Presentation on theme: "HIV True or False Module HIV/AIDS Activity 2: HIV:True or False."— Presentation transcript:
HIV True or False Module HIV/AIDS Activity 2: HIV:True or False
TRUE OR FALSE 1) You can become infected with HIV from mosquito bites ………………………………………………………………………
1) You can become infected with HIV from mosquito bites. – FALSE It has been extensively researched and proven that HIV cannot be transmitted this way. In many regions where malaria is common and spread from mosquito bites, the only people infected with HIV are sexually active men and women and babies born to HIV-infected mothers, and people who became infected due to blood transfusions or sharing needles.
TRUE OR FALSE 2) Anal sex is the riskiest form of sexual contact.
2) Anal sex is the riskiest form of sexual contact. - TRUE Anal sex carries a higher risk of HIV transmission than other types of sexual contact. During anal sex, the penis can tear the mucous membrane of the anus, which provides the virus with an entry point into the bloodstream. Dry vaginal sex also causes tearing of the mucous membrane and, therefore, is a high-risk behavior for HIV transmission as well.
TRUE OR FALSE 3) People can become infected with HIV if they perform oral sex on a man. ………………………………………………………………………
3) People can become infected with HIV if they perform oral sex on a man. – TRUE HIV is present in the semen of infected men. Therefore, HIV may be transmitted if semen enters the person’s mouth. A man can reduce the risk of transmitting HIV by wearing a condom and ensuring that no semen enters his partner’s mouth.
TRUE OR FALSE 4) When used correctly, condoms can protect men and women from becoming infected with HIV.
4) When used correctly, condoms can protect men and women from becoming infected with HIV. – TRUE Latex condoms are not 100% effective, but after abstinence, they are most effective way of preventing STIs, including HIV infection. Some groups have reported inaccurate research that suggests that HIV can pass through latex condoms, but that is not true. In fact, standard tests show that water molecules, which are five times smaller than HIV molecules, cannot pass through latex condoms.
TRUE OR FALSE 5) Special medicines or herbs can cure HIV infection.
5) Special medicines or herbs can cure HIV infection. – FALSE Currently, there is not cure or vaccine for HIV infection. Some drugs that can slow down the production of the virus in an infected person exist or prevent certain opportunistic infections in an infected person, but they are expensive and difficult to access.
TRUE OR FALSE 6) If you stay with only one partner, you cannot become infected with HIV.
6) If you stay with only one partner, you cannot become infected with HIV. – FALSE Individuals who are faithful to their partner may still be at risk for HIV if their partner engages in sexual activity with other people. In addition, individuals who are monogamous with their partner now may have contracted HIV from someone else in the past; therefore, they may have the disease without knowing it and/ or without telling their current partner. Only a long-term, monogamous relationship with someone who has not been previously infected can be considered “safe”.
TRUE OR FALSE 7) People with STIs are at higher risk for becoming HIV-infected than people who do not have STIs.
7) People with STIs are at higher risk for becoming HIV-infected than people who do not have STIs. – TRUE Infections in the genital areas provide HIV with an easy way to enter the bloodstream
TRUE OR FALSE 8) A man can transmit HIV to his partner during sex, even if he withdraws before ejaculation.
8) A man can transmit HIV to his partner during sex, even if he withdraws before ejaculation. - TRUE Withdrawal does not eliminate the risk of HIV. Pre-ejaculatory fluid from the penis can contain the virus and can transmit HIV to another person. However, withdrawing is better than ejaculating inside the sexual partner since it minimizes the amount of exposure to semen.
TRUE OR FALSE 9) A man can be cured of HIV by having sex with a girl who is a virgin.
9) A man can be cured of HIV by having sex with a girl who is a virgin. – FALSE Some people believe this misconception, but it is not true. Virgins do not have any power to heal HIV-infected individuals. There is no way to cure HIV once a person is infected.
TRUE OR FALSE 10) HIV is transmitted more easily during dry sex than wet sex. – TRUE
HIV can be transmitted more easily during dry sex because the lack of lubrication causes cuts and tearing on the skin and mucous membranes of the genitals of both men and women. These cuts provide the virus with an easy way to enter the blood stream.
TRUE OR FALSE 11) You can always tell if a person has HIV by his or her appearance.
11) You can always tell if a person has HIV by his or her appearance. – FALSE Most people who become infected with HIV do not show any signs of illness for years. However, the virus remains in their body and can be passed on to other people. People with HIV look ill only during the last stages of AIDS, when they are near death.