Presentation on theme: "Smallwares Unit 3. Small Equipment Tools refer to hand-held items used for food preparation. Equipment refers to appliances such as a refrigerator, mixer."— Presentation transcript:
Smallwares Unit 3
Small Equipment Tools refer to hand-held items used for food preparation. Equipment refers to appliances such as a refrigerator, mixer and range.
Factors influencing tools and equipment: Durability Price Ability to conduct or transfer heat Ease of cleaning Gauge (thickness) of metal
Small Equipment Know the difference between these items! Colander Strainer
Small Equipment Know the difference between these items! Saucepan Fry Pan Sauté Pan
Small Equipment Know the difference between these items! Liquid Measuring Cups Dry Measuring Cups Measuring Spoons
Small Equipment Know the difference between these items! Ladle Wooden Spoon
Small Equipment Know the difference between these items! Slotted Perforated Solid
Small Equipment Know the difference between these items! Rubber Spatula Offset Spatula Straight Spatula
Small Equipment Muffin Pan Sheet Pan Tart PanPie Pan Know the difference between these items!
Small Equipment Know these items! Whisk Rolling Pin Box Grater Vegetable Peeler
Small Equipment Know these items! Cutting BoardMixing Bowls
Small Equipment Know the difference between these items! Scales Portion Electronic Balance
SMALLWARES 10.2 SMALLWARES 1. Hand tools, pots, and pans are called _________. 2. Hand held items used for food preparation are called ________. 3. The majority of hand tools are made of stainless steel, ______ or plastic. 4. Factors that determine which material is used include________, _________, ______ and _______. 5. A ________ is used to shave the skin off fruits and vegetables. 6. A tomato corer is used to core and remove _____ of tomatoes. 7. Kitchen shears are used to tackle a variety of ______chores.
8. Cutting boards can be made of wood, ________or glass/ceramic. 9. Cutting boards are colored coded; ______ is for poultry, ____ is for raw meat, _____ is for fish, ______ is for dairy and ______ is for cooked meat. 10. A _______ is used to remove tiny strips from the outer surface of citrus and is used to add visual interest and flavor to foods. 11. A melon baler with a scoop at each end, one larger than the other, is called a ________ scoop. 12. Balloon whisks are light and bouncy and are used for ______________ or light batters. 13. Rigid whisks are longer and thicker and are used for _______ sauces and batters.
14. Slotted or perforated spoons are used to ______ foods from the liquid in which food cooks. 15. A ______spatula is used to scrape food from inside bowls and pans, or fold in whipped cream or egg whites. 16. An off set spatula is used to _____ foods. 17. A ________ is used to lift and turn large cuts of meat, or hold heavily pieces of food while being cut. 18. A _______is used to remove food from stocks and soups. 19. _______ are used to pick up items such as meats, vegetables or ice cubes. 20. ________are used to drain pasta, vegetables and stocks after cooking.
21. A _______ is a cone-shaped metal strainer used for straining tocks and sauces. 22. A ______is a large, perforated bowl used to rapidly drain water from cooked foods. 23. A _______is a bowl-like container used to strain food. 24. A ________is used to pour liquid from a large container into a small container. 25. A bench scraper is used to scrape surfaces and cut _______into equal pieces. 26. Measurements are needed for item’s ______or ________ 27. _________ includes pots, pans and baking dishes.
28. There are three types of scales: ________(spring scale used to determine the weight of an ingredient), ________(weighs items), or ________(used to measure most baking ingredients). 29. A _______is used to portion liquids such as sauces and soups. 30 A ________ is used to cook large quantities of liquid. 31. The saucepot is used for _______cooking. 32. The saucepan is used for heating and _______ food in liquid. 33. ______pans are used to fry foods.
34. A _____ is used for stir frying. 35. How effectively heat transfers from one object to another, is called _________. 36. A common metal used for commercial cookware is ________ because it is lightweight, inexpensive and rust-free. 37. Stainless steel is popular because it is________, but often is lined with aluminum or copper at the bottom because ________________.