Presentation on theme: "21. Life in the Lord Romans 12: 9-21 p. 1047-48 Application Points A “to do” list for the Christian Life ? ? ? A Call to “ATTENTIVE INTIMACY” with."— Presentation transcript:
21. Life in the Lord Romans 12: 9-21 p
Application Points A “to do” list for the Christian Life ? ? ? A Call to “ATTENTIVE INTIMACY” with God NOT A CHECKLIST ! ! ! Specific instructions can short-circuit our walk with God – Essential step: Being attentive to the Spirit
1. A Picture not a Checklist A Practical List. Right balance of “dos” and “don’ts” It is a Picture Paul is trying to describe a Lifestyle. Not limited to the actual things on the list. Contrasts description of human sinfulness (1:29-32) The details for you determined by attentive dependence on the Spirit.
2. Attentive Intimacy cures Phariseism Universal human tendency to reduce our relationship with God to “dos” and “don’ts” True Application points require Prayerful Consideration: Retrospectively: handled things differently in the past Plan & Consider: what I should do now Spontaneous: reacting in the moment
2. Attentive Intimacy cures Phariseism... An exciting alternative way of Living: Get to be part of what God is doing around us Get to see God at work We have issues and people to pray about We rise above self-focus to be caught up in the Kingdom We “test and approve” God’s will (v 2)
3. Attentive Intimacy covers things not mentioned Social hierarchy vs. Multiculturalism Our issue: different cultures and language groups Easy to fit in when we see the picture. Many things are relevant to us: Clinging to Good (as God defines it) Putting others above ourselves Practising hospitality Not being superior [not being wise within yourself] Doing right Peacemakers,contributing to harmony not dissention “Consider yourselves with sober judgment” (v 3)
Conclusion: Attentive Intimacy The Picture of Kingdom people living for God Our vision: “Loving Christ, serving the world” Not a checklist ! Being willing to be inconvenienced, opposed, available. Being joyful, patient, faithful (v 12) The Miracle that is the way of the Kingdom.
Attentive Intimacy: Human Worship Care Stewardship Human Creation: Things & Animals Love