Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

What you can do, what you can’t do and why it matters.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "What you can do, what you can’t do and why it matters."— Presentation transcript:

1 What you can do, what you can’t do and why it matters

2 © Copyright is held by the creator/owner of any created work and only they have the exclusive rights to use it. © Using copyrighted works without permission is illegal. © The Bible shows clearly that God values honesty, integrity, generosity and respect for the property of others (which includes creative/intellectual property and royalties).

3 A created work may appear in different forms and be used in different ways. E.g. a song may be owned by its composer, who has exclusive rights to perform it. But a recording of that song also involves the rights of the performers and the owners/publishers of the particular recording. Print music also involve the rights of arrangers and publishers. Videos involve a number of copyrights – the story, script, the filmed product, performances, soundtracks, publishers, distributors, …

4 © SO – when you, or others in your centre perform live, play recordings, use videos, print or project lyrics, use Powerpoint, record services – you actually require permission from a number of different copyright holders, all of who deserve their royalties! © Fortunately there are several companies who specialise in licensing – to grant these permissions.

5 YES! According to the Australian Copyright Council, without a license you can: © Perform live music as part of worship or church services (including weddings, funerals and ceremonies) © Play sound recordings as part of worship or church services (including weddings, funerals and ceremonies) © Play music from radio (not including internet radio) or TV as background music. © You can also play, perform or utilize music/ lyrics/works that are in the public domain or for which you or TSA hold copyright.

6 © Reproducing song lyrics, music, photos, images, art work or other copyrighted works in any way for any activity. © Playing ANY PART of a commercially produced movie/video. © Performing live music at concerts, fetes, and other special events that are not worship services. © Playing (performing) recorded music at concerts, fetes, and other special events that are not worship services.

7 Several companies help churches & other organizations to do the right thing, more easily and effectively. They collect & distribute royalties on behalf of copyright holders, so that users CAN have permission to use copyrighted works. © APRA/AMCOS © PPCA © CCLI © and others

8 Mission Team/THQ has arranged a group purchase of several licenses (at a significant discount). These include: APRA Community Group License CCL (Church Copyright License) CVL (Church Video License) Big Movie Studio License (Heritage group) ALL corps/centres with a regular worship service are now covered by these 4 licenses.

9 You CAN : © Perform live/recorded music in worship services & ceremonies (permitted without a licence). © Perform live or recorded music at any other event as part of church activities (permitted by your APRA Community Group licence) You CANNOT: © Charge admission for these performances (it is ok to take up offering or ask for donation entry). © Distribute a video recording of the event* (under some conditions this can be licensed separately or via other license conditions)

10 Church Copyright License (CCL) You CAN: © Reproduce song lyrics – print, copy, project © Make (or use) custom musical arrangements of songs, provided no suitable published version exists. © Record services for ministry purposes (up to 15% of church size, may recover costs up to $5 per audio copy and $15 per video copy). © Make translations of songs (where no published version exists).

11 Church Copyright License (CCL) You CANNOT: © Photocopy sheet music – this requires MRL (Music Reproduction License) © Podcast or live stream the musical or components of your service (unless TSA owned or public domain).

12 Church Copyright License (CCL) You ARE REQUIRED TO: © Report on the songs you use from week to week, in 4 categories: Digital, Print, Recording and Translation. This is easier than you may think, and can be done online. Go to to set up your profile and follow the easy walk through. If you need your OLR access code etc please contact Louise

13 Church Video License (CVL) - CCLI Big Movie Studio License – Heritage group You CAN: © Show movies or movie scenes during ministry activities You CANNOT: © Charge admission © Advertise titles, producers or characters to the general public (i.e. media, social media). You can publicise in church newsletter and announcements though. See websites for T&C of licenses and more info on useful resources like SCREENVUE.

14 Why are there 2 video licenses? Because neither CVL or BMSL covers all studios and producers. Holding only one of these severely limits options in using movies effectively in ministry e.g. Disney is covered by BMSL but Paramount is covered by CVL.

15 Why do we all have different license numbers?  Even though our Territory has a ‘group arrangement’ with CCLI, each centre still requires individual licenses. This is a legal requirement as licenses are specific to a location/site or a specific local church expression.  Our group license arrangement is simply a bulk purchase of all TSA Eastern individual licenses, to gain a healthy discount and to manage renewal paperwork centrally.  Each location has a unique Church ID, and unique license numbers for CCL & CVL as allocated by CCLI.

16 What about SongSelect?  SongSelect is a subscription service – not a license – though it works similarly. Each subscription gives 200 unique song titles per year that users can print from the online database. You can print a copy of the lead sheet, the chord chart (and vocal lead in Premium version), and you can print them in any key or keys you need.  Individual corps/centres need to purchase their own subscription as titles, prints & copies need to be managed by the individual end user.  If you need to make extra copies or photocopies, you will also need to purchase the MRL (Music Reproduction License – see the CCLI website).

17 Who pays for these? © These are part of usual running costs for centres. © THQ pays the entire group invoice at renewal and then license fees are usually charged back to each centre. © CCL and APRA licenses have been part of regular corps expenses for some years. © However as the video licenses are a new initiative, THQ has paid for the first year’s license for all centres. From July 2015 subsequent renewal costs will be passed on as per other licenses.

18 How much do these cost? CCLI has sliding scale based on congregation size: CCL we receive 30% discount; CVL 15% discount. Size0-4950-99100- 149 150- 199 200- 499 CCL80.50124.60185.50247.80338.10 CVL101.15147.05202.30258.40313.65

19 © APRA is a flat fee per centre, approx $71 (we receive 10% discount) © BMSL is a flat fee per centre, $175.50 (we receive 25% discount on lowest rate for all centres regardless of size). © By purchasing licenses as a group, each centre saves at least $110 a year (and as much as $250).


Download ppt "What you can do, what you can’t do and why it matters."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google