Presentation on theme: "Human bites very painful and may cause considerable blood loss/infection Animal bites puncture wounds that can carry infection/bacteria and other germs."— Presentation transcript:
Human bites very painful and may cause considerable blood loss/infection Animal bites puncture wounds that can carry infection/bacteria and other germs deep inside the body Insect bites and stings can be an irritation and are sometimes painful. There is also a risk of localized swelling and anaphylactic shock. Any bite or sting in the mouth or throat can lead to swelling and obstruction of the airway. BITES AND STINGS Although painful, most are not serious!
TREATMENT ●Ensure safety ●Wear gloves ●Keep the casualty still to limit the effects of any venom ●Control any bleeding ●Minimize the risk of infection by keeping the area covered and clean ●Monitor the airway and breathing ●Call 999/112 if necessary ●Do not remove any stings with tweezers. Try to brush them off with a blunt edge and apply an icepack to reduce swelling if needed. Bites and Stings
TREATMENT ●Brush off the cells with powdered chalk or pour vinegar over the affected area to neutralize the cells ●Keep the casualty still to limit the effects of any venom and apply a cold pack to reduce the swelling ●Monitor the airway and breathing ●Send to hospital or call 999/112 if necessary. Jellyfish and sea anemones have stinging cells that stick to the skin. These contain venom and although relatively harmless in the UK, this venom can cause swelling and anaphylactic reactions Bites and Stings
TREATMENT: ●Sit the casualty down and immerse the foot or hand in hot water. This helps to draw the venom back towards the injury site ●Calm and reassure the casualty as they will be in considerable pain ●Send to hospital or call 999/112 for an ambulance ●The spines should only be removed at the hospital ●Keep the injured area clean to minimize the risk of infection Creatures such as weaver fish/sea urchins have spines containing venom as a defence against attack. These spines penetrate the skin and can be difficult to remove. Venom from these creatures can produce massive swelling. This can obstruct circulation,cause infection and on occasions can cause paralysis and cardiac arrest Bites and Stings
TREATMENT: ●Sit the casualty on the floor and keep them still ●Clean the bite area ●Bandage the injury tightly with a crêpe bandage, in order to reduce the circulation and the flow of venom ●Immobilize the affected part and keep it below the level of the heart ●Calm and reassure the casualty ●If the casualty becomes weak or unconscious, place them in the recovery position on the injured side ●Monitor the casualty’s airway and breathing. Be prepared to carry out Basic Life Support. In the UK, snake bites are rare and not usually fatal. They can cause varying reactions, e.g. pain, swelling, vomiting, sweating, disturbed vision, weakness and breathing difficulties Bites and Stings