Presentation on theme: "DennisLivyLindaShineEmilyDaniel No.1. OUTLINE Introduction to Wegmans Departments of Wegmans Differentiation strategy ProduceDepartment Human resource."— Presentation transcript:
OUTLINE Introduction to Wegmans Departments of Wegmans Differentiation strategy ProduceDepartment Human resource Department QualityDepartment MeatDepartment Ordering Department Inventory Department Questions about this case
1. Introduction to Wegmans TypePrivate, family business IndustryGrocery FoundedRochester, New York, 1916 HeadquartersRochester, New York Stories83 stores (2013) EmployeesOver 44000 employees (2013)
1. Introduction to Wegmans 100,000 square feet 25 to 30 checkout lanes 500 to 600 employees
1. Introduction to Wegmans fresh production, breads and other baked goods, fresh seafood, meat, deli and imported cheeses, international food, flower shop and household goods.
2. Departments of Wegmans ProduceDepartmentMeatDepartment Human resource Department QualityDepartment Ordering Department Inventory Department
-Produce Department Farm-to-market Transport directly to the Wegmans Reduce costs
-Meat Department Meat University Customized cuts of meatSelling culture
-Inventory Department Companywide system Report indicating Appropriate inventory can reduce costs
-Human resource Department Employee training Reward, profit-sharing and benefits Turnover rates is about 6%
-Quality Department Test kitchen Check and maintain product quality If a customer is dissatisfied with item……
-Ordering Department Scanner records Consider other factorsUnderstand the demand
3. Differentiation strategy Meals-to-go Food experts Informationkiosks Delicious and healthy eating, healthy living
-Meals-to-go Meals-to-go Meals-to-go has also attracted the attention of many consumers. You can even call ahead ordering and pay the bill, and then, parking in the designated area, someone would send the meals to you there.
- Delicious and healthy eating, healthy living A "home meal replacement" concept, that is providing consumers with healthy and delicious prepared foods. Health experience card
-Information kiosks From the summer of 2010, customer can enjoy a more comprehensive food information services in Wegmans. All information about this product.
-Food experts Wegmans also has "food expert", they arrange some food experts in the stores. They can teach customer how to do a delicious and healthy meal.
Q1: How do customers judge the quality of a supermarket? Financial - 3 billion annual sales -invest $ 7,000 to train each new employee Customer satisfaction - good product quality -replacement or refund -food expert -good interaction -Information kiosks
Q1: How do customers judge the quality of a supermarket? Learning and growth - Well trained employee -meat university -Willing to spend money on training employees Internal processes -provide a good purchasing environment - produce system -inventory & ordering management
Q2: Indicate how and why each of these factors is important to the successful operation of a supermarket Customer satisfaction ForecastingLocation Inventory management Layout of the store Scheduling Capacity planning
Supplier Customer satisfaction Layout of the store Location Forecasting Inventory management Capacity planning Scheduling 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Q3: What are some of the ways Wegmans use technology to gain an edge over its competition? Produce department Farm to market system Specially designed containers Inventory system Companywide system Periodic report Meat department Vacuum packaging & Centralized processing Reduce costs and providing improved product Sustainability facilities Exchange bulbs Install sensors in dairy cases