Presentation on theme: "* A method to convert from one unit of measure to another, using conversion factors. * Example Problem: * How many centimeters are in 4.6 kilometers?"— Presentation transcript:
* A method to convert from one unit of measure to another, using conversion factors. * Example Problem: * How many centimeters are in 4.6 kilometers? Add anything in BLUE writing on the back of the foldable flap
* Write down what you know, with units! * What I know: * 4.6km * What I am looking for: * cm FRONT of Flap: Write down what you know, with units. STEP 1 BACK of Flap: What I know: 4.6 km What I am looking for: cm
* Set up a T-chart * 4.6km
* Fill in the units first, making sure that the given units cancel out. * 4.6kmm km
* Add your key conversion factor into your T- chart. * Multiply across the top, divide by the bottom **If necessary, continue steps 3 and 4 until you reach your desired answer. 4.6km1000 m 1 km But I’m looking for centimeters! (4.6*1000*100) (1*1) = 460,000cm 100 cm 1 m =
* 1cm = 10mm * 1m = 100cm * 1m = 1000mm * 1 km = 1000m *The base units (meters) can be changed to other units (grams, liters, etc).
1. Convert 13 cm to m. 2. Convert 1.7m to mm. 3. Convert 16 cm to mm. 4. Convert 1987 km to m. 5. Convert 98 m to cm 6. Convert mm to m. 7. Convert 189 mm to cm.