Presentation on theme: "December 15, 2014 Universal themes - Cinderella stories Yeh-Shen vs. Sootface Ho mework: Get progress report signed Get a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching."— Presentation transcript:
December 15, 2014 Universal themes - Cinderella stories Yeh-Shen vs. Sootface Ho mework: Get progress report signed Get a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit Bear Objective I can evaluate universal themes across multi-cultural texts. Wa rm Up: What do we mean by UNIVERSAL THEME? Break the term down...What is a THEME? What does it mean if it is UNIVERSAL?
universal theme themes (message about life or human nature) that are found throughout the literature of all time periods.
What was the universal theme in Perrault's The Little Glass Slipper?
December 16, 2014 Universal themes - Cinderella stories Yeh-Shen vs. Sootface Ho mework: Get progress report signed Get a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit Bear Objective I can evaluate universal themes across multi-cultural texts. Wa rm Up: Take out your answers to yesterday's questions from Yeh-Shen.
Turn in your Lit book to pg. 762 Yeh-Shen A Cinderella Story from China
Reread lines What do you learn about Yeh-Shen from the way she treats her friend? What kind of person is Yeh- Shen? A. Universal theme
Why does the stepmother kill the fish? B. Universal theme
Like other folk tales, this Cinderella story contains recurring stylistic elements that serve an important function in the story. One recurring element in folk tales is the magic helper. Who is the magic helper here? How is the magic helper different from the ones in Cinderella stories you know? C. Compare and contrast
Reread lines Why doesn't Yeh-Shen's stepmother allow her to go to the festival? D. Compare and contrast
Reread the warning line in line 77. What do you predict will happen to the golden slippers? E. Universal theme
What effect does losing the slipper have on Yeh-Shen? How is this like or unlike other Cinderella stories you have read? F. Compare and contrast
How is the king's plan to find the owner of the slipper similar to and different from the way the prince or king in other Cinderella stories looks for the shoe's owner? G. Compare and contrast
How does the king react when he receives Yeh-Shen's missing slipper as a gift? H. Universal theme
Reread lines Why does the king first think Yeh-Shen is a thief? I. Universal theme
How is Yeh-Shen rewarded in the story? J. Universal theme
December 16, 2014 Universal themes - Cinderella stories Yeh-Shen vs. Sootface Ho mework: Get progress report signed Get a copy of Ben Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit Bear Objective I can evaluate universal themes across multi-cultural texts. Wa rm Up: What do we mean by UNIVERSAL THEME? Break the term down...What is a THEME? What does it mean if it is UNIVERSAL?
Turn in your Lit book to pg. 770 Sootface An Ojibwa Cinderella story
What terrible situation is Sootface in? A. Universal theme
Reread lines Why doesn't Sootface's father help her? B. Universal theme
Reread lines Based on your knowledge of other Cinderella stories, who do you predict will pass the test? C. Universal theme
Why can't the two sisters see the warrior's bow and bowstrings? D. Universal theme
Reread lines Based on what you have read so far, how would you describe Sootface? How is she similar to and different from other Cinderella characters you know? E. Compare and contrast
How is Sootface rewarded in the story? G. Cinderella story
If you were coming up with a modern day (2014) version of a Cinderella story... Boys - what test would you want Cinderella to pass in order to marry a prince? Girls - what would Cinderella wear to a ball / how would her hair look?
1. What is Yeh-Shen's most precious possession? A. a feathered cloak B. golden slippers C. fish bones D. a fruit tree 2. Why does Yeh-Shen run away from the festival? A. The king and his troops are pursuing her. B. Her stepsister almost recognizes her. C. Her clothing is turning back to rags. D. The old man warns her to leave.
3. Sootface's reaction to her sisters' mistreatment of her is to: A. make them clothes from things in the woods B. complain to other people in the village C. tell her father about their bad behavior D. do her work while hoping for the future 4. Why does the hunter give Sootface the name Dawn-Light? A. Her eyes shine with joy. B. She is generous and kind. C. She had radiantly beautiful hair. D. Her intelligence shines through her.
5. The universal theme that goodness and hope are rewarded is best shown in the: A. fates of the sisters and stepmother B. future lives Yeh-Shen and Sootface will have C. reactions of the villagers to the girls D. ways that the girls are treated as children 6. Yeh-Shen lives a difficult life because her stepmother: A. stops Yeh-Shen from keeping many pets B. takes away the girl's special fish bones C. locks Yeh-Shen away from her friends D. gives her all the unpleasant chores
7. Yeh-Shen tries to recover her lost slippers because she wants to: A. become beautiful again B. gain the attention of the king C. hear the spirit of the bones again D. ask the old man more of her questions 8. Why does Sootface refuse to tell her fatherabout the way her sisters treat her? A. Other people discourage her from telling him because her sisters are pretty. B. She is too afraid of her sisters to tell him about their bad treatment of her. C. She enjoys the hard work that they give her and she wants to do it. D. She knows that her father would tell her to stop complaining.
9. The two songs that Sootface sings reveal that she is: A. kind and generous to her family B. lonely without any friends C. hopeful about the future D. talented at writing songs 10. Which sentence best expresses the universal theme found in the two folk tales? A. Goodness and hope can overcome others' desire to cause harm. B. Poverty and shabbiness always hide people's real beauty. C. Supernatural help will always come to those who are mistreated D. Challenges in life build better families for children.