Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

A new study with the dietary supplement called Creatine could possibly strengthen patients muscles by 10 percent There are new ways to strengthen your.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "A new study with the dietary supplement called Creatine could possibly strengthen patients muscles by 10 percent There are new ways to strengthen your."— Presentation transcript:


2 A new study with the dietary supplement called Creatine could possibly strengthen patients muscles by 10 percent There are new ways to strengthen your muscles without doing any work! (the “Abtronic”)

3 Front View

4 Back View


6 Muscular Dystrophy Weakness of the facial muscles/scapula that shows up before age 20 Slow progression 20 % of affected people use wheelchair Causes all around weakness No known cures

7 Smooth Muscles Occurs in small groups or sheets of overlapping cells tightly bound together(ex. Digestive tube, uterus, bladder, respiratory tract, vessels) can regenerate. Spindle-shaped cells with one central nucleus; unstriated, no myofibrils, scattered myosin filaments, actin filaments attached to dense bodies. Contraction produces a cellular twisting motion. Action is slower, but longer lasting, aerobic, resist fatigue. Much of our internal organs are made up of smooth muscles. They are found in the urinary bladder, gallbladder, arteries, and veins. The smooth muscles are controlled by the nervous system and hormones. We cannot consciously control the smooth muscle that is why they are often called involuntary muscles.

8 Skeletal Muscles Bundles of cells run in parallel(fasicle); in various arrangements such as spindles, bands, or sheets;typically between 2 bones and across a joint. Connective tissue is subdivided into three parts which together form part of the deep fascia, merge to form tendons and aponeurosis. Very vascular. There are three skeletal fiber types: Red slow-twitch fibers, White fast-twitch fibers, and Intermediate fibers. The skeletal muscle makes up 40% of an adults body weight. It has the stripe-like markings, or striations. The skeletal muscle is composed of long muscle fibers. Each of these muscles fibers is a cell which contains several nuclei. The nervous system controls the contraction of the muscle. Many of the skeletal muscle contractions are automatic. However we still can control the action of the skeletal muscle. And it is because of this reason that the skeletal muscle is called voluntary muscle.

9 Cardiac Muscles Branching network of cells forming layers that wind in overlapping spirals to from the heart. Cells connected by intercalated discs containing desmosomes and gap junctions. A c.t. layer separates atria from the ventricles. Inherent rhythmic contraction, pacemaker cells, gap junction connections form functional synctium of two atria and of the two ventricles, heart rate moderated by ANS. The cardiac muscles are the muscle of the brain itself. The cardiac muscle is the tissue that makes up the wall of the heart called mydocardium. Also like the skeletal muscles, the cardiac is striated and contracts through the sliding filament method. However it is different from other types of muscles because it forms branching fibers. Unlike the skeletal muscles, the cardiac muscle is attached together instead of being attached to a bone.

10 /muscular/muscular/index.weml To view a movie about the Muscular System and how it functions, click on the site below. ( Wait until the site fully loads then click on View Movie to watch!)


12 The skeletal system provides support, protection, bodily movement, blood for the body, and it stores minerals. It consists of 206 bones that the tissue and organs are attached. All of the main organs are protected by the skeletal system(brain-skull; heart-rib-cage). Muscles are connected to bones by tendons, and bones are connected to each other by ligaments. This is what allows our body to move. Around 2.5 million red blood cells replace old ones each second by the bone marrow, which is in only some bones. Bones store the minerals, calcium and phosphorus. When there is extra of either of these two, it all builds up in the bones. When these minerals in the blood run low, it is taken from the bones and distributed into the blood.

13 /skeletal/skeletalsystem.html /skeletal/skeletalsystem.html To find out more information of the skeletal system, click on the site below!

14 Osteosarcoma is the most common found bone cancer in children. Osteosarcoma is diagnosed in 4 out of every 1 million people each year, and it happens to males more often than females. There is currently no known cure. To treat this disease the bone and its surrounding tissue must be removed. This may be treated with an amputation, or a limb salvage procedure. Chemotherapy is also necessary to treat this disease. This prevents the tumor from spreading. Drugs have come out which help to make the tumor smaller and to prevent it from spreading. Children with localized Osteosarcoma have a 70% chance for survival, but children with metastatic Osteosarcoma have only a 30% chance of living.

15 Osteoporosis Bone condition with the symptoms of bone fragility, pain, fracture, and death from fracture complications 40% of people with this disease are men 25 million Americans are affected No cure yet but there are many projects working to solve this problem. Could be prevented by getting lots of calcium


17 Joints Immovable (2 pieces of bone directly connected with no space in between them): Joints in the skull that cannot be moved Ball/Socket (ex. The shoulder) Shoulder and hip; allows movement in almost full circle Gliding Joint (wrist and ankle, two bones joining one larger bone) Wrist and ankle, back and forth motion Pivot Joint (hand) Ends of the radius, and ulna, rotates with a ring of bone and fibros tissue Hinge (knee/elbow) Allows movement, only back and forth

18 Randi: Bibliography Arnau, Eduard. The Skeletal System. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Wilson, Ron. How the Body Works. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Bibliography: Kathleen How Our Muscles Work by Chelsea House Publishers 1995 The Human Body: The Muscles by Kathleen Elgin 1973

19 Bibliography Cont. –Brett Veronico –Works Cited –Feinberg, Brian. The Musculoskeletal System. New York, Philadelphia: Chelsea House, 1993. –Silverstein, Alvin, and Virginia B. Silverstein. The Skeletal System: Frameworks for life. Englewoods Cliffs, NJ: PRENTICE-HALL, INC., 1972. –Silverstein, Alvin, Virginia Silverstein, and Robert Silvertein. The Muscular System. New York: Twenty-First Century Books, 1994. –The Skeletal System. 9 Jan. 2002. –St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. 9 Jan. 2002. –Joe Schaffer –Works Cited –Feinberg, Brian. The Musculoskeletal System. New York: Chelsea House, 1993. –Muscular System. 1 Jan. 2002. –Muscular system. 8 Jan. 2002. –Muscular System. 8 Jan. 2002. –Silverstein, Alvin, Viginia Silverstein, and Robert Silverstein. Muscular System. New York: Twenty First Century Books, 1994. –Silverstein, Alvin, Virginia Silverstein, and Robert Silverstein. The Skeletal System. New York: Twenty First Centur Books, 1994.

20 Thanks for watching!

Download ppt "A new study with the dietary supplement called Creatine could possibly strengthen patients muscles by 10 percent There are new ways to strengthen your."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google