Presentation on theme: "Medical terminology T / sanaa abd elhamed"— Presentation transcript:
1Medical terminology T / sanaa abd elhamed BASIC WORD STRUCTUREMedical terminology T / sanaa abd elhamed
2OBJECTIVES Define the word parts. At the end of this lecture, you should able to:Define the word parts.Give an example of how the word parts are used.Recognize and use some general nouns, adjectives and plurals used in medical terminology.Analyze the word parts in a case study.
3-The four types of word parts are: Word rootSuffixPrefixCombining vowel
4WORD ROOT The main part or foundation of a word: Example: cardiac; cardi / acroot(heart)If the word end with (vowel) SUFFIX IS ( ac )
5SUFFIX Word ending. Example: cardiac; cardi / ac suffix (pertaining to)
7PREFIX Word beginning. It changes the meaning of the root. Prefixes, usually; not always, indicate to location, time or number.
8Example:pre/natal peri/natal post/natalprefix prefix prefix(before (around) (after)or in front of)
9COMBINING VOWELA vowel (usually o) linking the root to the suffix or to another root. Example:gastr o enter o logyroot root suffix(stomach) (intestine) (study of)combining vowel
10The combination of a word root with the combining vowel called COMBINING FORM. Example:cardiogram; cardi o gramroot combining suffix(heart) vowel (record)
11COMMONLY USED PREFIXES 1. abnormal (means away from normal). abnormal (adj) Noun is abnormality. Adverb is abnormally.
122. A febrile (means without fever). a means no or without. 3 2. A febrile (means without fever). a means no or without. 3. anemia (n) (a-nee-mia) means a condition where the level of haemoglobin and red blood cells is less than normal. The prefix an means no or without. The suffix -emia means blood condition. Anaemic is adj.
134. Diagnose (v) means identify a patient’s condition or illness by examining the patient and noting symptoms. dia- means through. gnose means knowledge. Diagnosis (n) Diagnostic (adj)
145. Dysuria (n) (dis-yoor-ia) means pain or difficulty in passing urine 5. Dysuria (n) (dis-yoor-ia) means pain or difficulty in passing urine. dys ur ia prefix root suffix (difficult) (urine) (condition)
156. Endoscopy (n) (en-dos-ko-pi) means an examination of the inside of the body using an endoscope. endoscopic (adj) endo scopy prefix suffix (inside) (visual examination)
167. Hypertension (n) (hy- per-ten-shon) means high blood pressure 7. Hypertension (n) (hy- per-ten-shon) means high blood pressure. hypertensive (adj) 8. Hypotensive patient means low blood pressure. hypo is opposite to hyper
179. Intercostal (adj) (inter-kos-t’l) means between the ribs 9. Intercostal (adj) (inter-kos-t’l) means between the ribs. inter cost al prefix root suffix (between) (ribs) (pertaining to)
1810. Intravenous (adj) (intra-vee-nus) means within a vein 10. Intravenous (adj) (intra-vee-nus) means within a vein. intravenously (adverb) intra ven ous prefix root suffix (within) (vein) (pertaining to)
1911. Preoperative (adj) (pree- op-er-a-tiv): means before operation. 12 11. Preoperative (adj) (pree- op-er-a-tiv): means before operation. 12. Postoperative (adj) means after. 13. Subcutaneous (adj) (sub-kew-tay-nius): means under the skin. Opposites super- and supra- means above.
20COMMONLY USED SUFFIXES 1. Angiography (n) (an-ji-og-rafi) means an X-ray examination of blood vessels. angi/o means blood vessel. The suffix –graphy means the process of recording a picture. angiograph (n) or angiogram
212. Angioplasty (n) (an-ji-oh-plas-ti) means a surgical repair of blood vessels. 3. Cardiac (adj) (kar-di-ak) means pertaining to the heart. Heart (n).
224. Cardiology (n) (kar-di-ol-oji) means the study of the structure, function and diseases of the heart. The suffix –logy means study of. cardiological (adj) 5- Cardiologist (n) means doctor who specialises in heart diseases.
236. Gastritis (n) (gas-try-tis) means an inflammation of the stomach 6. Gastritis (n) (gas-try-tis) means an inflammation of the stomach. The suffix -itis means inflammation. 7. Gastroscopy (n) (gas-tros-ko-pi) means a visual examination of the stomach. gastroscopic (adj)
248. Nephrosis (n) (ni-froh-sis) means any disease of the kidney 8. Nephrosis (n) (ni-froh-sis) means any disease of the kidney. The suffix –osis means abnormal condition. 9. Neural (adj) (newr-al) means pertaining to the nerve.
2510. Neuralgia (n) (newr-al-ja) means severe burning or stabbing pain in a nerve. The suffix -algia means pain. 11. Tracheostomy (n) (tray-ki-ost-omi) means surgical operation to make an opening in the trachea. The suffix –stomy means to create surgically an opening.
2612. Gastrectomy (n) (gas-trek-tomi) means surgical removal or excision of the stomach. 13. Gastric (adj) (gas-trik) means pertaining to the stomach. Stomach (n)
27Prefixes and roots denoting number or size twotwo, doublehalfover or more than usualunder or less than usualequal, samelargeenlargementbi –dipl/ohemi-hyper-hypo-iso-macro-megal/o
28Prefixes and roots denoting number or size micro-mono-multi-null-poly-semi-tri-Uni-smallonemanynonehalf/partialthree