Presentation on theme: "Get a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit Bear"— Presentation transcript:
1Get a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit Bear December 15, 2014Universal themes - Cinderella storiesYeh-Shen vs. SootfaceHomework:Get progress report signedGet a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit BearObjectiveI can evaluate universal themes across multi-cultural texts.Warm Up:What do we mean by UNIVERSAL THEME? Break the term down...What is a THEME? What does it mean if it is UNIVERSAL?
2universal themethemes (message about life or human nature) that are found throughout the literature of all time periods.
3What was the universal theme in Perrault's The Little Glass Slipper?
4Get a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit Bear December 16, 2014Universal themes - Cinderella storiesYeh-Shen vs. SootfaceHomework:Get progress report signedGet a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit BearObjectiveI can evaluate universal themes across multi-cultural texts.Warm Up:Take out your answers to yesterday's questions from Yeh-Shen.
5Turn in your Lit book to pg. 762 Yeh-Shen A Cinderella Story from China
6A. Universal themeReread lines What do you learn about Yeh-Shen from the way she treats her friend? What kind of person is Yeh-Shen?
7B. Universal themeWhy does the stepmother kill the fish?
8C. Compare and contrastLike other folk tales, this Cinderella story contains recurring stylistic elements that serve an important function in the story. One recurring element in folk tales is the magic helper. Who is the magic helper here? How is the magic helper different from the ones in Cinderella stories you know?
9D. Compare and contrastReread lines Why doesn't Yeh-Shen's stepmother allow her to go to the festival?
10E. Universal themeReread the warning line in line 77. What do you predict will happen to the golden slippers?
11F. Compare and contrastWhat effect does losing the slipper have on Yeh-Shen? How is this like or unlike other Cinderella stories you have read?
12G. Compare and contrastHow is the king's plan to find the owner of the slipper similar to and different from the way the prince or king in other Cinderella stories looks for the shoe's owner?
13H. Universal themeHow does the king react when he receives Yeh-Shen's missing slipper as a gift?
14I. Universal themeReread lines Why does the king first think Yeh-Shen is a thief?
15J. Universal themeHow is Yeh-Shen rewarded in the story?
16Get a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit Bear December 16, 2014Universal themes - Cinderella storiesYeh-Shen vs. SootfaceHomework:Get progress report signedGet a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit BearObjectiveI can evaluate universal themes across multi-cultural texts.Warm Up:What do we mean by UNIVERSAL THEME? Break the term down...What is a THEME? What does it mean if it is UNIVERSAL?
17Turn in your Lit book to pg. 770 Sootface An Ojibwa Cinderella story
18A. Universal themeWhat terrible situation is Sootface in?
19B. Universal themeReread lines Why doesn't Sootface's father help her?
20C. Universal themeReread lines Based on your knowledge of other Cinderella stories, who do you predict will pass the test?
21D. Universal themeWhy can't the two sisters see the warrior's bow and bowstrings?
22E. Compare and contrastReread lines Based on what you have read so far, how would you describe Sootface? How is she similar to and different from other Cinderella characters you know?
23G. Cinderella storyHow is Sootface rewarded in the story?
24If you were coming up with a modern day (2014) version of a Cinderella story... Boys - what test would you want Cinderella to pass in order to marry a prince?Girls - what would Cinderella wear to a ball / how would her hair look?
251. What is Yeh-Shen's most precious possession? A. a feathered cloakB. golden slippersC. fish bonesD. a fruit tree2. Why does Yeh-Shen run away from the festival?A. The king and his troops are pursuing her.B. Her stepsister almost recognizes her.C. Her clothing is turning back to rags.D. The old man warns her to leave.
263. Sootface's reaction to her sisters' mistreatment of her is to: A. make them clothes from things in the woodsB. complain to other people in the villageC. tell her father about their bad behaviorD. do her work while hoping for the future4. Why does the hunter give Sootface the name Dawn-Light?A. Her eyes shine with joy.B. She is generous and kind.C. She had radiantly beautiful hair.D. Her intelligence shines through her.
275. The universal theme that goodness and hope are rewarded is best shown in the: A. fates of the sisters and stepmotherB. future lives Yeh-Shen and Sootface will haveC. reactions of the villagers to the girlsD. ways that the girls are treated as children6. Yeh-Shen lives a difficult life because her stepmother:A. stops Yeh-Shen from keeping many petsB. takes away the girl's special fish bonesC. locks Yeh-Shen away from her friendsD. gives her all the unpleasant chores
287. Yeh-Shen tries to recover her lost slippers because she wants to: A. become beautiful againB. gain the attention of the kingC. hear the spirit of the bones againD. ask the old man more of her questions8. Why does Sootface refuse to tell her fatherabout the way her sisters treat her?A. Other people discourage her from telling him because her sisters are pretty.B. She is too afraid of her sisters to tell him about their bad treatment of her.C. She enjoys the hard work that they give her and she wants to do it.D. She knows that her father would tell her to stop complaining.
299. The two songs that Sootface sings reveal that she is: A. kind and generous to her familyB. lonely without any friendsC. hopeful about the futureD. talented at writing songs10. Which sentence best expresses the universal theme found in the two folk tales?A. Goodness and hope can overcome others' desire to cause harm.B. Poverty and shabbiness always hide people's real beauty.C. Supernatural help will always come to those who are mistreatedD. Challenges in life build better families for children.