Presentation on theme: "Write the general characteristics of epithelial and connective tissue."— Presentation transcript:
Write the general characteristics of epithelial and connective tissue.
1. Tissues are groups of cells working together to perform a specific function. 2. Epithelial tissues serve to protect, excrete and secrete products, and absorb and filter substances. 3. Epithelial tissue is specialized in certain (2 sides, various shapes/layers) to accomplish the functions above.
4. Epithelial tissue is supported by connective tissue. 5. Connective tissue is the most common tissue type in our bodies – it serves to protect & support, transport (blood), bind and insulate. 6. Connective tissue is made of both cells and an extracellular matrix, which is maintained by the cells. 7. Both Connective and Epithelial Tissues originate from the same embryonic cells that differentiate into the many types that we find.
1. The skin in the cutaneous membrane made from Epithelial Tissue (keratinized, stratified squamous cells) piled on top of Connective Tissue (dense irregular) 2. It face the outside environment and is dry.
1. Also Epithelial Tissue on top of Connective Tissue 2. Moist or wet membranes that line any cavity that opens to the outside environment (nose, lungs, mouth, digestive tract) 3. Function to protect by secreting mucous (4- 5 L / day!)
1. Epithelial Tissue on top of Connective Tissue 2. Lubricated membranes that line the ventral body cavities which are closed off.
1. If and when tissue is damaged, it has to be repaired. 2. Two different responses of body can be inflammatory or immune response.
3. Inflammatory Response Nonspecific but fast Cells in the Connective Tissue release chemical signals that dialate (expand) capallaries and increase permeability Key immune cells and special proteins move in and patch the area to seal it off from pathogens. A scab is the visible result of this process.
4. New cells must replace damaged ones Regeneration is where new, identical cells replace old ones Fibrosis is where fibrous CT (scar tissue) replaces the old cells Some tissues can regenerate very fast (Epithelial Tissue, bone, a few Connective Tissues) Some tissues only generate some or weakly (mm, cartilage) Some tissues have NO regenerative abilities (nervous tissue [in CNS] and cardiac mm)
Immune response is very specific but slower to react and more complicated to get a response.
Characteristics of Epithelial and Connective Tissue. Function of ET: simple squamous, simple columnar, simple cuboidal, stratified squamous, transitional Function of CT: adipose, areolar, dense, osseous, hyaline cartilage, elastic cartilage Function of Muscle Tissue: Skeletal, Cardiac, Smooth Description of Nervous Tissue; Function of NT; and Location of NT Tissue Repair: Inflammatory Response, Damaged Cells