 3. Paul’s Parting Talk – A Preview.20:28 a. Their Designation.20:17 b. Their Commission20:28 c. Their Functions20:17 i. Note: Elders’ duties are primarily connected with the spiritual welfare of the saints (I Tim. 3:5), and only secondarily with temporal things. Cf. The Elder’s Qualifications in I Tim. 3:1-7; Tit. 1:5-9 4. The Prayerful Farewell:20:36-38 a. It was Tearful – all wept Sore…Sorrowing…that they should See his face no more. 20:37, 38 Note the warm Admiration and Attachment on the part of the Ephesian elders for Paul. b. It was Touching – an Indelible Impression of rare ministerial fidelity and affection.20:36
Part 2 – Her Reminder and Reprimand I. Paul’s Reminder to the Elders of the Church in Ephesus, Acts 20:17-38 II. The Lord’s Reprimand of the Angel of the Church at Ephesus: Rev. 2:1-7 To postpone to October 7, 2012
As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine, 4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do. I Tim. 1:3, 4
Part 2 – Her Reminder and Reprimand I. Paul’s Reminder to the Elders of the Church in Ephesus, Acts 20:17-38 II. The Lord’s Reprimand of the Angel of the Church at Ephesus:Rev. 2:1-7 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write… A. The City and the Church.Rev. 2:1 B. The Character of Christ. 2:1, C. The Condition of the Congregation. Rev. 2:2, 3 cf. I Thes. 1:3
C. T HE C ONDITION OF THE C ONGREGATION. Rev. 2:2, 3 cf. I Thes. 1:3 1. Their Activities ("works").v. 2 a. They Detested Degenerated men from Outside. b. They Detected Deceivers from Inside. cf. Acts 20:2 2. Their Assiduousness ("labour" = work to weariness, cf. I Cor. 15:58)vv. 2, 3 a. They Laboured for the Love of Christ. - for His Name's sake b. They Worked unto Weariness. hast not fainted
1. Their Activities (works).v. 2 2. Their Assiduousness (labour = work to weariness, cf. I Cor. 15:58)vv. 2, 3 3. Their Attitude (patience)vv. 2, 3 a. Their Patience in Steadfastness. b. Their Endurance in Suffering. hast borne - but did not Suffer (tolerate) evil. bear them  = borne )
D. The Complaint and Commendation.Rev. 2:4, 6 1. The Complaint. v. 4 thou hast left thy first love a. The Laxity of their first Love for Christ in Devotion and Commitment. cf. Eph. 3:17-19 i) Because of Money? I Tim. 6:10 ii) Because of Materialism?II Tim. 4:10 iii) Because of Marriage?I Cor. 7:34b ct. Eph. 1:15 b. The Lack of their first Love for Christians in Degree and Concern. thou hast left thy first love!
D. The Complaint & Commendation. Rev. 2:4, 6 1. The Complaint. v. 4 2. The Commendation.v. 6 a. They Hated the Deeds (not people) of the Nicolaitans. (ct. Psa.139:21, 22) i) The Denotation: conquer (nikko) the people (laos) ii) The Designation: * Idolatry and Immorality (?) cf. 2:14, 15, 20. * Clergy and Laity (?) (re. denotation) * The Gnostics and the `Know-alls' (?) b. Pergamum Heeded the Doctrine of the Nicolaitans. cf. 2:15; Here the Deeds developed into Doctrines.
E. The Command and the Counsel, Rev. 2:5 1. Remember (present imperative) your first Love. 2. Repent (aorist imp.) and do (pre. imperative) your first works or be 3. Removed - the testimony of the church was Removed! CHURCH Building IN EPHESUS IN RUINS!!!
F. The Challenge and Conclusion Rev. 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. Rev. 2:4, 5
Paul’s Prayer for the Church at Ephesus, Eph. 3:17-21 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.