Today’s outline W orking for the World I mitation from Intimacy L ife for the Lost L iving for the Lord
1. W orking for the World Jesus heals a paralytic On the Sabbath !!! Jesus’ answer: The workings of the Trinity How it makes sense in a monotheistic belief system Speaks to how we should relate to God
1. W orking for the World... Jesus “working” on the Sabbath (10 commandments, Dt 5:12 ) Jewish Dilemma: Is God “working” on Sabbath sustaining the universe? Breaking his own commandment Jesus confirms God is “always at work” (v 17) Uses this to justify that he too is working Offends the Jews: Calls God “MY Father” equates himself with God. Outrageous Blasphemy in their eyes.
2. I mitation from Intimacy If Jesus is “equal” with God – there are TWO Gods Contradicts the “shema”. Deut 6:4 “Yhwh is our God, Yhwh is ONE” Jesus’ answer: The Son can do “nothing from himself” (v 19) Jesus is in complete unity and oneness with the One True God. Not “another” God !!!
2. I mitation from Intimacy... Four parallel statements: FOR... whatever the Father does the Son also does (v 19) FOR... the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does (v 20) FOR... just as the Father gives life, so also the Son gives life (v 21) FOR... the Father has entrusted all judgment to the Son (v 22) The constant unified co-activity of Father & Son is based in the unity of perfect Love.
2. I mitation from Intimacy... Are there TWO Gods? NO !!! Supremacy in the Godhead belongs to the Father. Their “equality” is in their unity and complete intimacy & trust. They differ in their station. Jesus is so in unity with the Father, he perfectly reveals him “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (14:9) Based first not on love for us, but mutual love between Father & Son.
3. L ife for the Lost The Father has entrusted judgment to the Son Who will have Life Son came not to judge (condemn) but to save (3:17) World is condemned already – all the defilement cannot go on forever Jesus came on a rescue Mission! Everyone is “dead” (v 25) All who “hear” and “believe” have “crossed over from death to life” (v 24)
3. L ife for the Lost... The one on the Throne is the “son of Man” (v 27, cf Dan 7:13-14) Three strands come together: Jesus as “Son of Man” is given an eternal kingdom to rule Jesus is just in judging because he has been a human being He is the one who perfectly revealed the Father to us There is no excuse left – we must “hear” and “believe” !
4. L iving for the Lord In the same way... Our love for God is intimately reflected in our faithful obedience Through this “imitation” we grow in our knowledge of Him. This causes our love for Him to grow. This also, through faithfulness, reveal him to others. Loving faithfulness is more precious than silver.
4. L iving for the Lord Faithfully loving God will allow us to know God more intimately and to reveal Him to others