2Adhan is…The first step towards the most important pillar of Islam after ShahaadahIf you respect/respond/interact with Adhan properly, it will have direct effect on the performance of the first act of worship: Salah!
3Going Early to Masjidرِجَالٌ لَّا تُلْهِيهِمْ تِجَارَةٌ وَلَا بَيْعٌ عَن ذِكْرِ اللَّهِ وَإِقَامِ الصَّلَاةِ وَإِيتَاء الزَّكَاةِ يَخَافُونَ يَوْمًا تَتَقَلَّبُ فِيهِ الْقُلُوبُ وَالْأَبْصَارُ *Men whom neither merchandise nor selling diverts from the remembrance of Allah and the keeping up of prayer and the giving of poor-rate; they fear a day in which the hearts and eyes shall turn about;
41. Getting an attribute of those whom Allah will give His shade عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال " سبعة يظلهم الله في ظله يوم لا ظل إلا ظله ... ; فذكر منهم: ... ورجل قلبه معلق بالمساجد" [ رواه البخاري ومسلم ]
52. The one who goes early for Salah is in Salah! عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال " لا يزال أحدكم في صلاة ما دامت الصلاة تحبسه لا يمنعه أن ينقلب إلى أهله إلا الصلاة "
63. Getting the first Saff1033. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "Were people to know the blessing of pronouncing Adhan and the standing in the first row, they would even draw lots to secure these privileges. And were they to realize the reward of performing Salat early, they would race for it; and were they to know the merits of Salat after nightfall (`Isha') and the dawn (Fajr) Salat, they would come to them even if they had to crawl.'‘ [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
74. Getting the right side of Saff تحصيل ميمنة الصف ، قال صلى الله عليه وسلم " إن الله وملائكته يصلون على ميامين الصفوف [رواه أبو داود وابن ماجة ] وتحصيل ميمنة الصف من الإمام لا تكون إلا لمن حضر مبكرًا
85. Supplication between Adhan and Iqamah قال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال " لا يرد الدعاء بين الأذان والإقامة "
96. Getting the Takbeer of Ihraam عن أنس بن مالك رضي الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم " من صلى أربعين يوما في جماعة يدرك التكبيرة الأولى كتبت له براءتان : براءة من النار وبراءة من النفاق " [ رواه الترمذي ]
107. Prayer with Khushoo’الصلاة بخشوع ، وتعد المبادرة بالحضور للمسجد والانقطاع عن مشاغل الدنيا ومتاعبها في تلك اللحظات من أسباب الخشوع في الصلاة وإقبال المصلي على ربه ؛ فإن المصلي كلما طال لبثه في المسجد واشتغل بالصلاة والقراءة والذكر والدعاء قبل إقامة الفريضة حضر قلبه وسكنت جواره ووجد نشاطا وراحة وروحا ، فهو يقول : أصلى فاستريح ، كما قال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم " يا بلال ، أرحنا بالصلاة " [ رواه أحمد وأبو داود]
11Numerous Benefits of good Adhan for Non-Muslims It is a source of Dawah.First impression about Islam & Muslims. “First impression is the best impression.”Open & automatic Dawah to all!!!You can START Dawah by explaining it to Non-MuslimsStory: Why do you remember King Akbar!!!
13Only if they knew…1033. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "Were people to know the blessing of pronouncing Adhan and the standing in the first row, they would even draw lots to secure these privileges. And were they to realize the reward of performing Salat early, they would race for it; and were they to know the merits of Salat after nightfall (`Isha') and the dawn (Fajr) Salat, they would come to them even if they had to crawl.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
14Special honor: Long necks 1034. Mu`awiyah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying: "The Mu'adhdhinun (callers to prayer) will have the longest necks on the Day of Resurrection.'' [Muslim].Interpretation: Those who call Adhan will have an honorable and great status on the Day of Requital.
15Witness for you!1035. `Abdullah bin `Abdur-Rahman reported: Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) said to me: “… you should raise your voice because whoever hears the Adhan, whether a human or jinn or any other creature, will testify for you on the Day of Resurrection.'' Abu Sa`id added: "I heard this from the Messenger of Allah (PBUH).'' [Al-Bukhari].
16Shaitaan runs away!Jabir (R) reported that he heard the Prophet pbuh saying; Indeed when Shaitaan hears the call for prayer, he goes away till Rawhaa (Muslim)The Prophet pbuh took the name of Rawhaa (approx 60 Kms from Madinah) to show the effect of Adhan.Believers get drawn towards Masjid hearing Azaan while only Shaitaan (or his likes) run away from it!
17Call it Even During Travels! Maalik bin Huwairith (R) said, “I came to the Prophet pbuh with my cousin. The Prophet pbuh said: ‘When you travel, call Adhan and Iqamah for Salah…’” (Bukhari)
18International Anthem of Muslims! The Message of AdhanFundamentals of Islamare conveyed in Adhan!International Anthem of Muslims!
19Azkar do not have required effects because of: For the one who just hears it: Committing sins (blocks the heart; makes it hard)For the one who does zikr: Continuing in sins / wrong practicesEating HaraamLack of understanding of the meaning of those AzkarLack of knowledge about the virtues of Azkar
20Azkar do not have required effects because of: Lack of pondering / thinking over (Tafakkur + Zikr should go together). This makes a huge difference between an abid and an ‘alim.Lack of firm faith and trust that Allah will respond (Allah is with the ‘thinking’ of the slave)
21Azan and Azkar should: Remind the negligent Guide the lost one Stop a sinnerIncrease the pious in good deeds
22الله أكبر الله أكبرAs far as ذات ، صفات (Entity & Attributes) of Allah are concerned, nothing describes better than these words.No one in this universe is greater than Allah in any sense... Not even close to him.
23Takbeer: اللهُ أكبرThe most often repeated phrase in our lives (esp. in Azan, Iqamah, and Salah)Like the striking of clock every hour, reminding him of the duties towards Allah.Repeated almost 200 times by every MuslimRepeated another 200 times if you recite it 33 times after every Salah and before sleep!
24Big Question: Its effect? What is the effect of this phrase in our life???What is its effect right in the Salah itself?OR is it meant to have no effect at all? (The way we are living right now, illa mashaAllah!)
25أكبر مِنْ؟ Greater than? Akbar (greater…)It should have been followed by “than something / someone”.Ex: Ahmad is greater than Umar أحمد أكبرُ مِن عمرBut it is dropped here. Why?To remind us that Allah can not be compared with any of His creation. He is the Greatest.
26الله أكبر الله أكبر Among the first commands given to the Prophet وَرَبَّكَ فَكَبِّرْ– “And glorify your Lord”; Do TakbeerProclaim itBelieve itAnd do it
27Do we really mean اللهُ أكبر ? After listening to Fajr Azan: If we still sleep, then is sleep greater or Allah?During the day: Is our work, meeting, chatting, eating, shopping, going or coming to some place, greater (and therefore deserves our attention) or Allah? Even worse, watching TV or just having fun with Haraam greater than Allah?
28Do we really mean اللهُ أكبر ? Imagine a scenario. My boss (at the job) tells me to prepare a report. I do not do it or do it badly and when I see him, I say, “Boss! You are great!”Another scenario: He asks me to come to job at 7.30 AM. I go there by 9 AM and say, “Boss! You are great!”“Wa lillahil mathalul-a’laa”. If I say AllahuAkbar but do not care about his commands…
29Do we really mean اللهُ أكبر ? The biggest obstacle that a person has in following the right path is his ego. He always thinks he is right. He is reminded again and again that he has to crush his ego in front of Allah. He is nothing…Allah is the Greatest. Therefore, just build up the life around Allah’s commandments.
30In Adhan & SalahWe are asked to repeat the words of Mu’azzin. This is to interact and respond to the call and act accordingly.During Salah, we say it 6 times every Raka’h. People get into worldly thoughts, programs, worries and they are reminded again that Allah is greater than everything else. So they don’t deserve attention. Pay attention to Him alone and come back to Salah.
31لا تجعل الله أهون الناظرين إليك Don’t make Allah to be leastO Sinner! You are afraid if people look at you or you don’t want to disrespect them. What about Allah who is looking at you always?Have you made Allah as the onlooker to be last and the least to be respected or afraid from or worried about!?
32اللهُ أكبر؟؟؟O Sinner! Allah is Greater than you (and can catch you) when you make plans.O Arrogant! When you reject Truth or look down upon people, do you know that Allahu Akbar!O Oppressor! Allahu Akbar! He destroyed Fir’oun and so many others.O the one who thinks he is Smart or Intelligent or Boss of someone! Remember AllahuAkbar!And lastly, O poor, humble, and helpless person! Remember AllahuAkbar! Nobody is greater than Him.
33اللهُ أكبر in DawahAll obstacles, and those who create them are nothing.وَرَبَّكَ فَكَبِّرْ – Say it and do it in your life!Proclaim that “Allah is the Greatest”.
34اللهُ أكبر in DawahIf in a country, a ruler’s orders are not obeyed or cared for, is he great?If Allah’s Commands are not implemented, is He Great or someone else?Make all those efforts which make Allah Greatest in a society in terms of implementation of His commands.i.e., Work for ISLAMIC DAWAH.
35أَشْهَدُ أَنْ لاَّ إِلـٰـهَ إِلاَّ الله This is the statement of Tawheed (the Oneness of Allah).In fact the concept of Tawheed is completed here (along with Allahu Akbar)
36لا إله إلاّ الله He is the Creator, the Sustainer, the Controller, the Lord of us all and of the entire universethe Sovereign ruler of all the creations.He alone should be worshipped andHe alone should be obeyed.no one in any of these capacities is His associate.
37: I should not…لا إله إلاّ الله think any one other than Allah as the protector, provider, helper, etc.fear any one, nor put his trust in anyone, nor pin his hopes on anyone,worship / OBEY any one except Allah,ask for help of any onerecognize anyone except Allah as the absolute law-giver and law-maker;
38: I should …لا إله إلاّ الله Follow Allah’s orders and not my own desiresRegard Allah himself as the owner of my being, my wealth, and everythingConsider myself accountable to Allah for every thing;Make Allah the sole criterion of my likes and the dislikes;Make the seeking of the pleasure of, and closeness to Allah the sole objective of my lifeAccept only Allah’s guidance in all spheres of life, in social and civic spheres, in economics and politics, etc.
39: in Dawahلا إله إلاّ الله Does humanity know this?How much work have I done in the past week?What is my plan for the next week?How much am I spending for this work?
40أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا رَّسُولُ اللهِ If Allah alone is our deity, then how to worship and obey him? Through the Prophet Muhammad pbuh.This leads to concept of Prophethood in Islam.
41محمد رسول الله: I should… I should accept without hesitation every teaching that is proved to emanate from Muhammad (Allah’s blessings and peace be on him!);No other reasoning should be the basis of my obedience;I should take the Book of God and Sunna of His Messenger alone as the real sanction and authority and the ultimate source to fall back upon in every matter of my life;
42محمد رسول الله: I should… I should not adopt any idea, belief or method which is not in accordance with the Book and the Sunnah (the sayings, precepts and practices of the Prophet pbuh)All my likes and dislikes (person and family, or tribe and race, or nation and country, or community and Jamaat) should not be above the love of Allah and His Messenger pbuhHold no human being, except رسول الله, as the criterion of right and wrong
43محمد رسول الله: in Dawah How many people know it?How much work have we done to convey this message to humanity? LAST WEEK?What is our plan for THIS WEEK?How much am I going to spend for this?
44حَيَّ عَلَى الصَّلَوٰةِ To start worshipping Allah and establishing our link with Him, you are called for performing the FIRST and the BEST approach… Salah.
45حَيَّ عَلَى الْفَلاَحِ This path alone guarantees REAL SUCCESS. If you follow other paths, you will end up in complete failureIn other words, it invites everyone to think about Aakhirah.It gives concept of Aakhirah.
46اَلله ُ أَكْبَرُ اَلله ُ أَكْبَرُ. لاَ إِلـٰـه إِلاَّ الله اَلله ُ أَكْبَرُ اَلله ُ أَكْبَرُ. لاَ إِلـٰـه إِلاَّ اللهAdhan is concluded by the most important of all concepts of Islam again.A complete concept of Tawheed… that no one is greater than Him and there is no god except Allah.That we should work hard and seek His pleasure alone.
47الصَّلوةُ خَيْرٌ مِّنَ النَّوْمِ، الصَّلوةُ خَيْرٌ مِّنَ النَّوْمِ Added in Adhan of Fajr.
48قَدْ قَامَتِ الصَّلوة، قََدْ قَامَتِ الصَّلوة As part of Iqamahالصَّلوة is feminine gender, therefore قامَت (she stood) is used instead of قَامَRemember فَعَلَ (he did); فَعَلَتْ (she did)
50Excellent Opportunities!!! 4 things after Adhan! Answering AdhanExcellent Opportunities!!!4 things after Adhan!
51Repeat the same words (Except for Hayya…) 1038. Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "When you hear the Mu'adhdhin (pronouncing the call to Salat), repeat after him what he says.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
52Repeat the same words (Except for Hayya…) It is a renewal of faith for every Muslim.The whole Muslim society renews its faith and commitment at the time of Adhan.Perhaps that is why it is so rewarding to repeat the words of Adhan.
53لاَ حَوْلَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إِلاَّ بِاللهِ In response to حَيَّ عَلَى الصَّلوة and حَيَّ عَلَى الفلاحWhat does it mean???There is no strength (to avoid sins; to leave everything else for Salah) and no power (to do good; to come to Salah) except with (the help of) Allah.
551. Send Durood after Adhan 1037. `Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`As (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "When you hear the Adhan, repeat what the Mu'adhdhin says. Then ask Allah to exalt my mention because everyone who does so will receive in return ten rewards from Allah. Then beseech Allah to grant me Al-Wasilah, which is a high rank in Jannah, fitting for only one of Allah's slaves; and I hope that I will be that man. If any one asks Al-Wasilah for me, it becomes incumbent upon me to intercede for him.'' [Muslim]
562. Prayer After Adhan1039. Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "He who says upon hearing the Adhan: `Allahumma Rabba hadhihid-da`wati-ttammati, was-salatil-qa'imati, ati Muhammadanil-wasilata wal-fadhilata, wab`athu maqaman mahmuda nilladhi wa `adtahu [O Allah, Rubb of this perfect call (Da`wah) and of the established prayer (As-Salat), grant Muhammad the Wasilah and superiority, and raise him up to a praiseworthy position which You have promised him]', it becomes incumbent upon me to intercede for him on the Day of Resurrection.'' [Al-Bukhari].
573 things…1. Waseelah: Special status and grade to be given only to the Prophet pbuh2. Fazeelah: Another description of that special status3. Maqaam-um-Mahmood: Special position that the Prophet pbuh will get on the Day of Judgment. All Prophets will be under his flag. He will be given permission to intercede etc.
583 things…Those positions will be given to the Prophet pbuh anyway. It is a huge honor that we are encouraged by the Prophet pbuh to ask Allah that these positions be given to him (pbuh).He (pbuh) also said that whoever will do so will get special intercession by him (pbuh).
603. Prayer After Adhan1040. Sa`d bin Abu Waqqas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "He who says after the Adhan: `Ash-hadu an la ilaha illallah Wah-dahu la sharika Lahu; wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan `abduhu wa Rasuluhu, radhitu Billahi Rabban, wa bi Muhammadin Rasulan, wa bil Islami Dinan [I testify that there is no true god except Allah Alone; He has no partners and that Muhammad (PBUH) is His slave and Messenger; I am content with Allah as my Rubb, with Muhammad as my Messenger and with Islam as my Deen],' his sins will be forgiven.'' [Muslim].
624. Ask anything because the time has started… The time of answering the prayers by Allah starts with Adhan.1041. Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "The supplication made between the Adhan and the Iqamah is never rejected.'' [Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].
64In Conclusion…Calling/Listening/Responding to Adhan is the first step towards..It renews our faithTeach our childrenImagine if DOCTORS, ENGINEERS, MANAGERS, BIG BUSINESSMEN, LECTURERS, PROFESSORS, LEADERS call Adhaan in the Masjid.