Presentation on theme: "Self Check & Reading Period 5. Review ! make sb. / sth. + adj. For example: Loud music makes me tense. Loud music makes me want to dance. That movie made."— Presentation transcript:
Review ! make sb. / sth. + adj. For example: Loud music makes me tense. Loud music makes me want to dance. That movie made me sad.
1. I need a new jacket. This one doesn’t __________ the cold. 2. Customers say the food at the restaurant _______ terrible. 3.When prices are ______, you can go to the store with the lowest price. 1.Fill in the blanks. keep out tastes listed
4.Working hard at English can ______ to a good job. 5.Wait before you buy that watch. Let’s _________ prices in another store. lead compare
2. Read the diary While reading keep your eyes on the structures and expressions. You know how important structures and expressions are for learning English.
Dear Diary, 28, June I thought today was going to be really bad. To start with, it was raining, and rainy days make me sad. And it was my birthday, but when I got up, no one was at home, and Mom and Dad hadn’t left me a note. I walked to school with my best friend, Gu. She didn’t say anything either. This made me a little angry. After all, I remembered her birthday last month. In class, the teacher asked me for my homework, but as I was so tense when I left home, I had forgotten to bring it with me. That made me annoyed with myself. But things got better. Gu invited me for lunch. I was so surprised. Mom and Dad and all my friends were there. I had a wonderful surprise birthday lunch. That made me VERY happy.
Finish the chart! early morning lunch time sad late morning noon a little angry annoyedsurprised
Language points 1. Mon and Dad hadn't left me a note. 妈妈和爸爸也没有给我留个便条。 hadn’t left, 这是过去完成时, 过去完成时的动作必须 是在过去时间以前完成, 基本结构为 had + 动词的过去 分词。 e.g. I had finished my homework before supper. 我在晚饭前把作业做完了。 supper 是过去某一时间, had finished 这一过去完 成时就是在 supper 之前完成的。
2. In class, the teacher asked me for my homework. 在课上, 老师问我要家庭作业。 ask sb. for sth. “ 向某人要某物 ”, ask for 则表示 “ 请求, 通过询问寻找 ” 。 e.g. How much did they ask for this book? 这本书他们要多少钱？ The stranger asked the old man for his address. 那陌生人问老人要家庭住址。 He came to ask for help. 他来求助。 Did anyone ask for me? 有人找过我吗？
3. but as I was so tense when I left home, I had forgotten to bring it with me. 但是由于我离开家时太紧张了, 我已忘记了带着来。 (1) as 连词, 因为 e.g. As she has no car, she can’t get there easily. 因为她没有汽车, 去那里很不容易。 as 连词, 当 …… 的时候 As he grew older he lost interest in everything except gardening. 他年纪越来越大, 除了喜欢园艺外, 对一切都 失去了兴趣。
(2) forget to do 忘记做 … e.g. Yesterday when I left home, I forgot to lock the door. 昨天我离开家时, 忘记锁门了。 forget doing 忘记了已经做过的事情。 e.g. I’ll never forget finding that rare old coin in my garden. 我永远不会忘记在我花园里找到的那枚稀罕的 古币。
(3) bring 把某物带给说话人。 e.g. Bring that book to me. 把那本书拿来。 take 把某物带到另一地方去 e.g. Take your umbrella when you go out. 你出去时把伞带上。 fetch 去取某物并带来 e.g. Please fetch the scissors from the kitchen. 请到厨房把剪刀拿来。 carry 不含任何方向, 是指用手或身体的某个部位 携带。 e.g. She carried the bag on her back. 她把包背在背上。
( ) 1. The rainy day _______ me sad and angry. A. make B. makes C. making D. to make ( ) 2. The movie made _______ feel energetic. A. he B. his C. they D. them ( ) 3. Loud music always makes us ______. A. want dance B. to want dance C. want to dance D. to want to dance Choose the best answer. B D C
( ) 4. Excuse me, could you help me? I don’t know ______ exchange money. A. how to B. how C. how canD. how can I ( ) 5. ______ his new sunglasses _______ Tony look mysterious. A. Wears…make B. Wears …makes C. Wearing…make D. Wearing…makes ( ) 6. As students, we are supposed to spend more time ______. A. study B. studied C. studying D. to study C A D
Reading Receiving money makes me uncomfortable make sb. / sth. + adj.
1a. Write how you would feel if you received the following gifts. 1. Before You Read 1. If my best friend gave me a history book, I would feel_______.
2. If my grandmother gave me some home- made cookies, I would feel_______. 3. Receiving a new schoolbag would make me feel_____.
Receiving money makes me uncomfortable. Many books have been written about “the art of giving”. But what about the art of receiving? Sometimes, receiving a gift can be difficult1.______“I remember when I was about twelve years old, my parents bought me a purple purse,” laughs Guo Xiaojing. “It really made me feel embarrassed, because to be honest, I thought the purse was really ugly ！ Still, I pretended that I liked it because I knew it would make my parents happy ！ ” Han Ling agrees. “That sounds like my grandparents ！ A few years ago, my grandparents gave me an orange sweater for my birthday. I used to wear it every time I visited them, but when I left their house, I took it off ！ Of course, this made me feel guilty. It was a very nice thought, but my grandparents have different tastes from me ！ 2. ___________” E C
To make things easier, some people would rather just give money. In some cultures, however, receiving money can make people uncomfortable. “3.________” says John Wilson. “In England, we have a saying: It’s the thought that counts. When someone gives me money, I feel they don’t think at all. I prefer to receive a gift that has some thought behind it. I don’t mind if it’s something I don’t need. If someone has thought about a gift for me, it always makes me happy.”4. _________So maybe the art of receiving is even more difficult than the art of giving ！ What do you think? A D
A. When someone gives me money, it just makes me think they’re being lazy. B. Everyone thinks money means everything to you C. I think it’s hard to buy clothes or other personal things for people. D. Different people have very different thoughts on this subject! E. especially when someone buys you a gift you don’t want!
2. While You Read Task 2:Read the passage and answer the questions. No, it can not. 1. Can receiving a gift be easy sometimes?
2. How did Guo Xiao Ming feel when he got a purple purse? He felt embarrassed. He thinks it’s hard to buy clothes or other personal things for people. 3. What does Han Ling think about giving a gift?
4. Why do some people like to give money? 5. What’s the Chinese meaning of “It’s the thought that counts”? Because they want to make things easier. 情意胜过一切。 6. What’s the main idea of the text? Different people have different thoughts about the art of receiving gifts.
3a. Finish the sentences according to the reading. 1.Receiving money might make _____________________. 2. We might pretend to like a gift because __________________________________________. people uncomfortable it would make the people who gives gifts happy After You Read
3. After You Read 3a. Finish the sentences according to the reading. 1.Receiving money might make _____________________. 2. We might pretend to like a gift because __________________________________________. people uncomfortable it would make the people who gives gifts happy
3. Han Ling wore the sweater __________________. 4. It’s important to make people feel that ____________________________________. 5. It’s sometimes easier to _______________. but very unhappy different people have different taste just give money
1.Discuss how you think the person would feel about each suggestion. Then write down the gifts that your group decides is best for Tina and Peter. NameReason for giftSuggestionsBest gift TinaShe is moving to another country. traditional products PeterIt’s his birthday.books 4. Go for it !
2. Make notes about a gift that you have received. 1.What was the gift, who gave it to you and why? 2. How did you feel when you opened it, and do you Think the person who gave it thought carefully about it?
Language points I pretended that I liked it … pretend v. 假装 pretend that / to do e.g. She pretended she didn't know me/pretended not to know me when we met in the street. 我在街上见到她时她装作不认识我。
1. 一些广告能帮你比较两种不同的产品，以便你能 买到你真正需要的。 Some ads can help you_____ ___________two different products_______ _______ you can buy the______ you really need ． 2. 在中国过年时，通常给孩子压岁钱。 Money is_______ to children during the Chinese New Year ． 3. 学好英语是件不易的事。 __________ ________well is not _____ easy work. 根据汉语完成句子 to compare so that one given Learning English an
4. 在中国飞机总是准点到达。 In China, the planes always _______ _____ time. 5. 他通常是周五晚上在电影院会见他的女友。 He usually ______ his girlfriend ____ the cinema _____ Friday nights. 6. 足球确实令人感兴趣，全世界的人都对足球感兴趣。 Football is really __________. People all over the world are __________ in it ． arrive on meets on in interested interesting
Homework Choose an adjective from the reading that expresses a feeling. To “make the word your own”, write about a time when you felt this way.