Presentation on theme: "Words for Production 1. predict [ prI`dIkt ] vt. to say that something will happen before it happens 預測 Scientists still cannot predict when earthquakes."— Presentation transcript:
Words for Production 1. predict [ prI`dIkt ] vt. to say that something will happen before it happens 預測 Scientists still cannot predict when earthquakes will happen. 詞類變化
prediction [ prI`dIkS1n ] n. [C][U] 預言 The prediction she made about the accident has come true.
predictable [ prI`dIkt1bL ] adj. 可預測的 It is predictable that the cost of living in Taiwan will continue to rise. * the cost of living 生活花費
Words for Production 2. dominant [ `dAm1n1nt ] adj. the most important 最重要的，主要的 English is the dominant language in world trade. 詞類變化
dominate [ `dAm1&net ] vt.; vi. 處於最重要的地位；支配 Sports seem to dominate learning in that school. His desire to dominate has caused trouble in his office.
Words for Production 3. replace [ rI`ples ] vt. to take the place of 取代 Robots are replacing human workers in some dangerous jobs. * replace = take the place of
Words for Production 4. remain [ rI`men ] vi. to continue to be in an unchanged state 保持，仍是 After the storm, the old tree in front of our house remained standing.
Words for Production 5. steadily [ `stEdIlI ] adv. in a continuous and gradual way 持續 地，穩定地 The doctor asked his patient to relax as much as possible and keep breathing steadily. 詞類變化
steady [ `stEdI ] adj. 持續的，穩定的 With the teacher’s help, there has been steady improvement in Judy’s schoolwork.
Words for Production 6. worldwide [ `w3ld`waId ] adv. in or over all the world 全世界地 Interest in learning Mandarin has spread worldwide. 詞類變化
worldwide [ `w3ld`waId ] adj. 世界性的 Environmental pollution is a worldwide problem.
Words for Production 7. elsewhere [ `Els&hwEr ] adv. in or to another place; somewhere else 在別處，向別處 Our favorite restaurant was full, so we had to go elsewhere.
Words for Production 8. thrive [ TraIv ] vi. to develop well or be healthy; to be successful 興盛；茁壯 Her business thrived mainly because she had good connections.
Words for Production 9. regional [ `ridZ1nL ] adj. of a particular area of a country or the world 地區的 The man spoke with a regional accent; that’s why I knew he was not a native. 詞類變化
region [ `ridZ1n ] n. 地區 Different regions of the country have their own customs and characteristics.
Words for Production 10. factor [ `f8kt2 ] n. one of several things that influence or cause a situation 因素 His good attitude is an important factor in his rapid success.
Words for Production 11. trade [ tred ] n. the activity of buying, selling, or exchanging goods 貿易 Taiwan has a lot of trade with countries all over the world. 詞類變化 * all over the world 遍及全世界
trade [ tred ] vi.; vt. 做買賣；交換 We never trade with that company because they are not honest. The little boy traded his toy for candy with his classmate.
Words for Production 12. international [ &Int2`n8S1nL ] adj. relating to more than one nation 國際 的 English is an international language, and it will play a key role in the world in the future. * more than = over 超過 * play a key role 扮演關鍵性的角色
Words for Production 13. isolate [ `aIsL&et ] vt. to keep apart or separate from others 孤立，隔絕 Some villages in the mountains were isolated by the snowstorm. 詞類變化
isolated [ `aIsL&etId ] adj. 孤立的，隔絕的 The man had led an isolated life for thirty years.
isolation [ &aIs1`leS1n ] n. 孤立，隔絕 After many years’ isolation from the outside world, the man completely forgot how to communicate with others.
Words for Production 14. prosper [ `prAsp2 ] vi. to become successful, especially financially ( 指經濟上的 ) 繁榮，成功 The fishing village began to prosper when people came to watch the whales nearby. 詞類變化
prosperity [ prAs`pEr1tI ] n. [U] 繁榮，成功 The new university has brought prosperity to this small town.
prosperous [ `prAsp1r1s ] adj. 繁榮的，成功的 It’s hard to believe that hunger is still a serious problem in this prosperous country.
Words for Production 15. essential [ 1`sEnS1l ] adj. necessary and important 必要且極為 重要的，不可或缺的 Water is essential to the growth of crops.
Words for Production 16. failure [ `felj2 ] n. [U] lack of success 失敗 All his plans ended in failure, but he was never disappointed. Instead, he tried again. 詞類變化
fail [ fel ] vi. 失敗 He had failed several times, but he never gave up. * give up 放棄
Words for Production 17. simply [ `sImplI ] adv. really; completely 簡直，完全地 ( 用 以強調否定 ) Don’t believe him. What he said simply isn’t true.
Words for Production 18. media [ `midI1 ] n. pl. the means of mass communication such as television, radio, and newspapers 傳播媒體 The media provide information, amuse people, and teach them. * mass communication 大眾傳播
1. Mandarin [ `m8nd1rIn ] n. [U] the official standard spoken language of China 標準中國話 Words for Recognition * official language 官方語
2. Swahili [ swA`hilI ] n. [U] the language spoken in eastern and central Africa, and used as a lingua franca 史瓦希里語 ( 東部、中部非洲的 共同語言 ) Words for Recognition
3. South America [ sa5T 1`mEr1k1 ] n. [U] the fourth-largest of the continents, linked to North America, lying between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans 南美洲 Words for Recognition * the Pacific Ocean 太平洋 the Atlantic Ocean 大西洋 海洋名稱前面必需加定冠詞
4. Hindi [ `hIndI ] n. [U] one of the official languages of India, spoken especially in north India 印地 語 ( 印度北部的語言，為印度共和國官 方語言之一 ) Words for Recognition
1. express oneself to speak or write what one thinks or feels 表達自己的思想或心情 My English is still not good enough to express myself clearly. Idioms and Phrases
2. right now at this moment; at the present time; exactly now 現在 We will be late for school; we must leave right now. Idioms and Phrases *right now = at this moment = at the present =exactly now
3. be to blame to be responsible for something bad 是... 的原因，該受責備的 The police are trying to find out which driver is to blame for the accident. Idioms and Phrases * be responsible for 為 … 而負責
4. such as like 諸如... ，像 … Young kids love fast food such as hamburgers and French fries. Idioms and Phrases * such as = like 例如 * French fries 薯條
5. when it comes to (doing) something when talking about 談起 … When it comes to (writing) humorous stories, I think Mark Twain was an expert. Idioms and Phrases * When it comes to + N/Ving = When talking about + N/Ving
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.