Presentation on theme: "MK20 Space for Dialogue. Mk flows throw 6 countries. It is 43,000 km long It has rich natural resources and ecosystem – # species of fish – # species."— Presentation transcript:
MK20 Space for Dialogue
Mk flows throw 6 countries. It is 43,000 km long It has rich natural resources and ecosystem – # species of fish – # species of reptile Over 90 m people depend on it – Water for domestic consumption – Navigation – Irrigation – Its fish, eco-services, NTFP
Mk also has huge potential for hydropower with potential of ## MW. – Governments see it as source of cheap and clean energy – Surge to build dams. ## have been built. WLE\Dams-Mekong-Basin.pdf Sesan 2\3S_dams_2012.jpg
– In Cambodia, # dams have been built. There has been strong resistance from national and international NGOs, and locals – Dams impacts on social relation – economic – Environment
This leads to tension/conflict between development and conservation and the small local people are caught in between.
Often, One side accuses the other – gov see NGO as anti-dev local as needing modernization – NGO see Gov as destroying environment disrupting local lives and ecosystem – Locals suffer
There is often call for good gov of MK. But what is good gov of Mk? – International standard ? – Does anyone ever care what it mean for Cambodia? – What do Cambodians think good gov of MK is? – Is government the only legitimate decision maker?
This project has three aims – Local df of good gov of MKS – Build capacity for deliberation – Promote engagement and negotiation
– Local df of good gov of MKS Meet with actors in key sectors – Hydropower companies – Ministries: water resources, industry, energy, planning, finance – Rice, fishery, development – Conservation NGO Meet with actors at different level – National planners – Provincial authorities – Local authorities, local communities To understand how gov is defined from their perspective.
– Build capacity for deliberation Share knowledge on different perspectives, interests Training on negotiation skills – Leadership – Communication – negotiation
Promote engagement and negotiation Face to face meetings Facilitate stakeholder meeting conference
The project main activities – Research Notion of good governance Discourse and reality of gender in MK gov Mapping MK gov: reconciling interest, institution and conflict Eco-system service in policy and practice The challenge of MSP
– Capacity building Community training on negotiation Women network and training Support one MA student, looking at process and challenges of community participation in Cambodia
– Dissemination and knowledge sharing Work with key players in MK gov Bridge differences in perspective Facilitate constructive dialogue
Project – Funded by WLE – Implemented by CDRI NUS NGO Forum Uni Gothenburg – Duration 3 years Start Jan 2015 End Dec 2017