What are the benefits of a healthy catering list? Translates policy into every day practice Makes the process of ordering healthy catering easy Reduces stress of catering Opportunity to discuss healthy choices Creates understanding of your needs with caterers
What is involved in developing a Healthy Catering List? 1.Establish a working group 2.Identify current practices 3.Develop a healthy catering list with the working group 4.Consult with caterers 5.Promote and disseminate 6.Monitor and maintain
1. Establish a working group Minimal meetings required 2. Find out what has already been done?
3. Develop a healthy catering list Identify: Appropriate and inappropriate items Items that could be modified to fit the list Items that need to be classified with caterers
4. Consult with caterers How are items prepared? Can something be prepared differently?
5. Promote and disseminate Nominate key contact Identify avenues to disseminate to colleagues
6. Monitor and maintain Seek regular feedback Review process
Omelette with bacon tomato & cheese Egg & bacon muffin Mini croissant with ham, cheese & tomato Mini quiche Individual Greek yoghurt Individual Bircher museli Fruit skewer & yoghurt dips Fruit salad cup Fruit platters Omelette with bacon tomato & cheese Egg & bacon muffin Mini croissant with ham, cheese & tomato Mini quiche Individual Greek yoghurt Individual Bircher museli Fruit skewer & yoghurt dips Fruit salad cup Fruit platters Example of working through a menu
References HELPP 2013, ‘Healthy Food Choices in Local Government: A Guide to Healthy Catering,’ SA Health: Adelaide. Heart Foundation 2008, ‘A Healthier Serve: The Heart Foundation’s Guide to Healthier Catering,’ Heart Foundation Australia, available online