Presentation on theme: "YOU & HEALTH INSURANCE: THE WHY, WHAT AND HOW FOR MAKING A SMART CHOICE University of Maryland Extension programs are open to all citizens and will not."— Presentation transcript:
YOU & HEALTH INSURANCE: THE WHY, WHAT AND HOW FOR MAKING A SMART CHOICE University of Maryland Extension programs are open to all citizens and will not discriminate against anyone because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry, or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation, or gender identity and expression.
What is your favorite football team? 1. Redskins (the right answer) 2. Ravens (the wrong answer) 3. Eagles (Blah!) 4. Giants (the other Manning) 5. Other This is the statement to say to the participants:
Will You Help Us? Research Consent Form This research has been reviewed according to the University of Maryland, College Park, Institutional Review Board procedures for research involving human subjects. University of Maryland College Park Institutional Review Board Office, 1204 Marie Mount Hall, College Park, Maryland, 20742 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: email@example.com
Agree to Participate? 1) I agree to participate in this research 2) I do not wish to participate in this research
Our Plan for Today is… To explore the information you need to make the best health insurance decision for you and your family based on your needs and how much you can afford.
Key Questions I Need to Answer Why? Why do I need health insurance? Why is it important? What? What do I need and want? What are my choices? How? How much will it cost? How much can I afford? My Smart Choice
1) How many currently have health insurance? 1. I currently have health insurance 2. I do not currently have health insurance
2) For those who currently have health insurance, how do you get your insurance? 1. Employer 2. Purchase it yourself 3. Spouse or partner 4. Medicare/Medicaid 5. Parent 6. Other source 7. Not currently insured
3) Have you heard of the health insurance marketplace/exchange? 1. Yes 2. No
Why? Why do I need health insurance? Why is it important? My Smart Choice
Why Health Insurance? Provides peace of mind Protects your family’s financial future Health and wellness services and programs Better health outcomes
New Protections and Benefits Expanded coverage for young adults Free preventive care and annual checkups No lifetime maximums Coverage for those with preexisting conditions beginning January 2014
4) How familiar are you with health insurance terms (such as coinsurance, copayment, deductible, or coinsurance)? 1. Not at all familiar 2. Slightly familiar 3. Moderately familiar 4. Very familiar 5. Extremely familiar
5) If you had to choose health insurance right now, how confident are you in making this selection? 1. Not at all confident 2. Slightly confident 3. Moderately confident 4. Very Confident 5. Extremely confident
Choosing Health Insurance Using the health insurance plans in front of you, chose the one that best fits you and your family.
6) How confident are you in your decision? 1. Not at all confident 2. Slightly confident 3. Moderately confident 4. Very Confident 5. Extremely confident
What? What do I need and want? What are my choices? My Smart Choice
12) Which of these categories best describes your race? 1. Asian/Pacific Islander 2. Black/African American 3. Hispanic or Latino 4. Native American or American Indian 5. White/Non-Hispanic 6. Other
13) What is the highest level of education you have completed? 1. Less than high school 2. High school graduate/GED 3. Some college or associate’s degree 4. Bachelor’s degree 5. Graduate or professional degree
14) What is your total income from all sources? 1. Less than $10,000 2. $10,000 to $14,999 3. $15,000 to $24,999 4. $25,000 to $34,999 5. $35,000 to $49,999 6. $50,000 to $74,999 7. $75,000 to $99,999 8. $100,000 to $149,999 9. $150,000 to $199,999 10. $200,000 or more
15) In which county do you live? 1. Enter Answer Text
Final Questions 1. What was most beneficial or useful? 2. What needs to be included? 3. Is there anything we should know about this as we continue to develop the program?
Acknowledgements This pilot project was developed with funding from the University of Maryland Extension Program Development team: University of Maryland Extension: Bonnie Braun, Virginia Brown, Shannon Dill, Nicole Finkbeiner, Christine Garcia, Jinhee Kim, Lynn Little, Teresa McCoy, Mia Russell, Crystal Terhune, & Andrew Williams University of Delaware Extension: Maria Pippidis