2Break the Ice p.4 Task I Listen to the audio and fill in the form.p.4DougHistory+WARM UP
3Break the IceAudio Transcripts:My name is Doug Nestor, and I’m a quiet person. If I’m not in class, I’m listening to music. In fact, I have the radio on even when I sleep. In my leisure time, I enjoy watching TV and spending time with my girlfriend. She often comes to see me. I hope my roommate helps to keep the room tidy. I like to stay up late. Sometimes, I sleep until noon, but I usually go out to study. I’m a history major, and it would be nice to have a roommate from the same department. That way, we would be able to work together. Finally, I don’t smoke. I think people should go outside to smoke. If you want to get in touch with me, text me at+WARM UP
4someone who goes to sleep late 2. to stop sleeping 3. Break the IceTask IIUse the words from Task I to fill in the chart.p.2Word / PhraseDefinition / Synonym1.night owlsomeone who goes to sleep late2.to stop sleeping3.likes to keep things tidy4.whom you share a room with5.to not go to bed6.last name, family name7.when you like one thing more than another8.someone’s characterwake upneatroommatestay upsurname+WARM UPpreferencepersonality
5Expand Your Vocabulary Class InterviewFind a classmate who answers yes. Write down their name and the adjective that describes them.entertainingtalkativeanxiousthoughtfulcreativeknowledgeableresponsibleuntidypleasantcalmflexibleenergeticDo you…ClassmateAdjective1. speak a lot?2. often think of others?3. have other people’s trust?4. rarely get tired?5. know a lot of things?6. have a dirty room?talkativethoughtfulresponsibleenergetic+WARM UPknowledgeableuntidy
6Expand Your Vocabulary Class InterviewFind a classmate who answers yes. Write down their name and the adjective that describes them.entertainingtalkativeanxiousthoughtfulcreativeknowledgeableresponsibleuntidypleasantcalmflexibleenergeticAre you…ClassmateAdjective1. a fun person?2. easily worried?3. nice and friendly?4. open to different things?5. full of new ideas?6. relaxed most of the time?entertaininganxiouspleasantflexiblecreativecalm
7Expand Your Vocabulary B. Listen UpWhat are the speaker and his brother Todd like? Listen and check the appropriate space.DescriptionSpeakerTodd1.He doesn’t talk much.2.He gets anxious sometimes.3.He doesn’t work hard at school.4.He is a creative person.5.He is entertaining.6.He has knowledge about many things.+WARM UP
8Expand Your Vocabulary Audio Transcripts:My brother Todd and I are extremely different. Todd isn’t shy at all, and he really believes in himself. I get nervous more easily. I’m also a much more hardworking student than Todd is. He doesn’t care about school. Another difference is that I’m not good at things like art and music. Todd, on the other hand, plays the drums in a band and often composes his own songs. People enjoy being around him, and he has many friends. Everybody likes his stories and jokes. I am a little less talkative, but I’m also an interesting person. I know a lot of things about different topics. We have different personalities, but we are very close.+WARM UP
9Expand Your Vocabulary C. Language TipSometimes we use compound nouns to describe people. Match the type of person with the quality.works well with othersworks hard to succeedis kind to otherstries to impress people too muchgo-gettersweetheartteam playershow-off
11Match the word in bold with its antonym. Dialogue ZoneA. AntonymsMatch the word in bold with its antonym.p.12p.13p.14p.15+WARM UP
12Dialogue ZoneA. AntonymsUse the words in bold (p. 11) to fill in the blanks.p.111. Kathy gets ___________ when she has to give a speech in front of her classmates.2. It was ___________ of Emily to remember to buy me a birthday present.anxiousthoughtful
133. That is a very ___________ movie. I fell asleep watching it. Dialogue ZoneA. AntonymsUse the words in bold (p. 11) to fill in the blanks.p.113. That is a very ___________ movie. I fell asleep watching it.4. You need to be more ___________. It doesn’t hurt to make changes.boringflexible
145. Jimmy is a(n) ___________ person to be around. He’s so friendly. Dialogue ZoneA. AntonymsUse the words in bold (p. 11) to fill in the blanks.p.115. Jimmy is a(n) ___________ person to be around. He’s so friendly.6. Your room looks pretty ___________. Do you clean it every day?pleasantneat
158. Sally is so ___________. She spends a lot of time on her phone. Dialogue ZoneA. AntonymsUse the words in bold (p. 11) to fill in the blanks.p.117. Dave is ___________. He never loses things.8. Sally is so ___________. She spends a lot of time on her phone.responsibletalkative
162. I can’t stand living with untidy roommates. Dialogue ZoneB. Meanings In ContextChoose the meaning of the sentence in the conversation.What are you up to?a. What are you doing?b. What do you want?2. I can’t stand living with untidy roommates.a. I don’t need to live with friendly people.b. I don’t like to live with messy people.
173. Let me know how things go! a. Tell me what happens. Dialogue ZoneB. Meanings In ContextChoose the meaning of the sentence in the conversation.3. Let me know how things go!a. Tell me what happens.b. Tell me where you’re going.4. Take care.a. Help me.b. See you later.
18 T F U Doug is about to move. Dialogue ZoneC. True, False, or UnknownCheck T if the statement is true, F if it’s false, or U if it’s unknown.T F U Doug is about to move.2. T F U Having a dependable roommate is important to James.+WARM UP
19 3. T F U Doug is probably a messy person. Dialogue ZoneC. True, False, or UnknownCheck T if the statement is true, F if it’s false, or U if it’s unknown.3. T F U Doug is probably a messyperson.4. T F U James doesn’t like to make friends with people.
20 5. T F U Doug has to live with a quiet person. Dialogue ZoneC. True, False, or UnknownCheck T if the statement is true, F if it’s false, or U if it’s unknown.5. T F U Doug has to live with a quiet person.6. T F U James doesn’t need to be good friends with his roommate.
21 Expression Practice A. Check the Correct Answers Listen to the audio. Check the appropriate statements about each speaker.+WARM UP
22Expression PracticeAudio Transcripts:Speaker 1: EvanI’m an easygoing guy, so I would like to meet an easygoing girl. If she is friendly and relaxed, chances are that I’ll get along with her. I like sweet, thoughtful girls. Really, I just want to find an understanding and friendly person. If I have that, then I’ll be content. But, there is one thing — I am neat and tidy. I don’t want a messy girlfriend. She should always clean up after herself. In fact, I can’t stand untidy people because I think they’re really selfish. Honestly though, I’m pretty flexible, except for that. I just want a good listener, but she also has to be neat.
23 Expression Practice A. Check the Correct Answers Listen to the audio. Check the appropriate statements about each speaker.
24Audio Transcripts: Speaker 2: Sherry Expression PracticeAudio Transcripts:Speaker 2: SherryI don’t want a boring or lazy boyfriend. I would rather have someone active and exciting. I am very energetic, and my boyfriend would have to be energetic as well. I like hiking, swimming, and being outdoors. If a guy has never tried these things before, that’s OK. I just hope that he can be open-minded and adventurous. It’s always good to try new things. Of course, it’s also important that a guy is smart and honest. I am pretty talkative, so I would prefer an outgoing guy. He should share the same interests as me or at least be willing to try something new. That’s the kind of guy that I want.+WARM UP
25Jim has pain in his __________. Expression PracticeB. Fill in the BlanksListen to the dialogues. Complete the sentences with the words you hear. Some blanks may have more than one word.Jim has pain in his __________.It __________ when Jim ate potato chips because they were not __________ enough.toothhurtsoft+WARM UP
26Audio Transcripts: Dialogue 1: Expression PracticeAudio Transcripts:Dialogue 1:Rita: Hey, Jim. What’s wrong? You look like you’re in a lot of pain.Jim: My tooth has hurt for three days.Rita: I feel sorry for you. Is it serious?Jim: Well, I can’t eat anything unless it’s soft. Yesterday, I tried to eat some potato chips, and it really hurt. It’s too bad because potato chips are my favorite snack.Rita: Have you been to see a dentist?Jim: Not yet. It’s the weekend, and most of the dentist offices are full. I made an appointment, but it’s not until next week.Rita: I hope you feel better. Don’t eat any potato chips!Jim: I’ll try. See you later.Rita: Bye.
27Expression PracticeB. Fill in the BlanksListen to the dialogues. Complete the sentences with the words you hear. Some blanks may have more than one word.3. The woman smelled something __________ and saw __________, so she stopped her car.4. There is also a problem with the woman’s __________. She couldn’t call for __________.strangesmokecell phonehelp
28Audio Transcripts: Dialogue 2: Expression PracticeAudio Transcripts:Dialogue 2:Police Officer: Hello. What seems to be the issue? Are you having trouble with your car?Woman: Yes. I was driving, and then I smelled something strange. Amoment after that, I saw smoke!Police Officer: That’s terrible. Then what happened?Woman: Well, I knew that something was wrong with my car, so Istopped.Police Officer: Have you called anyone for help?Woman: I tried, but my cell phone is not working.Police Officer: That’s alright. I will call someone to pick you up and have a look at your car.Woman: Thank you so much. I hope it’s nothing expensive!+WARM UP
295. The baby usually cries when he feels __________ or __________. Expression PracticeB. Fill in the BlanksListen to the dialogues. Complete the sentences with the words you hear. Some blanks may have more than one word.5. The baby usually cries when he feels __________ or __________.6. The place is so __________ that the baby can’t fall asleep.tiredhungryloud
30Audio Transcripts: Dialogue 3: Expression PracticeAudio Transcripts:Dialogue 3:Man: What’s the matter with your son? He seems so upset.Woman: I know. He won’t stop crying! I’m so sorry that he’s bothering you.Man: It’s OK. I have kids too. So, what’s the problem? Do you thinkhe’s tired?Woman: Yes, I think so. When he starts crying, it usually means that he’s tired or hungry. But it’s so loud here. I don’t think he can sleep.Man: Well, I’ll try to be quiet so your son can rest. Maybe then he willbe in a better mood.Woman: Thank you. I really appreciate your help and sorry again for the noise.+WARM UP
31Jacob will sneeze and cough the whole time. Expression PracticeC. Complete the ChartDavid and Jacob are going on vacation. Does Jacob agree with David? Check the boxes and write the reasons for any disagreements.David’s OpinionAgreeDisagreeReason1.A cold spot is perfect.2.Somewhere hot would be nice.3.Going camping doesn’t sound great.4.Bali is too crowded.5.Guam sounds good.Jacob will sneeze and cough the whole time.
32Audio Transcripts: Expression Practice David: I’m so excited about our holiday!Jacob: Me too! I can’t wait! Where do you think we should go for our trip?David: I’m not really sure. I’d like to go some place really cold.Jacob: I totally disagree with you. I’ll sneeze and cough the whole time. I justwant to go somewhere and relax.David: So do I. OK then. How about somewhere hot? I like hot weather.Jacob: I like it too. Maybe we should go camping in the mountains. I bet thatwould be great.David: No way. If we go camping, I’ll be dirty the whole time.Jacob: Hmm You’re right. How about Bali?David: I don’t think so. This time of year, Bali will be really crowded.Jacob: That’s for sure. Alright. Are you interested in Thailand? It should be prettycheap.David: That’s not true. It’s expensive right now. What do you think about Guam?Jacob: Yeah! Guam. I totally agree with you.+WARM UP
331. A: Why do you have your car keys? Grammar PracticeA. Fill in the BlanksUse will or be going to and the verbs in parentheses to complete the sentences.1. A: Why do you have your car keys?B: I ________________ (drive) to the store.2. A: We are running out of milk.B: I ________________ (buy) some when I’m outtoday.am going to drivewill buy /am going to buy+WARM UP
343. Next month our company ________________ (move) to a new location. Grammar PracticeA. Fill in the BlanksUse will or be going to and the verbs in parentheses to complete the sentences.will move /is going to move3. Next month our company ________________ (move) to a new location.4. If I have time, I ________________ (visit) my brother this week.will visit /am going to visit
355. I ________________ (have) dinner with my wife tonight. Grammar PracticeA. Fill in the BlanksUse will or be going to and the verbs in parentheses to complete the sentences.will have /am going to have5. I ________________ (have) dinner with my wife tonight.6. A: Excuse me, I want to speak with someone aboutour hotel room. It’s dirty. B: That man at the front desk ________________(help) you.will help
36Bill He is / They are going to… go to Asia. quit his job. get married. Grammar PracticeB. Listen and CheckFour people win the lottery. Listen to their plans. Circle a, b, or c.BillHe is / Theyare going to…go to Asia.quit his job.get married.are NOTgoing to…travel.go with his wife.start a business.+WARM UP
37Audio Transcripts: Dialogue 1: Expression PracticeAudio Transcripts:Dialogue 1:Host: Congratulations on winning the lottery, Bill. What are you going to donow?Bill: I haven’t made any plans yet. First, I’m going to have to think about it.Host: Well, what do you think you’ll do?Bill: I’ll travel around the world. I’m visiting Asia first. After that, I’ll go to Africa. I’ll just make the decisions while I’m traveling.Host: Are you going to travel by yourself?Bill: Of course not! I’ll be going with my wife.Host: No matter what you do, I’m sure that you’ll have a good time.Bill: Thanks. And who knows? Maybe some day you’ll win the lottery!Host: I hope so. I’m going to buy some new tickets tonight. Wish me luck!Bill: I will.+WARM UP
38Adam and Brian He is / They are going to… go on vacation. Grammar PracticeB. Listen and CheckFour people win the lottery. Listen to their plans. Circle a, b, or c.Adam and BrianHe is / Theyare going to…go on vacation.open a restaurant.get a new car.are NOTgoing to…visit Africa.celebrate.relax.
39Audio Transcripts: Dialogue 2: Expression PracticeAudio Transcripts:Dialogue 2:Adam: We won all of this money! I can’t believe it. What are we going to dowith it?Brian: I’m not sure. This week, I think we’ll celebrate, right?Adam: That’s a great idea. But what are we going to do after that?Brian: We should start a business. We’ll have fun if we do that, don’t youthink?Adam: We definitely will! But what kind of business are we opening?Brian: How about a restaurant?Adam: A restaurant will require a lot of work. I don’t want to work anymore.I’m relaxing for the rest of my life!Brian: But I really want to try it. Will you help me?Adam: Well, why not? Alright. We’re going to open a restaurant.
40Tom travel abroad. He is / They buy a home. are going to… Grammar PracticeB. Listen and CheckFour people win the lottery. Listen to their plans. Circle a, b, or c.TomHe is / Theyare going to…travel abroad.buy a home.go back to school.are NOTgoing to…throw a party.retire next week.meet his friends.
41Audio Transcripts: Expression Practice Dialogue 3: Agent: I know you, Mr. Wilson. You won the lottery!Tom: That’s right. Just call me Tom.Agent: So, now you’re going to buy a house?Tom: Yes. Will you be able to help me?Agent: No problem. We have a lot of houses available. I’m sure we’ll find one that you like.Tom: Great. I think I’m going to enjoy looking for a house.Agent: Of course you’re going to. Would you like to start looking tonight?Tom: Sorry, but tonight I’m having dinner with my friends. We’re going tocelebrate!Agent: When can we start?Tom: I’ll be ready next week. How about Monday?Agent: That will be fine for me.Tom: OK. See you Monday.+WARM UP
426. _______________ (not sleep) at all last night. Grammar PracticeC. Review of Past, Present, and FutureFill in the blanks with the proper verb forms.Dear Editor,I 1. _______________ (worry) about global warming all the time. Most people don’t seem to care, but I think it’s a very serious problem. It 2. _______________ (get) worse. Yesterday, I 3. _______________ (hear) some bad news. The planet 4. _______________ (become) even hotter next year! That 5. _______________ (scare) me. I6. _______________ (not sleep) at all last night.worryis going to get /is getting / will getheardis going to become /will become+WARM UPscaresdidn’t sleep
43Grammar PracticeC. Review of Past, Present, and FutureFill in the blanks with the proper verb forms.will do /are going to doHopefully, governments 7. _______________ (do) something about this problem. Next week, they8. _______________ (have) a big conference about it. Maybe they 9. _______________ (solve) the problem. If they keep avoiding this issue, pollution 10. _______________ (become) much worse. I hope that they11. _______________ (work) together to make things better!Sincerely,Bettywill have /are going to have /are havingwill solvewill become /is going to becomewill work /are going to work
44ReadingHealth Is in Your MindWhat do you like to eat? How often do you work out? You can probably answer these questions, but do you know the reasons for your answers? Everything is related to your personality. Our personality type determines how we think, talk, and live.+WARM UPp.49p.51
45ReadingHealth Is in Your MindYour personality, for example, can affect your eating habits. Chocolate lovers are emotional. They love sweet food, like candy and ice cream. Carbohydrate eaters want bread and pasta when they are under stress.p.49p.51
46ReadingHealth Is in Your MindPersonality can also influence how you exercise. If you’re a relaxed person, group workouts (like a cycling class) may suit you. If you’re hardworking and serious, you should exercise with a fit person.This is why knowing your personality type is useful. Understanding your personality helps you make changes and improve your life.p.50
47ReadingHealth Is in Your MindThere are lots of personality types. Extroverts enjoy talking and working with others. Introverts are the opposite. They are more private and prefer to work alone. A thinking person uses facts to make decisions. A feeling person comes to decisions through emotion. Doctors are learning more about personality types all the time.p.51
48ReadingHealth Is in Your MindIf you’re interested in learning about your real personality, go online and find out. You might learn some amazing things about yourself.p.50
491. character: ______________ (paragraph 1) ReadingA. SynonymsWrite the word / phrase from the article next to its matching synonym.1. character: ______________ (paragraph 1)2. influence: ______________ (paragraph 2)3. decide: ______________ (paragraph 1)personalityp.44affectp.45+WARM UPdeterminep.44
504. diligent: ______________ (paragraph 3) ReadingA. SynonymsWrite the word / phrase from the article next to its matching synonym.4. diligent: ______________ (paragraph 3)5. helpful: ______________ (paragraph 4)6. great: ______________ (paragraph 6)hardworkingp.46usefulp.46amazingp.48
517. pressure: ______________ (paragraph 2) ReadingA. SynonymsWrite the word / phrase from the article next to its matching synonym.7. pressure: ______________ (paragraph 2)8. exercise: ______________ (paragraph 1)9. always: ______________ (paragraph 5)stressp.45work outp.44all the timep.47
52relate emotional relaxed suit serious fit opposite private ReadingB. Word DefinitionsUse the clues to fill in the blanks with the word choices given. Change the word form if necessary.relate emotional relaxed suitserious fit opposite private1. Jack is a very __________ person. He never feelsstressed. (calm)2. My brother lifts weights three times a week. That’swhy he’s so __________. (strong and healthy)relaxed+WARM UPfit
53relate emotional relaxed suit serious fit opposite private ReadingB. Word DefinitionsUse the clues to fill in the blanks with the word choices given. Change the word form if necessary.relate emotional relaxed suitserious fit opposite private3. Darren loves kids, so teaching __________ him.(match)4. Fred’s health is __________ to his happiness.(connect)suitsrelated
54relate emotional relaxed suit serious fit opposite private ReadingB. Word DefinitionsUse the clues to fill in the blanks with the word choices given. Change the word form if necessary.relate emotional relaxed suitserious fit opposite private5. Charlie is a(n) __________ guy. He doesn’t talk muchabout his personal life. (likes being alone)6. You’re too __________. Try to laugh a little more!(rarely smiles)privateserious
55relate emotional relaxed suit serious fit opposite private ReadingB. Word DefinitionsUse the clues to fill in the blanks with the word choices given. Change the word form if necessary.relate emotional relaxed suitserious fit opposite private7. Cindy can be __________ sometimes. She will probably cry if she watches that movie. (feels things strongly)8. Black is the __________ of white. (as different as possible)emotionalopposite
561. Which of the following statements is true? ReadingC. Multiple ChoiceCircle the answers.1. Which of the following statements is true?a. Chocolate lovers should never exercise.b. Introverts hate other people.c. Your personality affects the way you eat.d. Doctors already know everything about ourpersonality.
572. What does the writer NOT agree with? ReadingC. Multiple ChoiceCircle the answers.2. What does the writer NOT agree with?a. Easy exercises suit serious people.b. Knowing your personality improves your life.c. Relaxed people should exercise in groups.d. People should learn about their personality.
583. The writer asks you to go online to learn more about . . . ReadingC. Multiple ChoiceCircle the answers.3. The writer asks you to go online to learn moreabout . . .a. exercise.b. dieting.c. carbohydrates and chocolate.d. who you are.
594. What is another appropriate title for the article? ReadingC. Multiple ChoiceCircle the answers.4. What is another appropriate title for the article?a. Candy, Carbs, and Chocolateb. Personality and Healthc. How to Be Friends with Everyoned. Introverts and Extroverts