YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT TEST TAKING AND CHEATING 1. How often do you review your lessons? I review my lessons __________________. A. regularly B. when I feel like reviewing C. seldom D. only when there is a test 2. Before a major test you usually feel ___________. A. at ease B. excited C. worried D. nervous
3. During a test, when you have difficulty answering a question, _____ A. you keep on trying on your own. B. you give it up after having a try. C. you wish you could get help from your classmates. D. you manage to obtain some help anyhow.
4.When your classmates ask for help during a test, ______ A. you always give a flat refusal. B. you often pretend not to have noticed it. C. you are always ready to help any one of them. D. you have no idea how to handle the situation because you have not had such experience.
5. Do you ever cheat on exams ? A. Never B. Many times C. Seldom D. Only once 6. You think that cheating on exams is _______. A. dishonest B. tolerable C. unavoidable D. objectionable in principle
Tips for the reasons for cheating: — exams are unreasonably difficult — those who cheat want very much to get better grades — they are afraid to fail — lazy to study — under pressure of home environment or even peers
Some ways of cheating: — Small gadgets, calculators, or palm pilots organizers that can hold store notes. — Cellular phones and pagers that can send messages. — Writing the answers on clothing or hands, and even on the shoes. — Asking another student who had the class before what was on the test.
— Writing the answers with a pen with no ink, but when held up against the light, the answers are visible. — Having a piece of paper hanging out of the book bag with the answers hidden in a story.
Ways to detect cheating: — to regulate what is and what is not allowed during examinations — to give essay tests, in which students can not look at A B C D answers — to make up different tests — let students know the consequences if they are caught
Part 1 (Para.1-2) Raise a problem: Students can _____ their term papers from the ______. fake Internet
Part 2 (Para.3-7) Some _______ to support the author’s opinion. examples
Part3 (Para.8-16) Cheating has become a problem for both _______ and ________. studentsteachers
A Common Problem A Common Problem They are well aware of the resources, and greatly tempted to cheat. They have to figure out whether a student’s author- ship is authentic. It’s a question of honesty. Try to make cheat- proof assignments. Part 3 For students: For teachers: Solution :
1. For generations of students, writing term papers has been a major source of nerves and frustration, if not the ultimate homework nightmare. But for those with Internet access, illicit resources are just a few links away. (L1) Paraphrase Term paper writing has troubled and worried generations of students, if it has not been something most frightening and terrible to them. But students who can go on line can get a easy help of the resources on the Internet that are not allowed. Translation 学期论文即使不是最可怕的作业，也至少一直是 让他们头疼和沮丧的主要原因。但是对于那些可 以上网的人来说，借助几次链接就可以窃取到相 关的资料。
2.... and some people worry that the Internet, once hailed as the ultimate learning tool, could become the best aid yet for cheating. (L22) Paraphrase … some people worry that if the Internet were recognized as the final learning tool, it could become the best helper to students for cheating. Translation 于是有人担心，因特网一旦成为广受欢迎的最佳 学习工具，也可能会变成作弊的最佳辅助手段。
Paraphrase Students who tend towards cheating will cheat anyway even without the new technology. I think it’s showing little faith in people to think that the Internet is going to make cheating more common. 3. “Students who are inclined to cheat are going to cheat regardless of the technology. I think it’s sort of a cynical notion to think that this new tool is going to spread the incidence of cheating.” (L34) Translation 对想要作弊的学生来说，不管技术水平如何，他 都会作弊。认为因特网这种新工具会提高作弊的 发生率，我觉得这是一种偏激的观点。
ultimate: a. 1. most important, highest 最大的, 极度的 2. last, final 最终的，最后的 ultimate: a. 1. most important, highest 最大的, 极度的 2. last, final 最终的，最后的 他目前最大的目标就是学好科学文化知识 以便将来更好地建设家乡。 His ultimate goal at present is to learn the scientific knowledge well so as to build his hometown better in the future. 返回 Word Using
fake: v. 1. make or copy to trick 伪造 ; 造假 2. pretend 假装 n. a person or thing that is not what he/she/it looks like or sth. that is not real 假货；赝品 fake: v. 1. make or copy to trick 伪造 ; 造假 2. pretend 假装 n. a person or thing that is not what he/she/it looks like or sth. that is not real 假货；赝品 她并没有真哭，只是在装。 ’’ She isn’t really crying, she’s just faking. 这项链看起来像真的，但实际是赝品。 The necklace looks like a real one, but it is a fake.
appropriate: a. right for the occasion; proper, suitable or fitting 合适的, 恰当的 at an appropriate time 在适当的时间 take appropriate measures 采取适当的措施 a remark appropriate to /for the occasion 适合时宜的话 a test appropriate for that level 适合那个水平的测试 at an appropriate time 在适当的时间 take appropriate measures 采取适当的措施 a remark appropriate to /for the occasion 适合时宜的话 a test appropriate for that level 适合那个水平的测试
1. 这位银行职员以自己的生命保护了国家的财产。 2. 不应该一味追求经济增长而置环境污染于不顾。 1. 这位银行职员以自己的生命保护了国家的财产。 2. 不应该一味追求经济增长而置环境污染于不顾。 1.This bank clerk protected the public property at the expense of her life. expense: n. cost or charge 花费 ; 费用 2. Economic growth must not be pursued at the expense of environmental pollution.
句型： have no alternative but to do … 除了 …… 外别无选择 alternative: n. choice, option 选择 因为食品将尽，那些探险者除了返家别无 选择。 Because the explorers were running out of food, they had no alternative but to return home.
available: a. able to be used or obtained; usable 可 使用的，能得到的 1. 使用计算机可以得到更多的信息。 2. 我家没有这本书，你能帮我在图书馆里找一 本吗？ 1. 使用计算机可以得到更多的信息。 2. 我家没有这本书，你能帮我在图书馆里找一 本吗？ 1.More information becomes available through the use of computers. 2. This book is not available at my home. Can you find me one in the library?
figure out: 1. understand (sth. or sb.) with difficulty 理解 2. consciously study; find out by using figures 估算 1. 这位老妈妈怎么也弄不明白她当记者的儿子为什 么要去以色列。 2. 我想请您估算一下这个古玩的价值。 1. 这位老妈妈怎么也弄不明白她当记者的儿子为什 么要去以色列。 2. 我想请您估算一下这个古玩的价值。 1. This old mother could not figure out why her reporter son wanted to go to Israel. reporter son wanted to go to Israel. 1. This old mother could not figure out why her reporter son wanted to go to Israel. reporter son wanted to go to Israel. 2. I’d like you to figure out the value of this antique. antique. 2. I’d like you to figure out the value of this antique. antique. 返回
1. 在中国历史上，许多仁人志士都会先天下 之忧而忧，后天下之乐而乐。 2. 我更倾向于认为她的演讲比你们任何人都 好。 2. I am inclined to think that she has done a better job in the oral competition than any of you. 1. Many people with lofty ideals were inclined to show concern first and to enjoy themselves last in the long history of China. be inclined to: be likely to; tend to; be prone to 倾 向于；容易（做） 返回
1. 不论种族、性别、社会经济地位，所有的人 都享有同等的教育权利。 2. 不顾家人的反对，她毅然决然地投笔从戎了。 1. 不论种族、性别、社会经济地位，所有的人 都享有同等的教育权利。 2. 不顾家人的反对，她毅然决然地投笔从戎了。 1. All people, regardless of race, sex, social or economic status, have an equal right to education. regardless of: not considering 不顾；不管 2. She gave up civilian pursuits to join the army regardless of the objection of her family members.
Old to New ultimateappropriateon-filenightmaretransform regardless of get access to for free proper, suitable, fitting without worrying about without charge or cost change completely have the right to approach greatest, final a terrible dream kept in a file or a database
Change your study habits. Have you sometimes found the ____ to _____ when you didn't study well ______ for a test? Try changing your study habit. Study with a friend or have your _______ help. Do not _____ all your studying into the last ______, and get a good night's _____ before a test. _______, make practice test so you can _____ on those _____ in which you need the most work. focusareas Finally sleep minute parents force enough cheat urge