Presentation on theme: "Midterm Exam ATN9. I.Vocabulary: mark the best option. 1.Will you speak louder? I can ______ hear what you say. a.really b. barely c. seldom 2. My eyes."— Presentation transcript:
I.Vocabulary: mark the best option. 1.Will you speak louder? I can ______ hear what you say. a.really b. barely c. seldom 2. My eyes are really _______. I need to check them. a.used b. throbbing c. bad 3. You can find anything you want in Ted’s bedroom. He’s such a(n) _______ guy. a. noble b. organized c. engaged
out 4. The moon is out tonight. a.bright b. visible c. romantic make up his mind 5. When will Tom make up his mind about the trip? a. make a decision b. think of a decision c. take a guess going through 6. Nobody knows what Phil has been going through these days. a. doing b. working on c. experiencing
stretching his hands out 7. Look, Ralph is stretching his hands out in front of you. a. holding out b. going through c. giving up have disappeared 8. My problems have disappeared! a. gone through b. gone away c. given up going after 9. The police are going after the thief to catch him. a. running after b. going with c. coming across
stopped 10. We have just stopped smoking. a. Knocked over b. gone through c. given up met Roy by accident 11. Cindy met Roy by accident on the street last week. a. came across b. went with c. run after 12. “Are you ready to order now?” choose “Yes. I will choose french fries.” a. hold out b. give up c. go with
13. Kelvin is a good waiter. He must be given good ______. a. paradoxes b. tips c. refreshments 14. Here’s a good ____: pour salt on the carpet to remove wine. a. tip b. word c. deer 15. Do you think Paul will marry Sue? “ _____________________”. a.This has been a wild guess b. Take a guess c. Your guess is as good as mine
16. “Are you ______ anyone at the moment?” “Yeah, but this is my secret.” a. going steady b. dumping c. seeing 17. When are you two marrying? You have been _______ for 3 years now. a. going steady b. dumping c. seeing 18. Tom is ________ because Lee broke up with him yesterday. a. knocked over b. down in the dumps c. given up
19. Columns: 1. pros and cons 2. widely 3. nonetheless 4. sweetmeats 5. sweetbreads 6. paradoxes 7. quicksand ( ) very much ( ) part of animal used for food ( ) an apparent contradiction ( ) advantages & disadvantages ( ) cakes or pastry ( ) however ( ) loose sand that sucks down objects on its surface 4 2 1 3 6 7 5
1. nose 2. recital 3. cargo 4. marvel 5. unique 6. wind up (watch) 7. wind up (essay) ( ) to start it ( ) to finish it ( ) the organ of smell ( ) freight ( ) a concert ( ) to wonder ( ) the only one 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
II. Grammar – choose the best item. 1.If I had been able to practice French a little bit more, I _______ used to it. a. should have been b. would have been c. would be 2. I wish my brother _______ his dog before he went to work this morning. a. had fed b. would feed c. fed
3. Pete wishes he ________ advantages of his day off last week. a. had taken b. took c. would take 4. Cindy __________ as her mother told her and do one thing at a time. Now she doesn’t know what to do first. a. would have done b. should have done c. had never done
5. Ted painted his room last month. causative form: Ted had his room painted last month. Julie cut her hair this morning. ______________________________________. 6. Tom is replacing the front tire on his motorbike. ______________________________________ _____________________________________. Julie had her hair cut this morning. Tom is having the front tire on his motorbike replaced
7. Look! Phil is washing his car at the gas station now. ____________________________________ ____________________________________. 8. Sue has had her exercises corrected by the teacher. = Sue has had the teacher correct her exercises. Tom had his house painted by Mike yesterday. _____________________________________ Look! Phil is having his car washed at the gas station now. Tom had Mike paint his house yesterday.
9. If I had time, I would have my PC fixed by Francis. _____________________________________. 10. I should have asked Linda to buy my tickets last week. Now they are all sold out. _____________________________________ _____________________________________. If I had time, I would have Francis fix my PC. I should have had Linda buy my tickets last week. Now they are all sold out.
11. Dad didn’t want to give me money for the show, but I ____________ some or I would tell mom about his new secretary. a. had him lend me b. got him to lend me 12. Jim ____ the bank ______ all the money I needed. He is a prestigious man. a. got … to lend b. had … lent c. had … lend 13. Jim ____ the manager _____ all the money I needed. He’s a prestigious man. a. got … to lend b. had … lent c. had … lend
III. Put the indirect object before the direct object: 1. Rich bought a car. (Sue) _____________________________________ 2. I bought some cookies at the bar. (you) _____________________________________ 3. Dad got this exercise bike last week. (me) _____________________________________ Rich bought Sue a car. I bought you some cookies at the bar. Dad got me this exercise bike last week.
IV. Put the indirect object after the direct object. 1. I never tell my secrets. (Paul) _____________________________________ 2. I have bought a new watch. (my son) _____________________________________ 3. Yesterday Eric gave me some flowers. _____________________________________ 4. We have already sent Mark some letters. _____________________________________ I never tell my secrets to Paul. I have bought a new watch for my son. Yesterday Eric gave some flowers to me. We have already sent some letters to Mark.
V. Vocabulary again – choose the best one. 1.“What’s your new neighbor’s name?” “Oh, his name is ______________.” a. a wild guess b. on the tip of my tongue c. down in the dumps 2. Tom and Sue have been _____ for years. a. going steady b. knocking over c. going with
3. ______ is the largest country in the Great Britain. a.Scotland b. Wales c. England 4. Phil is going to be a (an) ________. He will study in a foreign country for a year. a.pigeon b. foreigner c. exchange student 5. Why is the child so ____ today? Is he sick? a.thrilling b. quiet c. royal 6. In London, people prefer to take the ____. a. tube b. flat c. brochure
7. Rio is a city with a great ______. a. appeal b. film c. mansion 8. Do you like the ______ in your city? a. nightlife b. wildlife c. folk 9. I was ________ by the beauty of the City of Lights – Paris is wonderful! a. overwhelmed b. appreciated c. bored 10. The film I saw last week was so _______. a. boring b. bored c. planned
12. Dad is going to ______ tonight. I’ll fix him with some soup. a. get around b. pay me a visit c. figure out 13. I think Ted has an infection; his face is _______. a. bleeding c. sore c. swollen 14. In case of pain, take one or two ______ the doctor gave you, OK? a. pills b. shots c. gums
15. “Did you leave a message with Tim’s secretary to call you back?” “Yeah, she said she wouldn’t mind ______ it. a. filming b. contacting c. taking 16. “Is Mark coming back after lunch?” “No, I think he’s ___________.” a. gone for the day b. filming downtown c. extremely urgent
17. “Should we buy this brand new car?” “No, we are on a ___________. Remember?” a. good deal b. tight budget c. jet ski