Presentation on theme: "Topics for discussion: 1.Aims of the IM HAPPY project? 2.What does the project plan entail? 3.How the project came about? 4.Modules 5.Research Objectives."— Presentation transcript:
Topics for discussion: 1.Aims of the IM HAPPY project? 2.What does the project plan entail? 3.How the project came about? 4.Modules 5.Research Objectives 6.Research Summary 7.Research Questions 8.Future expectations
1. Aims of the IM HAPPY project Raising aspirations of participants Improve employment prospects Attract new industries to Coleraine Combining technology and empowerment of the youth and adults
2. How the project came about? Collaboration between UUC, DSD and CBC Widening Access engagement with the community Low uptake in second and third level education from these areas High unemployment in the area 5% rise since 2012 (CBC – Coleraine Times)
3. What does the project plan entail? Delivering IT modules to people in Neighbourhood Renewal areas 3 Community Centres and 2 Schools 4 modules Web Development, App Development, Robotics and Effective Social Media University Accredited modules 5 credits per module Module duration – 2 hours per week for 5 weeks Project duration – September 2013 – March 2015
4. Modules Completed stage 1 Web Development App Development Robotics Ongoing Effective Social Media
6. Research Objectives Find the module that best engages participants Find the module that best engages females Recognise the age range that are currently engaging with the project Identify participants aspirations Monitoring changes in attitude to education and computing
Research Outcome - Engagement Web Development - (individual work) 54 enrolled 27 completed App Development (individual work) 46 enrolled 34 completed Robotics (group work) 36 enrolled 27 completed %Drop out : 0.5% 0.26% 0.25%
Research Outcome – Gender Engagement Female 46% dropped out of Web 26% dropped out of App 0.06% dropped out of Robotics Male 62% dropped out of Web 34% dropped out of App 38% dropped out of Robotics Female Engagement (Web Vs App Vs Robotics) Male Engagement (Web Vs App Vs Robotics)
Research Ongoing – Intro to Social Media A total of 28 participants have enrolled from the 3 community centres. 60% of the participants are ages 65 or older.
Research Outcome - Age from the three Community Centre's 6 from the two Schools from the three Community Centre's 14 from the two Schools from the three Community Centre's 1 from the two Schools from the three Community Centre's Age
Research Outcome - Enrolment Through the four modules, a total of 155 have enrolled. 52 participants have enrolled from West Bann Community Centre. 52 participants have enrolled from St Joseph’s College. 22 participants have enrolled from North Coast Integrated College. 15 participants have enrolled from Ballysally Community Centre. 14 participants have enrolled from Millburn Community Centre.
Research Outcome - Personal Family background Education 20% went to University 58% did not go to University 22% are not sure Students hoping to attend University 80% want to go to University (48% community, 52% school) 20% do not want to go to University Parents went to University I want to go to University
7. Research Outcome Summary App Development has been seen to better engage participants than any other module Robotics can be a better medium in engaging females however this hasn’t been concluded. Shortfall of 18 to 35 years old participants. Majority of the participants aspire to enroll in third level education.
8. Research Questions Has Phase 1 of this project been able to target the people with low aspirations in the renewable areas or alter their mindsets? How do we attract 18 to 35 year olds? Would champions be needed to get more people involved in the project? Is life coaching a further step to assist enrolled participants complete a module?
9. The Future Project Expectations Upskilled workforce in Coleraine COACHes (COmputer ACcredited Helpers) Coaches are trained in the four modules to deliver in the community Life Coaching Identify and break barriers between students & education Increase Participant Numbers New advertising and marketing initiatives. Longevity through Community Code Club Pilot taking place in West Bann