Presentation on theme: "Geohazard Landslide in NC"— Presentation transcript:
1Geohazard Landslide in NC Eric AngatTeacherLandslides are caused by the force of gravity pulling on the rocks.
21. In what part of North Carolina are landslides most frequent 1. In what part of North Carolina are landslides most frequent? ( N-E-S-W)Landslides are most common in the Western part of NC due to the slopes of the Appalachian Mountains.
32. What usually causes the landslides in Western North Carolina? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQIiywDQQGM
43. What is frost wedging? Frost wedging can result to landslide! Water expands by 9% when it freezes. The expansive force of frost break rocks into smaller fragments. This process is called frost wedging.Frost wedging can result to landslide!
5http://www. goalfinder Water expands by 9% when it freezes. This property enables it to break rocks
64. How does frost wedging work? The freezing and thawing of water results to the breaking of rocks through wedging.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XnCTcjNpuc
75. What are the fault lines that can result to an earthquake in North Carolina?New Madrid fault, stretching to 150 miles, crossing parts of Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri and TennesseeCharleston fault in South Carolina
8What are landslides?What determines the state of the flow of a landslide?What is a soil creep?How are potential landslides detected?What are the consequences of landslides?
9Landslide- downhill movement of rocks, soil, mud, and other debris. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrV4uCVwmfk
107. What determines the speed of the flow of a landslide? What are landslides?7. What determines the speed of the flow of a landslide?8. What is a soil creep?How are potential landslides detected?What are the consequences of landslides?Landslides are uncontrollable downhill flow of rocks, soil, mud, and other debris.It is determined by the types of materials ( rocks, soil, mud) and the angle of slope.A type of landslide or erosion that moves so slowly.Tilted utility post, bent trees, and cracks on walls and road.Delayed construction, obstructed roads, tsunami
11steep cliffs at the top of a slope Cracks on roads and walls.
12Split trunks and stretched roots Tree bark scrapped off. Tilted treesCurved treesSplit trunks and stretched rootsTree bark scrapped off.