Presentation on theme: "The social networking site. * Facebook was created in 2003 by Mark Zuckerberg * He was in his sophomore year at Harvard University."— Presentation transcript:
The social networking site
* Facebook was created in 2003 by Mark Zuckerberg * He was in his sophomore year at Harvard University
* It was originally called facemash where the site was used to compare 2 pictures of women and to see which one was hotter. * He created facemash to get his crush off his mind. * Facemash was only for Harvard, but grew to colleges and high schools and was legible for 13 year olds.
* It was forward to the admins of Harvard and the immediately shut it down. * Zuckerberg was charged for breaching privacy. * Later Harvard dropped the charges against Zuckerberg.
* That next semester he changed facemash and created The Facebook in February * In 2005 he dropped “the” from the URL making it just Facebook
* In September 2005 he created a high school version and each high school had to be invited to be allowed to join the network * Later he allowed companies to have there own networks on Facebook
* A year later Facebook was opened up to anyone 13 and older.
* Unfortunately, Facebook is banned from some countries, and have been sued more than once * Facebook is also banned from use in offices * In 2007, Facebook changed their policy saying that anything uploaded was owned by their company
* Facebook has over 175 million users and even then the site keeps growing.